Post Racial Era

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ChrisM
    I've noticed a new openness expressed by African-Americans I meet randomly in public since the election of Barack Obama. I'm white and I've experienced more eye contact, smiles and small talk beside the requisite nod or hello... Could it be that many black folks, prior to the election, assumed I was - as a white middle aged man - a racist - even if just a little, and now know that many of us voted for a black man for our president? Have we entered a post-racial era - or is this just temporary?

User Detail :  

Name : ChrisM, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I live in a racially diverse community. There does seem to be a less racial tension. The election of Obama is highly symbolic. I'm white and I voted on issues, not color, as did a vast number of Americans. Isn't that indicative of a "color-blind" society? There's a public radio show called "News & Notes" which deals with issues concerning blacks and other people of color. Although I find it a pretty intelligent show, I was taken aback to hear one of the recent broadcasts cautioning listeners not to assume that the election of Obama means we are in a post-racial era. I'm not naive, but let's not stir things up. There will always be racists and other bigots, but I get tired of hearing blacks scream, "it's racial" to explain or justify any disagreement or problem between a b

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    The "progressive" (aka borderline Communist) radio station in my area now runs nothing but Obama hating propaganda. If their callers "of color" are any indication, race relations have only gotten worse. They feel let down already that Obama hasn't stocked his cabinet with radicals and irritated that this might give mainstream Americans a slight reprieve in their white guilt. Having said that, most educated blacks I work with and know feel that it's progress.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.