Mormon customs … and food supply

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anne
    Participant
    I am a practicing Catholic and am curious about other religions. Why are Mormons not allowed to consume caffeine, alcohol or tobacco? Also, is it true they have a particular cleaning/food-keeping ritual, and that all Mormons are required to have a year's supply of food on hand? Is there a book where I can learn more?

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TR24804
    Participant
    We aren't allowed to consume alcohol or tobacco because God told us not to. Also, if you think about it, it's good advice, anyway. As for the caffeine, as I understand it, that is a personal choice, although many people choose not to drink it. There is no particular food-cleaning ritual. The year's supply of food storage is a strong recommendation in case it becomes necessary for whatever reason, but to my knowledge it is not required.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24804, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

The Weenis
    Participant
    Not to be insensitive or anything, but I've studied a lot of religions and to my outsider's eye, Mormonism seems very bizarre. They believe that this guy, Joseph Smith I believe his name was, received the word of God from an angel named Moroni while he was hanging out atop this mountain called Hill Commoragh, which is located outside of Rochester, NY. The angel gave him these heavy gold tablets which were like the ones Moses received with the Ten Commandments. How he ever dragged these things off the mountain, I dunno, but apparently he did and formed the Church of the Latter Day Saints, or the Mormons. Mr. Smith and his acolytes got hassled for their beliefs by the upstate New Yorkers, so they took off, en masse, for Salt Lake City to get a litle peace and freedom. Mormons believe that no woman can get into heaven of her own accord; a female can only get into heaven if her husband is good. They also practiced polygamy but outlawed it among themselves in order to be accepted into the United States. Mormons take marriage very seriously because for them wedding vows are not broken, ever; even after death two married souls stay married. A Mormon's standing within the Church is considered very important, and more often than not their ranking withing the church is directly corrolated with how much money they give their church. I heard they have to wear funny underwear, too, but my Mormon friends are very mysterious and dismissive of this. The stockpliling of food is done so that when God comes back and wipes out the evildoers, (read, non-Mormons) they will have food after the apocalypse. Highly religious Mormons believe that they are chosen by God and that at the same time God allows them free will. This is the neat thing about Mormonism. God says: You've been trained to know what is right and what is wrong, so go do whatever the heck you like, remembering though that your choices will reflect on your admission to Heaven or whatever. Hope this was helpful. Sorry if I offended anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : The Weenis, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jesse-N30809
    Participant
    I'm not a Mormon, so you can't offend me ... but I don't appreciate your tone. You seem to ridicule the origins of the faith, and some of its current tenets ... but to someone of another faith, any faith (including your lack thereof) appears bizarre. I don't see any reason to be so negative toward that which someone else honors.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30809, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Is there any particular reason the person who asked the question about Mormons is getting these smart-ass replies? All she wanted was some information and not, I'm presuming, these riffs that basically invite her to mind her own business.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John P.
    Participant
    Honey, the first thing you need to do is thank the Virgin Mary that you're a fish-eatin', waifer-suckin' papist. Thank God (literally) that he never had anything to say to us about alcohol, tobacco and caffeine (as if!?).

As far as the year's food supply, think about how many beers and raffle tickets that could buy at St. Paul's festival! And, if you act up at Bingo, a glorious confession and small penance will clean the slate. I wouldn't advise licking a raw chicken ... other than that, food-cleaning is overrated, anyway. (I bet Joseph Smith, on his trek across the New World, ate some very grubby, gamey food.)

Curiosity killed the cat, you know. Stay out of Utah, and in the Cathedral. Hail Mary full of grace...

All in fun from a non-practicing family. (Where's the Latin, anyway?)

User Detail :  

Name : John P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Religious Counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lorin May
    Participant
    I'm not offended by your response to the food storage question. However, I do wish to point out that you got a lot (if not most) of your 'facts' wrong in your assessment of the 'weird' LDS faith. What you said we believe strikes me weird, just as it does you. I've never been taught and never believed much of what you presented. I'll spare you the details of why they're wrong. There are plenty of Web sites and hundreds of books aiming to untangle the misrepresentations of and 'proofs' against LDS doctrine, if such a topic interests you. The official LDS website is an excellent starting point. The point I wish to make is this: Don't expect to get accurate information or a judicious spin on another faith from people who dislike it -- I've found this to be true with any faith, not just mine. Most of the criticisms of the LDS faith I have reviewed -- and they are not a few -- have been riddled with errors, sensationalism, half-truths, poor logic, and a laughably jaundiced spin on the facts. You can't comprehend the spirit of Catholicism by asking a Jehovah's Witness. You won't learn to appreciate Islam by listening to a Palestinian Jew. And I can guarantee, you get an unclearly slanted if not false view of LDS doctrine from our critics. Incidentally (as the topic was food storage), the admonition to store a year's supply of food was first issued during the Great Depression. Food storage is a key element of the church's long-established tradition of personal self-reliance, along with getting an education that will lead to regular employment, getting out of debt, spending less than you earn, give your surplus freely to the poor). I constantly use and replenish my year's supply, and should I or a neighbor lose a job, the food is there. It could also come in handy for a local disaster. That's what it's for. Lorin

User Detail :  

Name : Lorin May, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 31, City : Roy, State : UT Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

liz
    Participant
    while it is true that a mormon woman needs a good husband to get to the highest degree of heaven, it is also required that a mormon man needs a good wife to get there as well.

User Detail :  

Name : liz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 19, City : highland, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cheryl
    Self-sufficiency is highly valued in the LDS church and in Mormon culture. As part of that, Mormons are encouraged to build up an emergency supply of food, clothing, etc. (Ideally, that should be enough to provide for the family for a year, but it's acknowleged that might not be feasible.) It's not kept in a 'apocalyptic' sort of attitude, but it is meant for times of need such as natural disasters or even economic hardships. Personally, I have a shed full of food, water and 'camping' supplies. I'd be very content if I never have to use it, but I figure that if/when the next earthquake hits, I could provide for my neighbors and myself for a week or two if needed. It's not anything mystical. To me, it's a very practical and prudent way of living.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 33, City : Watsonville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.