Riders, We Harley Knew Ye

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Deb
    Participant
    What are the opinions of people who do not ride motorcycles of the people who do ride them (i.e. Harleys or sports bikes, Ninja style, etc.)? Is there a stereotype or preconceived notion of what these people are like, and of the different types of riders, such as Harley riders vs. Ninja-style riders?
    Original Code GD66. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Deb, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Pelzer, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Married with Children, 

Mike K.
    Participant
    I knew a kid from Calgary who was a couple years younger than me. His mother had died when he was 10, and he didn't know where his dad was. Out of the kindness of his heart, his mother's ex-husband took him in, moved him from Calgary to where he was in the Middle East and paid for his private school education. And he used to ride a Harley. I would say don't stereotype Harley riders; it takes all sorts.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike K., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : almost 19, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michele20517
    Participant
    I have to say that I do tend toward preconceptions about Harley riders. When I was growing up in the Deep South, my parents were friends with a group of stereotypical overweight, white bearded, drug-dealing/drug-using poor white trailer-park bikers, and they lived up to every bad image out there. I try to be careful about this, and when I see a responsible rider on a reasonably quiet bike I don't tend to have any problems - I'll usually try to be more considerate, since my little Cavalier is so much more a danger. If the bike is unnecessarily noisy, though, or if the rider is splitting lanes or otherwise acting irresponsibly, my immediate reaction is contempt.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele20517, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Software programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marc-H
    Participant
    My reactions to bike riders vary. My typical reaction to seeing a stereotypical biker with jean jackets, leather, long beard or whatever is in some ways envy. I only wish I could have the type of freedom that some of those guys have. I have no problem with Harley riders; they are riding to enjoy the road, to take in the experience. On the other hand, when I see some yuppie or spoiled rich kid riding the newest edition of speedbike 2000, I feel nothing but contempt. It has been my experience that these people like nothing more than to show off how fast their bikes go, without regard to courtesy or prudence on the road

User Detail :  

Name : Marc-H, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian/white, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Manhattan, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Denise
    Participant
    Although I do not ride a bike - the last 5 guys I have dated all do - none of them owns or has ever owned a Harley - but the basic opinion of harley riders from what I understand is the stereotype most people have of them - greasy bikers, hells angels types. All five of these guys has a 'rice-rocket' (2 ninjas, 2 GSXRs an one Honda) And I would say for the most part they are responsible hard working normal type people. Only one of them could be classed as a risk taker - a real nutbar. It is just the way they choose to relax and enjoy life. It is unfortunate that people perceive these guys this way - but I understand why they do - I did too until I got to know a bunch of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : London, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    When it comes to motorcycles and our sterotypes of them, mine was set in my mind by my uncle. He belonged to a "gang" that rode Harleys. I'll never forget what he told me at a very young age. "Never get on anything but a Harley, or you'll end up getting hurt." He was right! The first time I got on a Honda I burnt the inside of my calf. I believe that Harley riders are a lot safer than your Ninja-style riders. Harleys are not about speed but about pride. They take a lot of pride when it comes to their motorcycles, and so they tend to be more cautious when they ride. As for your Ninja riders, they're more about speed and don't have a clue sometimes about what's coming around the corner.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen Davis, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Nicky
    Participant
    Even though there are those who do ride them, in the medical community they are known as "donorcycles." This is because there is no protection in accidents. The drivers of both cars and bikes cut each other off, and the bikers weave in and out of traffic like it's a slolum. Here in Texas they passed a helmet law, but a few years later it was repealed. Gee, just what we need - more brain-damaged people 'living' in nursing homes at taxpayers' expense. I wouldn't ride one for any amount of money.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Roger29610
    Participant
    I've ridden motorcycles for 40 years and have owned dirt bikes, crotch-rockets, cruisers and Harleys. As a general rule the rockets and dirt bikes are typically ridden by the under 30 crowd whereas the cruisers and Harleys are generally an older adult with more expendable income. The Harley riders are the most diverse group I think because the image runs the gamut from long-haired, beer drinking women chasing rebel, to the well-to-do status symbol seeking professional who can pay for a highly customized chopper on his expense account. I've met dirt-bags on every kind of bike and wonderful friends on the same bikes. As for the noisy Harley...when you have been run over as many times as bikers have from car drivers that 'didn't see you' , you will do whatever it takes to let drivers know you are there. Loud pipes do a great job announcing your presence and most of us like the sound. We apologize to those who this offends, but I choose my safety over you occasional annoyance.

User Detail :  

Name : Roger29610, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 51, City : Daytona, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rose25239
    Participant
    I have never been on a motorbike but I have a huge obsession with them. Bikes, particularly classic bikes, are incredibly photogenic. I love attempting to sketch them. I admire girls who ride motorbikes for doing something traditionaly masculine. I abandon my feminist principles when it comes to guys with motorbikes and would love to have a boyfriend with a motorbike. I see someone with a bike as exciting and unafraid of danger. Yes I realise this is probably an immature atittude, but at least it's a harmless obsession.

User Detail :  

Name : Rose25239, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Bangor, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.