Middle Eastern people at 7-Elevens

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Bruce26508
    Participant
    I suspect that there are a lot of mid-eastern convenience store workers(/owners?) for the same reason that there are a lot of greek run/owned diners in New Jersey and a lot of Korean bodegas in NYC.. I'm not exactly sure what that reason is, but I think it may have something to do with ethnic solidarity, so to speak, and the opportunities provided to recent immigrants o find work among their fellow expatriots? That's the rough idea I got from reading about Japanese-American history, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : Bruce26508, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Ali
    Participant
    I don't believe many Indians earn lower-wages working at 7-11's since most of them own the store. South Asians in large cities such as Houston own a good majority of the convenience stores. Chances are if you see an Indian working at a retail store, he either owns it or is related to the owner. Even educated South Asians find that this business can sometimes bring a higher income then a 9 to 5 job.

User Detail :  

Name : Ali, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 18, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

Cindy19572
    Participant
    What you see as people working at the 7-Eleven, etc. could actually be the owners or families of the owners. In the metro Detroit area there are a lot of Arab owned party stores. So, you often see Arabs working there. I believe that it is quite common for immigrants, pariculary Arabs to get gov. assistance to start a business. Convenience and party stores seem to be the type of business that can do well just about anywhere. So, that's what they seem to do. Don't assume that the Middle Eastern people you see working there are the 'lowly' employees. Many times they employ all of their family members at their own businesses.

User Detail :  

Name : Cindy19572, Gender : Female, Age : 30, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.