Non-vegetarian vegetarians

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Participant
    You are not a vegan if you 'partake' of fish. Fish belong to the animal kingdom, and therefore constitute 'animal flesh' as you call it. Vegans eat nothing that comes from the animal kingdom - this includes exoskeletons, endoskeletons, cold-blooded, warm-blooded...etc. True vegans will not even eat honey as it comes from an animal, and will not wear silk because silk also comes from an animal.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Denisia25844
    Participant
    I have been a vegan for 11 years, half of my life. I eat no animals whatsoever, dairy, eggs or gelatin. That is what I consider a true vegetarian.

User Detail :  

Name : Denisia25844, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, 

Stephanie R
    Participant
    We can argue about the definition of 'vegetarian', but it seems like what you are really concerned about is the hypocrisy of a person who eats some products which will cause animals to suffer, while claiming moral superiority under the title of 'vegetarian' by abstaining from other products which also cause animals to suffer. I fall under this category as I eat eggs and dairy and trace-meat such as e-numbers, but no flesh. I eat these foods not because I consider them less immoral than flesh, but because I would prefer to dedicate the time it would take to maintain strict veganism through menu-planning, product-checking etc on what I consider to be morally more important activities, such as working hard at my ethical career, and one day, bringing up my children properly. As my un-veganism stems from a balancing of moral priorities, I do not see it as hypocritical to do what I can, but not everything possible, to reduce animal suffering.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie R, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Equality Officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carl19231
    Participant
    No one would call a shark vegetarian, sure. No one would call a deer or a rabbit vegetarian either: we call them 'herbivores'. As far as I know, humans are the only animals that make voluntary choices about things to exclude from their diet. A rabbit is no more a vegetarian than a mouse that lives in a church is a Christian. So, to answer your question: A person who claims to be a vegetarian but eats fish is not a carnivore because all humans, regardless of actual diet, are omnivores.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl19231, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 34, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pete-W30368
    Participant
    I'm 'mostly vegetarian': I eat a SMALL amount of fish or occasionally poultry when I feel that I need to. For me, it's a health/nutrition-based dietary choice, not a religion. I generally call myself a vegetarian because that's the category that I most closely identify with, and it's simpler than explaining in detail. As far as your specific questions go; if you eat fish or poultry, you're not vegetarian. Fish & birds are animals. Eggs & milk aren't animals, but animal products. They aren't alive themselves, so eating them doesn't make someone a carnivore. But what about consuming blood (eg Masai)? It that considered meat? Maybe we're quibbling over definitions here...

User Detail :  

Name : Pete-W30368, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

PW30326
    Participant
    Dwan, it's hard to tell from a text message but you seem to have some sort of 'issues' with vegetarians, specifically with people who call themselves so but still eat some meat or animal products. What's the big deal? If someone eats animal products only once a week, then I'd describe them as a vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian if I was being pedantic, 'cause that's the term that fits best. I don't understand why the label is so important- it's a dietary preference, not a religion. Of course, if that someone then abuses you for eating meat, or feels some sort of moral superiority for it: they're a hypocrite, flame away! My own dietary choices are generally on the basis of nutrition; I have no problem with the moral aspects of killing animals for meat.

User Detail :  

Name : PW30326, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

dersk25707
    Participant
    Dude, you're making *my* life more difficult now, so please put your philosophy aside for a sec and let's talk about definitions. The defnition of the word 'vegetarian' is pretty much accepted as no dead animals, while 'vegan' is no animal products - dairy, eggs, honey, gelatin, etc., etc., until you get to the eternal conumdrum that is yeast. I think some people who (for example) eat fish call themselves veggies either out of misunderstanding or for convenience. Or perhaps it's just because they realise how cool we vegetarians are and want to share in the aura. As long as I don't get another 'vegetarian' tomato soup with a meatball in it here in Amsterdam, I'll be happy.

User Detail :  

Name : dersk25707, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : amsterdam, State : NA Country : The Netherlands, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nick19588
    Participant
    I love meat. It tastes great, and satifies me. I'm going to go cook a steak right now as a matter of fact, pink meat and all.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick19588, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, 

Sheryl
    Participant
    When I learned about factory farming, I became a vegetarian (no animal flesh). Within a few months, I became vegan. Now I consume and wear no animal products (no wool, silk, leather, etc.). To the extent I can, I avoid purchasing anything that came from animal sources. This is purely an ethical stance. I do not want to contribute to animal suffering. I want congruence between my life and my message as an animal advocate. I feel healthy and energetic and I am constantly inspired to help others of all species.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheryl, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Rutland, State : VT Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Eduardo
    Participant
    This is a matter of people not knowing the proper definition of the word. A true vegetarian doesn't eat animal flesh, period. (Hence, so called 'pesca-vegetarians' et. al. aren't really vegetarians but they like the idea.) 'Vegan' isn't a clear concept to many, as well. Some people think it's a synonym/nickname for 'vegetarian'. A vegan is someone who doesn't consume animal flesh nor byproducts.

User Detail :  

Name : Eduardo, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 33, City : Mandaluyong, State : NA Country : Philippines, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

TimB
    Participant
    That's not a Vegan. There are vegetarians of different stripes - they all agree that the do not eat red meat or pork. There are strict Vegetarians - they eat no animal products at all. Then there are Vegans. Vegans are Animal Activists, and unless you are an Animal Activist, you are not a Vegan. You use no animal products whatsoever, including wearing leather - as told to me by one of my friends who is a Vegan.

User Detail :  

Name : TimB, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DanielPfalmer
    Participant
    You seems really angry, you should have steak and calm down. I'm just kidding. Seriously though: 1)If you are a Vegetarian for health reasons, you would not necessarily see a problem with eating fish or poultry because it is healthy. 2)If you are a vegetarian for moral reasons than do you only refrain from eating smart animals? Would it be ethical to eat carnivores? Why is it ethical to eat plants? 3)Why does it matter so much what people call themselves?

User Detail :  

Name : DanielPfalmer, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Fairbanks, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.