Multi-racial ID

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Roger-T
    Participant
    To people of mixed-race or multiple heritage: How do you feel about being classified as one race or another? Do you identify with one race more than the other? Does that depend on which parent's race you more closely resemble? Are you ever angry with your parents for not 'sticking to their own'?
    Original Code R621. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Roger-T, Gender : M, Age : 41, City : Victoria, B. C., State : NA Country : Canada, 

Michele M.
    Participant
    Another follow-up question to the above: Is racial identity necessary? I know that I am Caucasian/White, for example, based on criteria established, but I certainly don't 'identify' in any way by that. I identify with certain cultural characteristics of the Irish or the Swiss, perhaps, but they are one of but many groups that are considered 'white.' I gain more identity from my religion, from the part of the country that I am from, from my hobbies/activities and from my career choice. I understand that some would argue that this is 'white privilege,' but isn't identification based on individual characteristics preferable? Or are there those who cling to racial identities for a reason?

User Detail :  

Name : Michele M., Gender : F, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : EEO Programs Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Rainbow
    I'm multiracial or ethnic, whichever way you want to say it. My father is black, white and Chinese, my mother is Asian, Hispanic and Hawaiian. I have no problem with being classified as 'other' or multiracial, though I'm uncomfortable with some comments and nasty remarks people make about me, such as 'mutt.' It hurts. But the last thing in this world I would do is blame my parents. Love is blind, and I don't care what people think, my parents and I think I'm beautiful, as are all racially mixed people. Race has nothing to do with love. I have many friends of all races; I don't stick to one race.

User Detail :  

Name : Rainbow, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Chris32161
    Participant
    You know, when people ask you what you are, be proud of it, 'cuz I have some Hawaiian ties, although I am Spanish/Chinese/Filipino/French/English(white). I use the 'mutt' as a personal joke, but on occasions it does hurt because people are one thing while you're a handful of different things. But you should be able to look past that, and you will see how people will be wowed to find out that you're so many things, and they'll want to ask you more questions about your racial make up. Do not be afriad to represent, tell people who do not know, and show 'em that you're proud of your background!

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32161, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherman
    Participant
    Well I can't speak for aborigines, but in america during slavery the ten percent rule was established because of the race mixing that went on between the slave owners and the slaves.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Contractor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Chel
    My father is filipino and my mother is half black and half cherokee. I have always felt more black than anything else. I feel this way because of the rejection that I recieved from my fathers side of the family, and the love that I recieved from my mothers side.I believe if a biracial child is embraced by both parents families they won't identify themselves with just one of there ethnicities, but they return that love and acceptance.Also they will be more educated in both customs and heritages. Despite the way my fathers family has treated me. I am very insulted when people consider me black and black only.I am proud of everything that makes me an individual. My black genes have not blotted out my filipino genes. They are all there inside of me.

User Detail :  

Name : Chel, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : L.A, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

drew25681
    Participant
    I am half Mexican and half Chinese. When I am asked what nationality I am,I find myself responding differently according to the situation. For example, If I am asked by Hispanic people I tell them I am just mexican. If Asian people ask me what my nationality is I tell them I am Chinese. They usually do not beleive me. I do not do this to be deceitful, but merely to make things more simple. I hate being asked...Well what do you consider yourself. Also, I get better treatment (politeness, servive,respect) if I claim or show sidedness to the culture of whom I am in contact with. This is sad but true. However, the truth is that I consider myself 100% Chinese because my mother drilled that into me. So, It depends on your upbringing and your perception of who you are...where one is raised, environment, nurture. One issue that I think is interesting about being biracial is discrimination that one receives from both sides of one's genetic makeup.

User Detail :  

Name : drew25681, Gender : M, Race : American Indian, Age : 28, City : la, State : CA Country : United States, 

Sherolyn
    Participant
    I do not know the answer to your question, but it is one that I have found myself asking frequently. I do know that the 10% black thing originated during times of slavery and/or racism (as if it doesn't still exist) in order to classify blacks for purposes of discrimination and segregation. The real truth is that, short of blood testing, there really is no way to tell who is what, except through appearance and what our families tell us. This is why so many people with African ancestry identify themselves as black or African-american, because African features tend to dominate appearance. It would be strange for me, as a brown skinned person, to classify myself as white. The truth is that if everyone were to have blood tests, a lot more people would be realizing for the first time that they are part Native American or 'black' (we won't get into the difference between labels such as black, African-american, etc.).

User Detail :  

Name : Sherolyn, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, 

HSF
    Frankly I'm sick of it. I'm mixed East Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Creek Indian, African and Portuguese, look Thai, and have been mistaken as Hispanic by Latino men, Bangladeshi by Indian men, and everything under the sun by everyone else - except blacks and whites. Because I have a faintly Asian look, both black men and white men seem fascinated by me. Black guys want the lighter skin and long black hair, white guys want the slightly Asian eyes and build. Meanwhile I have envious Caucasian women calling me black, and black women yanking my hair, calling me bitch and talking rudely to me. I get mistaken for black by black men and white women constantly. No one else. One black guy was even offended and told my boss when he asked me if I knew where 'the hood' was, and I told him I had no idea. Now I have a reputation round the office as a black man hating snob. I was raised in the suburbs as an East Indian and don't know what the hood is, where it is, etc! I don't listen to rap music! I don't go to a Baptist church! When will everyone leave me alone and just me be multiracial me? I long for the day Tiger Woods teaches America that multiracial doesn't always have to mean black and white put together.

User Detail :  

Name : HSF, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 31, City : An American City, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : prefer not to say, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

P.W
    Participant
    I love being of mixed-race. In Hawaii, it doesn't matter as much as it does in parts of the mainland U.S. I am part Mexican, Puerto Rican, German, and Portuguese. I do feel more closer to the Latino side since my parents emphasized it more. Plus, in Hawaii, NEARLY EVERYONE who is part-white, part non-white emphasizes their non-white side. Example, a part white/Hawaiian person will emphasize their Native Hawaiian side, even if his skin is light. It even gets to the point where one girl who looks 100% white claims to be Filipino. I can't find any signs of Filipino in her. White people get picked on in Hawaii, so that's probably why those are have white/non-white in them emphasize the non-white side.

User Detail :  

Name : P.W, Gender : M, Race : Mexican, Puerto Rican, German, Portuguese, Age : 24, City : Honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.