Physical attraction: Double standards?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ken
    Why do some women get upset when men express physical attraction to a woman using "stereotypical" terms (slim figure, ample bosom, etc.), when a lot of women do the same thing with regard to men (ripped abs, biceps, strong jaw, etc.)? I have yet to see women lose themselves over an overweight man, but yet men are often chastised for being superfical when it comes to physical attraction. Am I wrong, or are both sexes swayed by the same thing, and women won't admit to it?

User Detail :  

Name : Ken, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : marketing, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacey
    Participant
    I'm full-figured and kind of feel that way myself. I'm usually not attracted to overweight men, but I think the difference between men and women is that women are not going to be with a man because he's good-looking; he also has to have a brain, be nice to her and work. On the other hand, I've noticed men date attractive women - no matter how smart she is or even if she's nice. As long as she looks goo, that's all that matters to some men. That's what bothers me as we as a people (myself included) don't see beyond a person's looks when it comes to to seeking a mate.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kat26803
    Participant
    There are many male actors and singers who aren't stereotypically "pretty" by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, while the same cannot be said for women. Last year it was big news when a "plus size" actress made it big on one of those cop shows.

Women hear so much pressure about looks, fat, size, butt-lifters, butt-squishers, boob-lifters, boob-squishers, etc., that men aren't yet subjected to in such detail. How many men wear speedos vs. the number of women who give in and wear the silly little "camouflaging skirts" and wraps? Camouflage what, exactly? We are held to a higher standard, though it is evening out somewhat.

I'm not tiny - I'm a size 12-14 with a 36D chest. I like my body. It's rubenesque, but I've got great legs and I'm proportional. But do I envy tiny little lithe women and know that I'd attract more men if I, too, were a size 6 or smaller? Yes, and I think I would.

I don't judge a man by his waistline, per se, but I do look to date someone who is at least average in his overall condition, if only so he can ride horses and keep up with me...

User Detail :  

Name : Kat26803, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CP19389
    Participant
    In all honesty, 'stereotypical' male good looks don't interest me at all. Posters of male models with no shirts and bulging muscles really turn me off. I want to relate to a person, not a body. I appreciate my husband's body simply because it is his, because that's the package he happens to come in, and not because he is close to some standard of male beauty. I know that modeling agencies are not going to come knocking at his door, but why would I care about that?

User Detail :  

Name : CP19389, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : university student, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.