New stereotypes about African Americans

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Yair-K
    Participant
    How do people feel about the recent infusion of new stereotypes about African Americans in movies and television, in which they are portrayed as wise authority figures who guide and mentor younger white males? For example, Morgan Freeman in 'Seven' and Denzel Washington in 'Training Day'? Is the infusion of hip-hop America in suburbia a reason? Are African Americans now looked at to fill a role as suave, debonair and graceful, and if they do not fulfill their role, are they viewed as social malcontents;? Are all African-American males supposed to dress well, speak elegantly and walk with subdued confidence in order to be recognized by white America?

User Detail :  

Name : Yair-K, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, 

Harvey
    How do people feel? Normal, I hope. The images you see of positive African-American males is simply the movies catching up with life. Those role models are not new in life, only in media. As an African-American man, I worry more about the negative images you see. It is those negative images that many people think are normal. Maybe one day it will be the reverse.

User Detail :  

Name : Harvey, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 48, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherman
    Participant
    I don't see how two movies that have African Americans as superior officers constitutes a stereotype, and Denzel Washington was certainly not the typical wise authority figure in that movie; he had his own agenda. In the last few years, African Americans have had many more roles than usual and have finally been able to play more versatile roles than just comedians and sidekicks. As far as how we are supposed to look and act, I think all Americans are supposed to try to dress well and speak eloquently and have confidence, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Why should that be considered a black or white thing?

User Detail :  

Name : Sherman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Contractor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve27635
    Participant
    'Training Day'? An epiphany in race relations? Denzel Washington plays a crooked, preening degenerate who drugs, frames for murder and attempts to kill his protege, all in one day. In the end, he is betrayed by his own people. Hey, I was far more impressed with the African-American guy who taught me a way to store my old e-mails outside of Microsoft Outlook. The Hispanic guy who coached my son's Little League basketball team was far more influential, and he didn't try to kill anyone nor use the F word once per sentence. Believe me, only Hollywood thinks that Hollywood is ahead of the curve on anything.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27635, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Corporate Cubicle Person no Longer on Sabbatical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Rick29878
    Participant
    That's nothing new. It's the old 'noble savage' idea that somehow blacks or especially Native Americans are 'tuned in' to some ancient knowledge and wisdom that the rest of us have lost touch with. Another good example is the elderly black woman in Stephen King's The Stand. I have heard black people complain about this.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29878, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28235
    Participant
    I believe there's a definite push to get away from the 'Buckwheat' stereotype of old and the 'gangster' stereotype of more recent. From Amos and Andy to the Lone Ranger, history had a way of putting non-whites into lesser roles. Putting forth such positive stereotypes may be on one hand overkill, but on the other it's only making up for decades of lost time. However, progress will be completed when African Americans can play the silly flunky and the wise elder in equal numbers without attracting outrage.

Yeah, there is a tendency for whites to look upon other ethnic cultures as somehow more soulful and real than their own. It's a natural rebellion, but an expected one, as it's been the common one for several generations now. Comfort and privilege will often form doubts about one's place in the world, and create longings for lives without the perceived 'evilness' of such a charmed life. From New Age blond 'shamanists' to suburbia hip-hoppers, this is not an uncommon trait and will always have its place in middle-class culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28235, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Tree Trimmer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Serene28050
    Participant
    I must admit a bit of confusion over your questions. By using the term 'stereotype,' are you implying that there are no blacks who perform as mentors over 'non-blacks'? That this situation does not take place in the 'real world'? (Look to the military, for one example). Are you implying that blacks as opposed to other races are not capable of being suave, debonair and graceful? That aside, is your view of blacks merely a repetition of stereotypes? Dou do realize that being suave, debonair, graceful and having the ability to mentor are not 'race' engendered? That blacks as well as people of all races are capable of such? Perhaps Hollywood's portrayal of these stereotypes, as you call them, are more reflective of the 'real' world. Perhaps seeing them on the screen opens one's mind to the reality that black people do exist and perform, just like anybody else. Real black men do nurture, mentor and support people of all races. Historically, blacks were responsible for 'mentoring' the youngster, who then went on to assume the role as his/her boss - a la 'breaking the color barrier' in the business world. And it is true that many blacks were taught you have to be twice as smart, twice as good to get the job.

User Detail :  

Name : Serene28050, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 43, City : Chandler, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Self Employed, Business Owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tracey
    Your post is thoughtless and ingnorant. You say that in these movies Blacks are 'portrayed' as wise authority figures as though Black people are not capable of being in a postition of power. What? Are we all supposed to be organ-grinder monkeys tethered to a musical box? There ARE Blacks in positions of power; are YOU? Would you feel intimidated if a Black man was your boss, or in a position of power over you; if a black man was the Presedent of the United States.......or do you even think a Black man/woman is CAPABLE. It seems to me that you couldnt handle that; and if you can't, you have fallen into the trap of believing the stereotypical notion that blacks are inferior, and that is FAR from the truth. Just because I see some 'white trash' tooth-less drunk on the corner does not mean that all white people are mindless morons. Don't do the same to us. What about the many roles of whites mentoring Blacks? ...the movie with Michelle Phifer, and the one with Sean Connery (Finding Forester?)......are you saying that only whites can mentor blacks and not vise-versa?? And about this 'hip-hop' culture......What in the world does Morgan Freeman and Densel Washington have to to with 'hip-hop'?? Just because people are black, you dont put them in a box. You also speak like you assume that the majority of Black men do not speak and 'act' properly. I am an ordinary, everyday Black person. Black reality is not the sterotype that you seem to foolishly believe. Just because you see some rap video, dont think you 'know' black people. I am an everyday black person, who is surrounded by black people daily, most are actually in positions of power and are role models. I hope you are aware of how ignorant and how utterly thoughtless your comment was.

User Detail :  

Name : Tracey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Medical Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    The recent change in the status of blacks in television fare is simply part of the agenda of the Hollywood leftists in promoting their own liberal perspectives. Witness the recent spate of programs featuring gay, lesbian and transgendered characters as leading roles. The power of the left in media and communications is overwhelming to the American public who has little if any say in what is being foisted on them by the Hollywood crowd and it will continue to be jammed down their throats. Blacks are as capable and believable as anyone in their portrayal of authority figures and the like but the Hollywood crowd is the real danger here.

User Detail :  

Name : Gerry Zanzalari, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Communications, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Carl
    Participant
    The media counterstereotype of the wise black arbiter of justice/role model/leader has been around for awhile and is becoming pretty ubiquitous. It has been manufactured by the entertainment industry in order to offset the current stereotypes of minorities which have arisen over time empirically. Also, it seeks to assuage white guilt and pander to blacks. I find it grating personally because of the self-conscious and self-congratulatory way in which it is carried out. Regardless of which minority it seeks to elevate, it always falls flat. For instance: How many People's Court-type shows are on TV that have a black judge? There's at least five of them! In commercials as well, I notice a lot of black and female bosses with white male underlings. Nothing wrong with that, of course, except for the glaring divagation with reality. I remember Morgan Freeman played the President of the United States in a movie awhile back. That was pretty laughable too. Anyway, for all that Hollywood seeks to improve minorities' image with whites vis-a-vis mass media, they can't fight reality.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Trader, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    So, Yair K, you think the African American who is wise and authoritative is a sterotype, now do you? The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of American Express, The Chief Executive Officer of Beatrice Foods; The Editor In Chief of Essence Magazine; The Editor In Chief of Black Enterprise Magazine; Marva Collins, Headmaster of a school for Gifted African American children; Dr. Ben Carson, world renowned pediatric neurosurgeon, and a host of lesser known but no less important African American men and women would beg to differ with you.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kenny
    I understand what you are saying, but I do not see this as a steroetype or as something that is negative. I don't know if you see it that way either. I will say this, as a black man I choose to carry myself in that manner just as you said. I am well dressed, confident, I speak elegantly when I need to and have always be a leader. I feel that there is no other way for me to be. Thats just my personality. I don't see that as fitting into a steroetype.

User Detail :  

Name : Kenny, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Credit Processing, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.