Picking and choosing from the Bible

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

BL23446
    Participant
    Why is it that religious leaders, or people perceived to be religious leaders, pick and choose from the Bible what they want you and I to believe? Raised a Catholic, I was taught God created everything and was in everyone. Does this mean God erred in making homosexuals? Is 'man' correct to go against God's will (if it is assumed God does not err) by preaching against His creating homosexuals? Can one say that the Bible was written, in part, by a group of men who were homophobic?

User Detail :  

Name : BL23446, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Burlington, State : VT Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Priscilla30292
    Participant
    Absolutely: the Bible was written by a group of men who were homophobic. I think Paul was possibly a closet queer battling with his own sexuality.

User Detail :  

Name : Priscilla30292, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John29285
    Participant
    You seem to have missed the message that God gave man the gift of free will. Just because he created man doesn't guarantee that man will be perfect. Can one say that the Bible was written by men who were against adultery, idolatry, witchcraft, etc... I guess it depends on what you believe the Bible is and what it means to you...

User Detail :  

Name : John29285, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 34, City : Mt. Clemens, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

PB19837
    Participant
    First of all, it's not only so called religious leaders who pick and choose. It's everyone from Christians to Atheists. That's why it is so important for us to read the Bible ourselves, so we know when people are being selective. When people have to pick and choose is when I get suspicious. As for homosexuals, God didn't create them as a seperate type of person. Remember God created Adam and Eve, and He created them perfect. THEY disobeyed Him and brought sin into the world. Homosexuality is one result of that sin, as is adultery,lying, murder, and on and on. So when people speak against homosexuality they are not speaking against God or saying He erred. They're speaking against a sin. No I don't think some of the writers were homophobic (whatever that really means) but simply speaking out against a particular sin. Just as they did about other sins.

User Detail :  

Name : PB19837, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Appleton, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Elizabeth-C
    Participant
    Religious leaders pick and choose parts of the Bible because they're human beings, and it's human nature to find certain parts of any document more important than other parts. It's like asking why liberals find the First Amendment to be of the utmost importance while ignoring the Second Amendment. You're raised a certain way, and in you are certain prejudices, and when you find those prejudices backed up in a holy book, of course that's what you're going to tell everyone about. As for God making homosexuals, there's no scientific proof, first of all, that homosexuality is genetic. There's some evidence for it, and while I tend to believe in that evidence, it's certainly far from scientific fact at this point. After that, you have to consider the fact that the Bible never expressly condemns homosexuality, it only condemns the act of homosexual sex. As such, God can be quite pleased with a gay person, as long as he isn't having sex with another gay person. As for the Bible being written by homophobes, I think that's an unfair accusation. Certainly there's no fear of homosexuals expressed in the Bible. I think it unfair to call anyone who disagrees with homosexuality on moral grounds a homophobe. Perhaps the writers of the Bible were trying to follow the ancient dictate of their god to 'Go forth and multiply.' Now, there's something a homosexual in those days couldn't do.

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth-C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Mansfield, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mary21977
    Participant
    (The following is copied from an e-mail) Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this? I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify? I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21977, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 56, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Verus
    Why do people pick and choose laws and dogma from the Bible to form their beliefs? Because it's easier to do that, and act automatically, then to choose to act in a loving way. The problem with seeing the Bible as incorruptible, is that there are many contradictions. In the Book of Job, God admits to unfathomable intentions, He says that He is everything, all powerful, good and evil both. Whereas Jesus taught that God was love, and that tolerance and forbearance were holy, and that He loved us all as His children, and would never want us to feel pain. Jesus talked about a flexible and changing religion, something that could adapt to new peoples and cultures. He wanted that message to be spread among non-Jewish people, and so the adherence to Mosaïc law (all the 'unclean' proscriptions in Leviticus, that kept Jews Jewish) was de-emphasized. That's why Christians eat pork and shellfish and don't consider it sinful. St. Paul did write that sexual acts between two men were sinful, but divinely inspired or not, he didn't ascribe that admonishment to Jesus. The Gospels say nothing about Jesus' attitude toward love between two people of the same sex. Perhaps He did say something and it wasn't recorded, perhaps He didn't care one way or another, perhaps He thought that love between two people of the same sex was valuable. We don't know. We do know that Jesus wanted people to choose to act in a more loving way. We know that He didn't want them to act like Bible robots, just following rules. In Jesus' parable, the "Good" son that stayed home and followed the rules without thinking was not rewarded, it was the Prodigal son, who thought for himself, who made mistakes, and who finally chose the loving life, he was the one who was rewarded.

User Detail :  

Name : Verus, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 37, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Laura W.
    The trick is to really know all the Bible because Scripture will explain other Scriptire. Now, I don't know where in the Bible it says that God is in everyone. It does say that he has made everyone and everything for his glory. But it also says in Romans 6:23 that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Romans 7 also talks about how we're slaves to sin. Ephesians 2:1-3 talks about how believers had once followed the ruler of the kindom of the air (Satan) at one time. So according to the Bible, people are made in the image of God, yes, but following him, no. But then Ephesians 1:13 talks about how people had God as the Holy spirit put in them when they believed the Gospel (that Jesus died for their sins and was raised again and that by putting their faith in them they could have eternal life). So God is only in people when they receive Christ. This is being 'born again'. It is at this point that God begins working in someone to renew them back to what he created them to be. Romans Ch1 adresses the issue of our fallen sinfulness, and all ungodly behavior (definately not excusive to homosexuality) is a product of this. Also read 1 Timothy 4:1-2 for an explaination as to why the big uproar these days about this issue.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Research Ass't, Social class : Upper middle class, 

tay
    Participant
    I truly do not think religious leaders pick and choose what they think we should believe. If you read the Bible you would know if they were misusing the 'word.' God created Adam and then Eve. Man and woman were put on this earth to reproduce. Two people of the same sex can not reproduce! As you know when you put a negative with a positive you will get results. But if you put a positve and a positive together you get absolutely nothing. Being bisexual and homosexual is against God. If you would read the book of Romans you will understand. Don't misinterpret me, in God's eyes a sin is a sin. There is not one that is greater than the other. Having sex before marriage is against God. But God is a forgiving, merciful and loving God. If we repent he will forgive us. So if you are ever at a church or anywhere else and hear someone preaching about something that you are not sure about, refer to your Bible. The Bible do not lie. If it's not in there then you need to run because that leader is not of God!

User Detail :  

Name : tay, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Nicky
    Participant
    I believe that in the days the bible was being written that the message was for breeders, so Gays were told to quit it and go find yourself a nice straight person. I know there had to be a lot of frustrated Gay people back then. So, anyway, nowadays the biblical message is used by bigots who don't practice what they preach. Didn't Jesus say to love everyone? (That is if he did exist) email me and I'll send you a tongue in cheek Q & A about the messages found in the bible.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

becki
    Participant
    Yes, I think some teachings are taken completely out of context, but that is a human mistake. We can't discount God's Word because a minister/pastor/priest/etc. made a mistake. Personally, I would rather make up my own mind about those issues. But if we take in basic Christian principles (like God doesn't make mistakes) we can find truth.

User Detail :  

Name : becki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Social class : Upper class, 

Amanda31477
    Participant
    If someone is to call themselves a Christian, then that person is saying they believe that what the Bible says is true. I believe that scripture is THE word of God. He inspired men to write it. In Romans, the Apostle Paul talks about how homosexuality is prevalent wherever a society has strayed tremendously from God's teachings. Homosexuality is not condoned in the Bible. God calls Christians to love them, but not to condone their behavior. You can still hate the sin and love the sinner.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31477, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Superior, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jared-Raines
    Participant
    Just letting you know this... Of course there were no homophobes in the Bible days. How could there be? If Peter and all the other disciples of Jesus Christ could sit there and cast out demons and not be afraid then why would they be afraid of someones sexual orientation?

User Detail :  

Name : Jared-Raines, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : Franklin, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Musician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Rico
    Anyone who's read the Bible can tell you that God doesn't make people homosexual. It clearly states that it is a sin just like every other sexual immorality. Contrary to popular science God doesn't make people homosexual.

User Detail :  

Name : Rico, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Religious Science, Age : 21, City : Buckhorn, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jim
    Participant
    I agree with the other posts here which make the point that some people take some scripture out of context but that this doesn't make scripture itself wrong. People are fallible. Scripture is not. Don't blame God and His Word for the foolish mistakes of human beings. That said, God didn't 'create' homosexuality. Regardless of whether homosexuality is innate (or 'genetic') or a personal choice is irrelevant. God created man and woman and intended for *that* to be the only way for us to couple, as clearly indicated in Genesis and many other books of the Bible. If it's a personal choice, then God didn't 'create' homosexuality. If it's innate, it is only a result of mistakes in the genetic code. Some people are born with a predisposition for murderous violence. Does this mean murder is okay with God because he supposedly 'created' it? Of course not.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mix of caucasian and Iroquois, Religion : Non-denom. Christian, Age : 30, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, street evangelist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.