Making sport of drugs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant
    I think the main result would be fewer people getting arrested for having, doing and selling drugs. People have shown pretty clearly that they'll get addicted to drugs whether they're legal or not. So if drugs were legal, the criminal justice system would spend less time worrying about it. I'm not sure how sports would be affected any more or less than the rest of society.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SR28438
    Participant
    What kind of sports? Professional sports? I think that professional atheletes who want to use drugs already do so. I think just about anyone who wants to use drugs won't wait for them to be legalized. If illegal drugs were harshly regulated by the government--say they lowered THC content to almost nil in marijuana and added physically addictive crap to it--I think that would be bad...commercial and addictive, like cigarettes. If drugs became legalized and regulated the way they are in Amsterdam, I think that would be great, as long as people are properly educated about the effects of drug use...and not the propaganda the schools are dishing out right now.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28438, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Jason
    Participant
    How do people of various backgrounds think legalization of drugs would influence society, and in particular, sports?

User Detail :  

Name : Jason, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jacquline-C
    Participant
    I am by no means a supporter of drug use, but I believe the legalization of drugs would alleviate many problems related to drug use that plague communities. There will always be a black market for drugs, but the consumer demand for black market drugs will be greatly reduced if there is a legal means of acquiring them. Obviously making drugs illegal didn't prevent people from using, just like Prohibition didn't prevent people from drinking alcohol. If drugs were legal, the industry could be regulated and taxed to help offset the cost of drug-related problems that the government is already paying for.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacquline-C, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan
    Participant
    Well, I think certain drugs should be legalized, such as weed (even a cop will tell you it's a waste of their time). However, if we just get up and one day and say 'it's legal now, have at it!', it would turn into a social disaster. Young kids can walk into half the liquor stores around and get cigarettes and booze with the right kind of fast-talking. We'd be fools to think they wouldn't be able to get their hands on speed or crack more easily than when it was illegal. Therefore, I think we should tax and regulate like crazy. Make it twice as expensive, three times as hard to get, and so on and so forth. But then honestly, driving the drug cartels out of business would be 10 times trickier than trying to bring down Microsoft.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    Jason, I'd like to tell you that legalizing drugs would be a great idea but, the reality is that nothing could be more destructive to a society than legalizing drugs. Let me tell you a true story about a country where cocaine was considered not only legal, it was considered beneficial to use. Since there were no taboos against its use, everyone eventually began to use cocaine to excess. How could it be bad?, they thought, it made you feel so good. Because they craved 'feeling good' so much, they began to spend more time with their drugs and less time with the necessities of life. Eventually, the crops were left to die and rot in the fields, manufacturing stopped so there were no goods to sell. With no goods to sell, there was no money for taxes and the government went broke and failed. Even the ruler of the country became addicted to 'feeling good' and stopped placing the needs of his country above his own need to 'feel good'. The problem was that when the drug wore off, the good feeling went with it. The country in this story, Jason, was China and the time was the late 19th century. China was conquered by the British who just walked in and took over. That's why drugs shouldn't be legalized. If they took down a country like China, what do you think they will do to sports?

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Elizabeth25311
    Participant
    I have to say I totally agree with the response above. People who oppose gun control use the argument, 'if guns are banned, the only people who will have them are those who get them illegally.' The same argument can apply to drug use (though isn't it interesting that politicians who oppose gun controls are usually those who want stricter drug laws). People who want drugs CAN and DO obtain them illegally - and this has led to horrible violent crime (i.e. gang wars, drive-by shootings, etc.) The only people who benefit from the fact that drugs are illegal are the drug dealers themselves. Why not make them legal so we can put controls on them? We have done this with alcohol, which is a very potent and potentially devastating drug. It is ludicrous to me that alcohol is legal, where something like marijuana (which is shown to be much safer than alcohol, and therapeutic in some medical circumstances) is not.

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth25311, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.