Sexual restrictions/prohibitions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Arno F.
    Participant
    Are there or have there been religious restrictions or prohibitions of sexual intercourse during a woman's menstruation, pregnancy, childbed and breast-feeding in Jewish, orthodox, Catholic and Islamic religions?

User Detail :  

Name : Arno F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 72, City : Lahti, State : NA Country : Finland, Occupation : physician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Augustine23407
    Participant
    Traditionally, there has been no prohibition in Catholic teaching of sexual intercourse during pregnancy or breastfeeding. In fact, the breastfeeding period is usually infertile and is used by orthodox Catholics as part of the natural means of spacing births. By 'childbed' I assume you mean the period immediately following birth; I cannot imagine requesting or consenting to sex until all effects of the pregnancy and birth have had ample time to heal (this would seem to fall under the broad heading of 'thou shalt not kill', i.e., not wishing to engage in something that could harm the wife). Practicing traditional Catholics would not wish to engage in sex during menstruation either; this was prohibited in the Old Testament and is not pleasant to contemplate regardless of one's religion. (I know some would differ with me on this.)

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23407, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Me21918
    Participant
    In Judaism, taken from the Torah, there are restrictions spelled out. I don't remember the text exactly, but it does prohibit having sex during a woman's 'unclean period.' I'm not sure, however, how many people really abide by that anymore. As far as pregnancy and breast-feeding, I don't believe there are (in Judaism).

User Detail :  

Name : Me21918, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : SF Bay Area, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt22004
    Participant
    In Judaism, there were such restrictions at one time (see the Book of Leviticus for more information). At present, these restrictions are mostly followed by Orthodox Jews. I don't know about Catholics or Muslims, but I don't think they have such restrictions.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22004, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

mary21955
    Participant
    orthodox christians are 'prohibited' from sexual intercourse during menstration, but not during breastfeeding or pregnancy.

User Detail :  

Name : mary21955, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 19, City : austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

EJ
    Participant
    In Judaism, you cannot have sexual intercourse when a woman is in mentruation, you must wait 7 clean days after her period is done. YOu also cannot have sex immdeiatly after childbirth, but while pregnant and breast-feeding, there is no problem. The issue is about seeing blood and 'being ritually impure' and need to immerse in a ritual bath. But don't fret, men also have times when they too are ritually impure and are forbidden realtionships with their wives until they go to the ritual bath to immerse as well.

User Detail :  

Name : EJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 28, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Joe30621
    Participant
    I'm curious as to what prompted this question (granted, you asked it three years ago :) ) Anyway, in Judaism, there is a prohibition against being intimate during the time of menstruation and for a week afterward. One understanding of this is that anything associated with death causes 'impurity' (which doesn't mean dirtiness or less valuable...) almost as a counterpoint to religions like ancient Egyptian who made death the focus of the religion. Menstruation is the time when a potential person (the egg and the uterine lining which would have nurtured it) are lost, and this is analogous to a mini-death. That is one understanding of the reason for the separation. The prohibition only exists when blood is emitted, so it comes into play monthly and at birth. During pregnancy and nursing there is perhaps a greater responsibility to be intimate (as the woman often feels less attractive - and don't tell me you've never heard a pregnant lady get upset that she is 'fat'). One other thing - people hear the menstrual separation law, but no one knows that it is an obligation (during the permissible time) to actually have sexual relations. This too is a commandment!

User Detail :  

Name : Joe30621, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 26, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : medical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J21476
    Participant
    The only restrictions in Catholicism are those against pre-marital sex.

User Detail :  

Name : J21476, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.