Military titles and ‘Sir/Ma’am’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Augustine23395
    Participant
    I am confused about the distinction between commissioned and non-commissioned officers in the military. Does one, or both, of these object to being called 'Sir' (or 'Ma'am'), and if so, which one, the commissioned or the non-commissioned? And why? And when is it appropriate, if ever, for a civilian to refer to an officer by his or her title? Does a clerk in a store commit a faux pas if he or she refers to 'Colonel Smith' as 'Mr. Smith'? I have retired military friends and always just refer to them by their first names; it's never seemed to present a problem.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23395, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    As a former soldier, let me throw in my two bits: Commissioned officers (second lieutenant/ensign and above, all the way to four-star general/admiral) are like managers. Non-commissioned officers(sergeants) are like foremen. Officers get their commissions from attending a military academy, going through ROTC in college, Officers Candidate School (many former enlisted do this) or battlefield commission. Only officers are called 'Sir' or 'Ma'am,' depending. If you call a sergeant 'sir,' you will usually get a funny look, followed by 'Sir? I work for a living!' The implication, of course, is that officers don't get down and dirty with the troops, while sergeants do. I would venture to guess that referring to a member of the military by the rank is correct, if you know the rank. I was always brought up to refer to folks older than me as 'sir' or 'ma'am,' and it was no big deal to do it, especially if I was in uniform and talking to someone in civilian clothes. A general rule of thumb: if you're not sure you're talking to an officer (in civvies or on the other end of a phone), assume you are talking to someone senior until told otherwise. 'When in doubt, whip it out!' If you salute a sergeant, you'll get a butt chewing. If you fail to salute an officer, you'll get a bigger butt chewing, if not worse. In addition, officers are saluted by folks junior to them in rank. The only times one doesn't salute are when in civilian clothes, if you're in confinement (you've dishonored your profession and are not entitled to give the salute) or are under battlefield conditions (you don't want an enemy sniper to know who the officers are). That said, non-commissioned officers generally have more experience. Officers command the Army, non-commissioned officers run the Army.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 20, City : Tampa Bay, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Customer service, former soldier, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Chris W.
    It depends on the service. In the Air Force, the instructors in basic training teach trainees to address all officers, commissioned and non, as Sir (or Ma'am). It is always quite respectful and appropriate in all services to use their rank. But, by using rank you should be aware of a few rules. Call a Lieutenant Colonel 'Colonel' and not 'Lieutenant Colonel.' Likewise, all lieutenants, 1st, 2nd, junior grade (Navy), are addressed as 'Lieutenant.' All sergeants can be addressed as 'Sergeant,' except for E-9s ('Chief' for Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force), 'Sergeant Major' (Army/Marines) and 'Master Chief' (Navy). To really answer your question, a clerk in a store doesn't commit a faux pas by referring to 'Col. Smith' as 'Mr. Smith,' but a Colonel in uniform will surely appreciate a civilian who can recognize rank and address him properly. As far as retirees, that's just it: they're retired.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Augusta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Gonzo
    Participant
    In the military, commissioned officers (2 Lt. through General, Ensign thru Admiral for Navy) are called sir or ma'am by those of a lower rank. Non-commissioned officers (NCOs or Petty Officers for Navy) are referred to by rank or (at least in the USAF) sir or ma'am by junior enlisted personnel. Some NCOs may object to being called sir or ma'am and state that it is because 'they earned their rank!' This is old school Officer/Enlisted rivalry. It is never wrong to refer to a military member by their correct rank, if you know it. If not, Mr. Smith or Mrs./Ms/Miss Smith is fine.

User Detail :  

Name : Gonzo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Anglo-Hispanic, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 33, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Trudy
    Participant
    Commissioned officers (Lieutenant or higher in the Army, Air Force and Marines, Ensign or higher in the Navy) are referred to as sir or ma'am. Except for generals and admirals. They are referred to as general or admiral. Non-commissioned officers are generally not referred to as sir or ma'am within the military. Since you are a civillian, you do not have to adhere rigidly to these rules. My basic advice would be to call people what they wish to be called.

User Detail :  

Name : Trudy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student and ROTC cadet, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Tommy
    Participant
    In the Navy I know for sure, the commissioned officers are all addressed by sir or ma'am. The NCO's are all addressed by rank, Chief, Senior Chief, Master Chief. E-4 throuh E-6 are addressed by last name, petty officer so and so or rate. (ET2, EM1). J.O.'s (junior officers) O-1 through O-3 are also addressed Mr. or Ms. So and So. It is acceptable by everyone in the Navy to use the Mr. or Ms. title to address a JO.

User Detail :  

Name : Tommy, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Rossford, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.