Lousy treatment of parents

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Luz Marquez
    Participant
    I have noticed that children and teens do not respect their parents. Everytime I go anywhere, I always see them degrading them or making them look or feel stupid. I was raised to respect my parents to the fullest extent - or else. Is this situation the parents' fault, or is it just what society is coming to?

User Detail :  

Name : Luz Marquez, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 20, City : New Lenox, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : server, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

teen
    Participant
    teens feel disrespected by their parents most of the time, because they don't understand them and at that age they want more freedom than they deserve. sometimes parents either don't try to understand and just say 'my way goes' and sometimes the parents give the kids too much control.

User Detail :  

Name : teen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : Notelling, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    You think it's all teens' fault? Let me share a little story with you. I am 17. I make all A's and B's and love my parents to death. My mom is my best friend in the whole world and nothing will change that. But my dad calls his kids worthless and stupid and constantly yells at me and says I can't do anything right. When we're in public, we have our 'happy faces' on until dad can't hold his temper anymore and starts nagging at me. Don't blame the teen. You may have no idea what the child's and parents' situation is. I'm not saying it's always the parents' fault. But it takes two to tango. And it goes with the old saying: To get respect, give respect.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

SoulSista
    Participant
    It starts at home. As parents, we (because I am the mother of a 2-year-old) set the tone for a few things. One of those things being respect. My mother and I may not be the best of friends like we once were, but I still respect her. My mother was not afraid to get on me if she thought I was getting out of line. And regardless of what society says or thinks, family comes first, and since mother/father is the family, then it would be in our best interest to remember that. After all, the Bible says 'honor thy mother and father and thy days on earth will be lengthened...' Too many times, from what I've seen, the family unit allows 'outsiders' to govern them and tell them that's it's OK to let your child do what they want and say what they want without any sense of recourse for their actions.

User Detail :  

Name : SoulSista, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Windy City, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : supervisor at CSC, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

J21187
    Participant
    I know far too many teens who treat their parents as slaves, and the parents bow to their wishes. Children today do not seem to be effectivley disciplined and do not respond to the discipline they receive. My parents always ensured that I was respectful, even if I was not overly fond of the individual entitled to my respect. The situation seems to be largely caused by society's lack of discipline (meaning order in this sense). We cannot keep in line because we are not even given a line to keep in. If parents don't take matters into their own hands, there is no longer any support for them. Parenting is not easy, especially when multiple children are involved. Society no longer supports the family when the heads are in need of a much-deserved break.

User Detail :  

Name : J21187, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Steven
    Participant
    I have noticed this, too. I am 20 and still living with my parents until I get through college just because I have enough stuff going on without moving out. All I can say is I am very grateful for everything my parents give to me and when they say do something I do it. It makes me angry seeing other kids getting mad at their parents when they won't buy them something or do something. They have jobs to support you so they might not have time, they put a roof over your head and food in your mouth. Guess that's not enough for some kids though. I get a lot of what I want and you could say I'm spoiled, but that's only because I respect my parents and do what they say. I think that if you live under your parents' roof you should shut up and do what they say because they have a lot more experience than you do.

User Detail :  

Name : Steven, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : College, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Vail27402
    Participant
    As I was getting out of my car the other day, I saw a car across the street with the door wide open. A woman and two teens were walking toward it. The woman's daughter (I assume), in response to the door being left open into the street said, 'What an idiot!' I thought, what an obnoxious brat, but -- who raised her? My daughter is not rude to me. It has nothing to do with 'or else.' It has to do with the fact that I've stressed good manners and respect to her and, even more important, given them to her. She is not disrespectful to me because I am not to her. Forget social norms; kids will live up to your expectations.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail27402, Gender : M, Race : mutt, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lee V.
    Participant
    i believe it's both. i believe parents should discipline their child if they are bad. This get the upper hand. I don't mean spank the child but ground them. However, society is changing and making kids act like they are older than they really are.

User Detail :  

Name : Lee V., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Moorhead, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

J21194
    Participant
    I know far too many teens who treat their parents as slaves, and the parents bow to their wishes. Children today do not seem to be effectively disciplined and do not respond to the discipline they receive. My parents always ensured that I was respectful, even if I was not overly fond of the individual entitled to my respect. The situation seems to be largely caused by society's lack of discipline and order. We cannot keep in line because we are not even given a line to keep in. If parents don't take matters into their own hands, there is no longer any support for them. Parenting is not easy, especially when multiple children are involved. Society no longer supports the family when the heads are in need of a much deserved break.

User Detail :  

Name : J21194, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Marilyn
    Participant
    They do this like disrespecting younger children because they think that, like smoking and cussing, it makes them look 'smart.' Hopefully, they will mature out of it. My children turned back into people about the time they graduated from college. Almost everyone older or younger has something to teach each of us. I loved being around my husbands' grandmother who was over 90 and remembered the turn of the 20th century AND man walking on the moon. She could remember in detail the day my husband was born. Life teaches each of us in different ways and we each have to learn something different. Respect and listen to the old folks - we may be crazy but we have already done it. Nana

User Detail :  

Name : Marilyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 58, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben
    Participant
    I, too, have noticed this disturbing trend...now that I'm getting closer to the age when I'll be having my own children, it bothers me even more. I think there are several reasons why this has occurred in our culture: 1.) Parents don't want to be parents...they want to be friends. They want to avoid conflict. Therefore, they don't discipline their children. 2.) They don't teach their children about authority, or the need to respect it. Let's face it, these children are the offspring of baby-boomers. That generation decided to reject all current Western philosophies and practices to achieve some 'enlightened' state that their parents were for some reason unaware of. The parents rejected their parents' authority, and never taught their kids to respect it, either. Therefore kids no longer hold parents as sacred.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Newberry, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lee-V
    Participant
    Some parents let their children get away with too much. Some parents don't believe in discipline but that is pretty much the only way for a parent to get the upper hand. I'm not saying spank them. I'm mostly saying ground them or something. But yes children are getting to where they treat their parents terribly.

User Detail :  

Name : Lee-V, Gender : M, Age : 21, City : Moorhead, State : MS Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    You know what I was thinking the same thing. The way I see some kids acting now makes me upset. In most cases I would blame the parents. It seems that many parents now are trying to be friends with their child and not disciplining them the way they should. Not that there is anything wrong with being friends with your child but there needs to be a balance. I would say I had a good balance of discipline and fun with my parents. (My dad was more discipline than fun, lol) Even though I had fun with my parents they chastised me when needed. I didn't understand then their strict upbringing but now I appreciate it. My parents taught me hard work, discipline and how to respect others. I know all the blame can't lie solely on the parents but they need to get stricter on the discipline - not too strict though. (Being too strict would be a form of abuse and may cause a problem child) I guess it's illegal now but I think children benefit from spankings not beatings but spankings. My parents spanked me and it did me no harm, contrary to popular belief. Have you ever heard the scripture '..you spare the rod, you spoil the child..'?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

NE25233
    Participant
    Correction: SOME teens do not respect their parents. These are generally the teenagers who were spoiled rotten their whole lives, whose parents bailed them out of detentions, bad grades and jail. Their parents never demanded respect, so they never got it. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for my parents, and have never thought much of the people who expect rides to the mall and money for new clothes but refuse to be seen in public with their parents.

User Detail :  

Name : NE25233, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Binghamton, State : NY Country : United States, 

Nabriya
    Participant
    I understand what you are saying because I have been seeing this a lot. Sometimes it's the parent fault for letting their child get away with too much. For example my friend's parents allow her to do anything and she talks to them as if they are one of her friends on the street. I would never call my mother anything but 'Moomy' or 'Ma.' My friend is allowed to call her mother by her first name. I think it boils down to what the parents allow the child to do.

User Detail :  

Name : Nabriya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 17, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.