Older people’s voices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Terry R.
    Participant
    Why do people's voices change as they age beyond 70?

User Detail :  

Name : Terry R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 55, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail
    It's simply physiological. Just like the rest of the body, the vocal cords get old. They lose their elasticity and contract and that formerly rich baritone becomes high and dry. Tony Bennett has managed to avoid that to a great degree

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    The answer is quite simple. When people get older their bodies get weaker. The muscles that are in control of voice production get weaker and the voice is somewhat straining. So it's a little unstable and beginning to crack down.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

missletile
    Participant
    People would be lucky to have the changes only happen at 70. Your voice changes your whole life. Singers exercise their vocal cords and may last longer. Alas, time and gravity, tend to change the length of the vocal cords and hence the singer would hve a lower voice.

User Detail :  

Name : missletile, City : grand rapids, State : MI Country : United States, 

Ruth Innes
    I'm 'older' and live in a retirement community so most of my friends and acquaintances are near or over 70. Our voices have not changed--not so that I can notice anyway. I've wondered why callers on the phone often tell me, after I've revealed my age, 'You sound so young.' Do you just expect old people to have old voices? They don't.

User Detail :  

Name : Ruth Innes, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 75, City : Jensen Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Betty-S
    Participant
    I think this is a generalization, and your conclusion that all 'older people' have vocal changes just isn't correct. Health does have a great deal to do with vocal changes, but I have met some young people whose voices are very weak especially when they're calling in to work to report they are 'sick' and won't be in today. New Age/Metaphysical male should get out in the world, listen to a civic choral group (lots of white haired people) with great voices. Sean Connery still has a gorgeous voice. Maybe it's in the ears of the hearer......

User Detail :  

Name : Betty-S, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 73, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.