Self-proclaimed ugliness

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Pike
    I need to know, folks: Are there any other people who can acknowledge their ugliness? I'm an ugly guy, both by society's standards and my own. This isn't a self-esteem thing like most "ugly" people have. This is the truth, and it seems to me that a lot of people who claim to be ugly really are just too proud to admit their actual good looks. I want to hear from anyone else on their takes of how they look. Are you tired of hearing that phrase "inner beauty"?

User Detail :  

Name : Pike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Slidell, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Terry24709
    Participant
    In today's society, people who say they are attractive are considered conceited. Some people look at what the media says is beautiful (blond hair, blue eyes, thin, etc) and compare it with themselves (none of the above) and assume they must be ugly. I personally have never met an 'ugly' person, I have met some people with some features that take awhile to adjust to. I met a guy with burns and scars all over his face once, and it took a while to get used to, but after awhile I didn't even care about that anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Terry24709, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    Yes! I'm also tired of hearing about 'inner beauty'. I'm also ugly by society's standards and my own. I'm a fat woman, size 22/24 in New Zealand sizes, and I've had enough comments from 'gee, have you ever thought of going on a diet' to men calling out 'fat bitch' at me in the street to know that society thinks that fat people are ugly. I think some people must realise that this fact might be hurtful for fat people because I've had a number of people try and get me to do the 'believe you're beautiful' thing, including a psychologist. I refuse to do it. Trying to delude myself into believing in a fairytale doesn't make me feel better. What's wrong with saying, 'I'm ugly, life's tough, I'm just going to get on with my life'. For those of you in any doubt, YES I have tried dieting, for twenty years, and I'm not going to do it anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Trust no manager, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michell20528
    Participant
    While I am not necessarily scary to look at, I am considered quite plain. When I am out in public, I do not get a second glance, and I know that it is not because I am married. The funny thing is, that because I am so plain, people feel quite comfortable making insensitive remarks about appearance around me. If I am not wearing a face full of makeup, a fussy hairdo, and expensive clothing, I am asked, "Are you tired?" or "Are you ill?" Friends of my huband make comments about how good looking other women are, and even other peoples' wives, in my presence, without ever so much as giving me a sideways glance. It is pretty disheartening to live in a society that places so much importance on a woman's appearance, and knowing that you don't measure up.

User Detail :  

Name : Michell20528, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    I agree that many of us place physical beauty to high on the pillars of life. Some of us try to be a little more sensitve to personality in stead of physical looks. I can't lie though, those of us that are 'plainer' than others have to work a little harder in our society to get recognized. It is unfortunate, but it is human.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    Your "question," Pike, underscores one of the worst problems we have in our society. We allow Madison Avenue and Hollywood to set our perceptions of what is acceptable. They tell us how we should look, how much we should weigh, how our hair should be combed, how we should smell, what we should like, etc. Frankly, I'm so sick of the emphasis these two locations place on beauty and other shallow perceptions that I could spit. All of us, young, old, fat, thin, strong, weak, pretty, ugly, rich and poor are children of a rather interesting and knowledgeable God. Be whom your creator created and let the shallow people be themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Matthew21838
    Participant
    I am considered by most to be a physically attractive/sexy person. Although my plight differs from yours, I have always heard that it is not the outer beauty of a person, but rather the "inner beauty" that counts. Maybe people were telling me this for reasons of my own vanity, but nonetheless, it really has made a difference in my life to develop that side of me. And more importantly, at my age, it is one's inner beauty that I respond to now.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew21838, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mrs. Williams
    Participant
    I respect your for being honest. I have always been cute, not beautiful or pretty, just very cute. I have not problems not being pretty or beautiful. I am the best I can be at cute and I enjoy it.

User Detail :  

Name : Mrs. Williams, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Athens, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Nancy
    Participant
    'Inner beauty' does seem to be overused to a point that when you say it to someone they take it as a polite way of saying their outer beauty is lacking, however, I can tell you that my outer beauty went unnoticed to me for a long time because my inner beauty was coated in sludge. My lack of self-esteem caused my entire person to become ugly to myself and others. To make a long story short, some therapy sessions later and I like myself, and because of that I smile and there is a sparkle in my eye...the outer beauty lives again. Remember that beauty goes beyond the surface. Are blue eyes still beautiful if they are vacant and lifeless??

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.