Military equal rights?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

B. Brown
    Participant
    Women have fought for equal treatment in the military, and have accomplished this in many ways. If equal treatment is so important to them, why aren't they required to register with Selective Service when they turn 18, like men?

User Detail :  

Name : B. Brown, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 35, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : U.S. Air Force, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Excellent point. People will tell you that 'someone has to stay home to run the country' as a reason for women not being drafted - which is garbage, because, yes, someone does have to stay here, but it doesn't have to be all of one gender. Draft a certain percentage of the population, regardless of gender (if we ever have a draft again) and the other percentage will stay home. It's absolutely ridiculous and I agree with you completely.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    In case you didn't notice, women don't run the military, and they only have this limited role in the military because it was granted to them by men. Women don't make the policy. Many feminists and progressives today believe that all able-bodied men and women should serve in some kind of public service position, like they do in Israel. I ask you one question: do you think the men that run the armed services like to imagine their baby girls having to register with selective service? Nuh-uh. These men--fathers of daughters that they feel honor-bound to protect and defend-- are the main people who will block any measure to get women to register with Selective Service.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Norman, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    That is an excellent question. Recently I saw a public service announcement on television that said males of (certain) age must register with the Selective Service. And I thought how unfair that is. Why is it women are not required to register for the draft. That is a good one. And it is unfair.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Depression, not disabled., Race : American Indian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 48, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Mental Health, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Damon Beck
    My question isn't why they aren't required to sign up with selective service, but why aren't these 'feminist' fighting for it. They fight as they should for other equalities, but seems to conviently fall short in areas like this.

User Detail :  

Name : Damon Beck, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Inglewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : counselor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Amy31613
    Participant
    Believe me, I wish they would!! I think that it's an inequality issue- for men- that they are the only ones who have to sign up for Selective Service. There's no such thing as equal rights anywhere. Believe me, I should know. But this particular prejudice is prejudicial for both men and women. If they do instate the draft this time around, I think they should make it guy-girl-guy-girl. It's sexist to men saying they deserve to die, and sexist to women because it implies we can't do anything. -Amy

User Detail :  

Name : Amy31613, City : Duluth, State : MN Country : United States, 

Beth-S
    Participant
    To answer your question to the best of my knowledge, granted I'm 18 years your junior, the reason women aren't required to register with Selective Service is because they aren't allowed to fight in combat infantry units, even though a 1996 law does allow us to participate in types of aerial combat. Special Forces are completely off limits. If I had my way women would have to register with Selective Service because I believe it's a person's duty, man or woman, to defend the basic liberties of America.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth-S, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

John29192
    Participant
    pray/hope they are never required to. If we have a draft again it will include women. The draft bill that was shot down in the House right before the elections included women. However without a draft SS will never get that update because it would spike draft fears.

User Detail :  

Name : John29192, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Huntington, State : WV Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
    Personally, I believe that it is the society's standards, as well as tests shown. The military will not allow women in combat (which I am sure that you know) and the selective service was primarily designed for a massive need of military fighting power... which still means men. I think that women should be able to go into combat, so long as they can pass the same tests that males can. What do you think?

User Detail :  

Name : Ian Laughlin, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Palmer, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

S.S
    Yes women have come a long way in the military, but it's still not OK in our male dominated society to sacrifice our women. I think that a lot of this has to do with the fact that we as women bear the children, and it is macho for the men to defend the women and keep them from danger. Having been in the US Army, I saw many men who had trouble with women in my units and I was in signal (telecom) not a combat unit.

User Detail :  

Name : S.S, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Other Pacific Islander, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : KC, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Telecom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristy
    I believe that the military should be completely equal. That means women being required to sign up for a potential draft and being in combat positions. I was in the military for four years after graduating high school, and I wanted to carry all the burdens my male coworkers did. I wasn't looking for special treatment. I think the reason women aren't fully integrated into the military is because the male-dominated power structure won't let them be, not because women don't want to defend their country. With that said, women who join the military must also take responsibility for being in good physical shape. I was in the Navy, and most of the women I met were horribly weak and out of shape. A good majority were even fat! With equal rights comes equal responsibility. Women who want to be in the military need to grow up, shape up and be strong, just like the men.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.