Mixed-religion families

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

E-Henry25418
    Participant
    I come from a family in which one side is Jewish and the other Christian/Catholic. I often have wondered how others from families of mixed religions choose which one to follow. Or, do you follow both?

User Detail :  

Name : E-Henry25418, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, City : Steamboat Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Al
    Participant
    Probably the toughest situation to deal with, is a family with two strong religious heritages. Roman Catholicism and Judaism are, by definition, mutually exclusive. Neither camp will truly accept you if you try to keep both faiths, and such would be a recipe for social (and perhaps mental) disaster. I converted from Judaism to Christianity/Protestantism over 20 years ago, and I have seen any number of attempts at mixed-faith marriages fail dismally. Christianity requires both partners to be of the same faith - if one is to follow Scripture. Judaism concerns itself with how the offspring will be raised - a valid point. My personal advice to any couple in this situation - pick one faith, stick to it with all your hearts, and resist flopping back and forth. (a careful reading of New Testament Scripture will point you inevitably toward the modern continuation of Judaism ---Christianity.....writer's opinion)

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    If the mother's Jewish, the children are. If the mother's not Jewish, the children are not (but could convert, I suppose). I don't know how other religions make this determination.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CP19384
    Participant
    In my opinion, I don't believe it is possible to follow two religions. Families who do this are just observing traditions of both religious, but they cannot actually follow both. Jews are waiting for the Messiah; Christians believe Jesus was the Messiah and the son of God... you can't have it both ways: you must believe one thing or the other. I don't understand parents who try to raise their children in two religions. Nine times out of ten the kids will end up not believing truly in either.

User Detail :  

Name : CP19384, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Joanna P.
    Participant
    I come from a mixed-religion family. My mother is Catholic and my father is Protestant. I think the choice was made for me when I was a baby; I was baptized Catholic.

User Detail :  

Name : Joanna P., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Leavenworth, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Hayat R.
    My father is Muslim and my mom is Mormon. When they got married my father told my mom his religion stipulated that the kids be Muslim. She said fine, with the intention of having no kids. In time, however, myself and my three siblings were born. We were raised knowing equal amounts of Christianity/Mormonism and Islam. By the time I was a teenager I was equally inclined to both faiths, having attended more Sunday School than Islamic studies classes, but having been taught more Islam officially. This, as you can imagine, lead to a hell of a lot of confusion for me. I prayed for guidance to God (not Jesus, not Allah at that time, just God) and soon enough I found myself seeing the glaring inconsistencies in one of the faiths and the logic behind the other. My siblings took similar paths, though one brother did fall completely away from religion. Because in Islam there is no compulsion, my father could only teach us what he knew, what he believed and leave it at that. We chose, on our own, all four siblings, as adults to follow Islam. By the way, I would NOT recommend a mixed religion marriage to anyone. Its only by the grace of God and the kindness of my parents that us kids came out all right. I know many other mixed religion families whose children have been institutionalised, chosen lifes of crime, become wholly immoral and grown up to be quite confused.

User Detail :  

Name : Hayat R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caucasian/Asian mix, Religion : Muslim, Age : 20, City : Islamabad, State : NA Country : Pakistan, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jack
    My mother is Catholic, my father Lutheran. They choose to raise me Catholic because my mother is far more devout than my father is. My father's religion, I think, is more a mask that he hasn't taken off. So it was logical to raise us in Catholicism.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.