Seeking Spaniards’ views

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant
    To people who are either from Spain or Latin America but consider themselves fully Spanish: How do modern Spaniards view the actions of their ancestors toward the indigenous people of the Americas? Are 'heroes' such as Columbus, Cortes and Pizarro viewed in any different light than before? How is the Spanish Conquest discussed in the schools and places of higher education? Is there a difference between how older and younger people regard the past? How are Pre-Columbian civilizations now viewed? In what regard do Spanish people hold modern Amerindians? Any insight is much appreciated. I have a few friends who are from South America and Spain, yet we never have gotten around to talking about this.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Oscar-Montoya
    Participant
    I cannot speak for everyone but in my view the whole 'discovery' of the Americas brought nothing but pain to everyone. It is still celebrated in many parts of the world especially Spain but to be honest i think there is very little to celebrate. There was nothing to be discovered, people were already there!! Obviously this is something greatly discussed in Spanish schools but Spain with its history ( like all countries with their history )is very carefull what it teaches its youngsters. It makes the conquistadors out to be great heroes and romaticizes the whole ' conquest of the Americas'

User Detail :  

Name : Oscar-Montoya, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.