Procreation Permit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Julia-S
    Participant
    Why is it that people are required to have a license in order to drive and to hunt, and you must be 18 to vote, but anyone may have a child? What do people think about passing a law that made reproducing a privilege, and what would be the impact?
    Original Code A33. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Julia-S, Gender : F, Age : 17, City : Sutter Creek, State : CA Country : United States, 

Amma
    Participant
    I don't think that could ever work! That would be like telling a bird they aren't allowed to have babies until they pass a class on how to catch worms. All life has the instinct to reproduce. How could you limit that? We already have so many of our rights taken away by our societies and governments! Reproduction is a natural right. You have the right to breathe and eat and reproduce. Those are our most basic rights way before the right to bear arms or vote. Nobody has the right to tell you that you cannot breathe or eat. So, why should anyone have the right to limit anyone's reproductive rights?

User Detail :  

Name : Amma, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

christine32079
    Participant
    Or as I like to call it BREEDING ! I am sick to death of children having children! And not only do they do it once, but a couple of times.It really needs to stop.

User Detail :  

Name : christine32079, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : monroe, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

april23750
    Participant
    I read an article where they were paying mothers who had their children taken away 600 dollars to be voluntarily sterilized. I think that it is such a wonderful idea. I am appaled by how many unfit mothers/fathers there are today. There are so many methods of contraception but yet so many unwanted/unplanned pregnancies every year. A law mandating who can have a child seems a little extreme but I do believe that people who abuse their children or have them taken away should be sterilzed.

User Detail :  

Name : april23750, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : fowlerville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, 

J-French21276
    Participant
    Even though this is probably impossible from a bureaucratic, regulatory point of view, I do think that a lot of seriously unsuitable people are having kids. I heard one suggestion of parenting classes in high school, and that seems okay, it might help. But you also have to think about what would qualify you as parent. Could people with physical disabilities have kids? Would it matter if disabilities were congenital or aquired? What about mental disabilities? What if someone is not very educated, or has a low IQ? What if they are poor? Creating criteria for childbearing opens up a lot of issues that humans have with discrimination and could easily be used to try to create 'better' humans or discriminate against many different groups. I guess I don't have an answer except to say that while I understand your sentiment, trying to decide who is 'worthy' to parent and who is not is a dangerous way to start deciding who is worthy to contribute to society or not...

User Detail :  

Name : J-French21276, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.