Raw about Sushi etiquette

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gari-son
    Participant
    While in a Sushi bar, why are you served pieces that are too big to put in your mouth all at once, and that will fall apart if you try to bite them in half? Also why is there no way to cut them (chopsticks don't do it)? And why is there no place for all the food to fall when you try to divide it?

User Detail :  

Name : Gari-son, City : West Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Carlton19245
    Participant
    Native Japanese chefs don't prepare or serve Sushi like that. If they do go big, they don't do maki (rolls), they do nigiri (a piece of fish bound to a ball of rice). 'Bigger is better' is an Americanism that, as you can see, doesn't work out with Sushi. Real Sushi is pretty small and understated. It has to be enhanced considerably to be sold in America.

User Detail :  

Name : Carlton19245, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Iteki
    As a total sushi-nut and somewhat of a sushi-snob, I am guessing that the falling apart in mid-bite is a result of one of two things: It could be poorly made sushi, probably by someone who has not had the seven years of education (afik) needed to become a sushi chef. It could also be bad 'sushi-eating-skills.' Most people I have seen eating sushi do so in the most bizarre manner (to my sushi-love-slave way of thinking). Usually I see people either pull off the topping with their chopsticks and eat that first, and then attack the poor bed of rice, or (sin of all sins) dip them upside down! By upside down I mean dipping the rice side of the sushi in the soy sauce. Only the topping should be dipped, if you must dip. It is very bad etiquette to let the soy contaminate the rice, which is considered holy in Japan. I have even seen people lift up their sushi bit and place it carefully in the bowl of soy, letting it sit there and soak for a while before trying to eat it! As for why it can't be cut in two pieces, if that were necessary, it would be served in two pieces. As it is, they are perfectly proportioned to grab one bite to satisfy the craving, then pop the last half in and savour slowly. To answer your question about why there is nothing to catch the bits you drop, the answer is don't drop! Properly made and eaten, sushi should be easily managed and have a sufficiantly sticky consistency that not a grain of rice escapes. Worth bearing in mind is that sushi is perfectly acceptable 'finger food.' It is just as allowed to eat it with your fingers as, for example, fried chicken in the states. Place thumb and middle finger on either side, and a supportive index finger accross the top, turn your palm face up and dip the topping, yum! Sorry about this post, but I am living in a small, sushi-less town at the moment and haven't had access to sushi in months. Abstinence is a cruel thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Iteki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Recovering Catholic, Age : 25, City : Stockholm (Via Dublin), State : NA Country : Sweden, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.