Men tossing their money at me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Alice B.
    Participant
    I work in a library and have noticed that men, when handing over their card or money, toss it on the counter instead of putting it in my hand or even laying it on the counter. I rarely see women doing this. I find it rude. Can anyone shed some light on this?

User Detail :  

Name : Alice B., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Athens, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    As a former cashier, I found this a very rude practice done by both sexes. Whenever this happened to me, I would slide the change back on the counter as well, but strangely, the customer would always appear offended! And as far as simply not wanting to touch the hands of strangers, how many stranger's hands has your change been through, let alone mine? Perhaps I can save you some repulsion and just keep the change.

User Detail :  

Name : L-deSouza-Henry26155, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : CSR, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

T.C.
    Participant
    What an interesting observation. Now that I think of it, I rarely put things directly in strangers' hands. If I'm at the airport, I usually put my ticket and drivers' license on the counter and slide it over to the agent. If I'm paying for something with a card, I usually slide the card across the counter and over to the clerk; if actual money is involved however, I usually hand the currency (especially the coins) directly to the clerk (I think I actually POUR the coins). I think maybe it's an unconscious avoidance of directly touching the hands of someone I don't know.

User Detail :  

Name : T.C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rich30048
    Participant
    I've noticed it, too. But in my case, it's my wife who tosses the money on the counter. I always hand it to the clerk.

User Detail :  

Name : Rich30048, Gender : M, Age : 35, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Alex29021
    Participant
    Men have been programmed in this country not to be offensive and especially not to touch a woman without her consent. When even the most unintended professional contact can lead to a sexual harrasment suit, why are you surprised that men try to avoid touching you? For what it's worth, try remembering they do so out of courtesy.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex29021, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 19, City : Beloit, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Antonio-Montana
    Participant
    I agree with Alex, I have worked with many men who are terrified of being charged with sexual harassment, by either some form of misunderstood contact, or from something they say, jokingly or otherwise. So they usually dont speak or have anything to do with female workers. Thats over doing it in my opinion, but according to them theyve been in trouble before. Whether it was their own fault, or an uptight/hyper-sensitive reaction (as they claim) on the woman's part i dont know.

User Detail :  

Name : Antonio-Montana, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ben
    Participant
    Ive worked in retail and food service for a while, and i can state that its not just men who do this, but women as well - mostly middle age in both cases. When i pay for something, i ALWAYS hand my cash or card to the cashier. It would be rude to do otherwise.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

dean
    Participant
    If you were a good sort they wouldnt throw the card at you BUSH PIG

User Detail :  

Name : dean, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : diaper fetish, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 41, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : chicken sexer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brian23050
    Participant
    i was invoved in an altercation such as the following and sexual harrassment is serious business. an unwanted touch is an unwanted touch no matter how you look at it. Is it worth the risk??

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23050, City : calgary, State : AZ Country : Canada, 

Paul-Hodges30455
    Participant
    I worked at the box office of a movie theatre for 2 years and I have been handed hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of credit cards. It's not a gender thing. It's usually happens if the person is careless and/or proud to pay for something. But throwing the money pisses cashiers off.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul-Hodges30455, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.