Oppression and abuse in black community

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anon
    Participant
    I know black men are just as guilty of wife-battering and emotional abuse of women as white men, yet the black community rarely addresses this current form of slavery in their own community. Why is it considered so unimportant? People are dying now.

User Detail :  

Name : Anon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Yahel
    Participant
    I am a black woman myself and I personally believe that if the man that I love was kicking my butt everyday I would notify police, but in my experience with other black women they would, in the same predicament, tuff it out. Not because they don't think abuse isn't an important issue but because they don't recognize it as abuse. Instead of abuse they believe it is a 'hard time' and they, being the 'embodiment of a strong black woman', believe that if they don't show their pain and suffering it doesn't exist. What black women don't realize is that when they don't show their feelings or report their partner's crimes, it doesn't make them stronger, it makes them more insensitive which is, in essence, weaker. Strong women come in all shades, races, and colors, and what we all need to realize is that being strong and just ignoring your feelings are two immensely different things.

User Detail :  

Name : Yahel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Institute of Divine Metaphysical Research, Age : 16, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Briggs
    How do you know it is that prevalent? I don't believe it is. Have you not heard that the main reason black males give for dating white women is that they are not as bitchy as black women? Of course we know that strong behavior in women is typically labeled as bitchy. I think your assumption is only that - your assumption.

User Detail :  

Name : Briggs, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 34, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Technology analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.