Racial slur?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Martem-M
    Participant
    Why is it that some blacks will get angry when a white person uses the word "nigger," but they will take no offense when, during conversation, they call each other "nigger"? I've been witness to this many a time, and it infuriates me.

User Detail :  

Name : Martem-M, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andrea31622
    Participant
    With many African Americans, the 'N-word' is used as a term of endearment or a nickname. It's no different from when a person calls their little brother 'Shorty' or 'Stupid,' but who would be angry if someone outside the family called him those names.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea31622, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 36, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia P.
    Participant
    Many people do not understand this and think it is a 'double standard' or an overaction. However, it is not any of those. When a white person calls a black person a 'nigger' it is just about the most insulting and degrading comment. It dehumanizes the person and therefore allows the person using the word to feel a sense of power. It is about what the word stands for. Whites often used and continue to use the word today in order to separate themselves from blacks and dehumanize blacks, thereby 'justifing' their hate. Perhaps the best explanation I have read is found in Andrew Hacker's book Two Nations Black and White Separate, Hostile, Unequal. I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I am a college student and this was what we used as a textbook one semester. It really does explain many of the common questions on race. To quote directly from the book: 'When a white person voices it, it becomes a knife with a whetted edge. No black person can hear it with equanimity or ignore it as 'simply a word.' This word has the force to pierce, to wound, to penetrate, as no other has. There have, of course, been terms like 'kike' and 'spick' and 'chink.' But these are less frequently heard today, and they lack the same emotional impact. Some nonethnic terms come closer, such as 'slut' and 'fag' and 'cripple.' Yet, 'nigger' stands alone with its power to tear at one's insides. It is revealing that whites have never created so wrenching an epithet for even the most benighted members of their own race. Black people may use 'nigger' among themselves, but with a tone and intention that is known and understood. Even so, if you are black, you know white society devised this word and keeps it available for use. (Not officially, of course, or even in print; but you know it continues to be uttered behind closed doors.) Its persistance reminds you that you are still perceived as a degraded species of humanity, a level to which whites can never descend.' Hacker, A. (1992) Two Nations Black and White Separate, Hostile, Unequal. New York: Ballantine Books. I can not recommend this book enough! It is wonderful.

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia P., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 20, City : Kissimmee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Gia
    Participant
    First of all, why does it infuriate you? Why should it? Because you want to use it yourself? I don't understand why people obsess over this word. No one should be using this word. It is a curse word, pure and simple, no matter how endearing someone tries to say it. I don't like it and neither do most of the people in my family. And I have asked the people who do use it not to use it around me. Would you like it if I went up to you and said, 'Hey wassup, cracker?' Even if I mean it in a friendly way, they are offensive words.

User Detail :  

Name : Gia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debbie25777
    Participant
    Martem, it is the origin of the word. The word was used by slave owners and is a word created in white culture. Thus it is a very derogatory term coming from a white person--it represents oppression, slavery, and institutionalized racism. When one member of the culture uses it to refer to someone else within that culture, they come from the same place, face the same discrimination, and oppression--thus it is not taken as it is when it comes from a white person. I hope this helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie25777, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann23801
    Participant
    I have a couple of thoughts on that. First, within my close cirle of friends, we can insult each other and call each other names such as 'Dog Breath' or 'Piggy.' It's understood that the meaning behind the term is one of affection and respect. Of course, you wouldn't dare call someone 'Dog Breath' or 'Piggy' outside that close circle unless you meant to hurt that person. I would never call my friends those names unless it was not in public. Secondly, it may also be a way to take the negative power out of the term and give it a more positive spin. For example, I was always called a nerd in high school, which made my self-esteem fall through the floor. As I got older I began to call myself a nerd. When I use that term for myself the meaning changes a bit. I now become someone who doesn't follow the crowd, I do what I like without regard to what people may say or think, and I am much happier now that I have 'embraced my nerdiness,' so to speak. My point is that a word is as powerful as the meaning behind it, and part of the meaning comes from who the word is from and to whom is it intended.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann23801, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Knoxville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : librarian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer30895
    Participant
    That's just like calling a white person cracker. It's considered a racial slur when someone outside their own race says it. It's two different ways to say it Nigga or Nigger. I've heard white people using it among themselves, but never to an individual black person.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30895, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Columbia, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : College student/retail, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

William
    There is a big difference in the use of, and the reactions to, the words 'cracker' and 'nigger.' First, white people don't use the term cracker when greeting one another. Secondly, when YOU use the word cracker when describing us or trying to insult us, we do not care. It just does not carry any weight with us.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marron-Bella22140
    Participant
    So what? it does not offend you. Big deal, then why are you making it an issue? Obviously, it does weigh a little on your mind. I guess you just wanted to be heard. Or maybe you wanted an opportunity to say the word 'nigger'. Oh, and one more thing, it's 'nigga', not 'nigger'.

User Detail :  

Name : Marron-Bella22140, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Clerical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.