Rolled Coins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Amy
    Participant
    Can someone refuse to accept rolled coins as a form of payment? And if they do, are you still obligated to pay? I heard somewhere that you cannot refuse "legal tender" and still expect to get paid.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greg21566
    Participant
    A lawyer friend tells me that a payment can be made in any 'reasonable' fashion. What's reasonable? You could not try to pay off a $1 million debt in pennies (it happened) or put your payment check in the middle of a barrel of manure (that also happened). On the other hand, the collector of said debt cannot be unreasonable ,either. What is 'reasonable ' is left to the lawyers to decide.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg21566, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 48, City : Rock Island, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Retail manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave26014
    Participant
    As for taking rolled coins as payment, be sure to open the roll before you let the person leave. 'duh' you say? A local convenience store owner took a roll of 'nickels' as payment from a regular customer one time. Later that day when he opened the roll, only the coin on each end of the roll was a real nickel. The 'coins' in between were washers. This is why many people refuse rolled coins.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26014, City : Windsor, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Gary W.
    First, remember that the concept of "legal tender" relates only to the settlement of a debt; so an establishment could certainly refuse to make a sale unless payment were in an acceptable form. Next, the recipient of payment certainly has a right to verify the amount offered in payment; perhaps they have a right to charge for the cost of counting the coin even when the coins are offered in settlement of a debt. Finally, I believe I have read that statute law makes various coins legal tender only up to specified amounts.

User Detail :  

Name : Gary W., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Golden, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.