Loud African-American females

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Gina21687
    Participant
    Why do African-American women and girls scream so much, or talk so loud? I'm a teacher, and sometimes I can hardly think in class because my African-American girls are so loud. Also, they are so quick to jump to conclusions and get really defensive about everything.

User Detail :  

Name : Gina21687, Gender : F, City : Loves Park, State : IL Country : United States, 

Jolene29361
    Participant
    Not all black women are loud. I'm a black female and my friends and I use normal tone speaking voices when we talk to eachother unless we're in a loud room and it's hard to hear what someone is saying. You really shouldn't generalize and make it seem like its all black women who are loud. Where I work there's a group of white women who are very loud and boisterous and they make inappropriate comments about their personal business out loud so everyone can hear them. But instead of thinking that all white women are loud and ignorant, I recognize that it's just a few and not all of them. The truth of the matter is that whenever black people are loud for any reason its viewed as (excuse my french) a bunch of niggers acting up again and when ever whites are loud people assume that their either having a good time or there's some reasonable explanation that justifies their loudness. I believe that it's a form of racism on a subconcious level. As far as black women getting defensive and jumping to conclusions about everything as you put it, again there are some white women that do the same thing. It's not a race issue it's an individual issue. Some people are just more sensitive than others. I know some white women who are constantly on the defensive and will jump down your throat if you so much as look in their direction. I think the next time you're in a public setting where there are people of different races present, you should take an honest, unbiased look at the way everyone of every color is behaving and I'm sure you will see that loud, defensive people are in every race, every religion and both genders.

User Detail :  

Name : Jolene29361, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : book keeper, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Tamala
    Participant
    How would you feel if I asked, "Why don't white women have no backside, or no rhythm?" You would be pissed. I and most of my friends, relatives and co-workers do not portray the characteristics of the young black girls and women you have seen. Maybe the black girls you claim to teach have no home training, or no guardian to teach values and discipline.

You should attend my school, where the white and Hispanic girls (they are even worse) are just as loud and ghetto as the African-American girls.

A good example of loud non-black females (particularly white women) would be guests on Jerry Springer.

User Detail :  

Name : Tamala, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Lisa22735
    Participant
    Here's an explanation I've heard before: Many African Americans live in poverty. Poverty often creates crowded conditions in housing. In order to be heard in a crowded household, one must be loud. A quiet person would quickly fade into the background in many of these homes. As for the defensiveness, I'm guessing it comes from a lifetime of discrimination and needing to be able to defend one's decisions and choices. Those are my two cents.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22735, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Stacia
    Participant
    I don't think it's fair to assume that every black woman on the face of this earth talks really loud and screams. True, some do, but then again, so do some white women. As a black woman, it gets really irritating when people think that just because one or two black women are loud, then those black women are representing the entire race of black females. White women can be loud, too. I know from firsthand experience, but I don't generalize and assume that every other white woman on earth talks really loud just because a few do.

If you're looking for some definite answer as to why it is that black women talk so loud, there is none. Maybe it's just the personalities of the black girls in your class. Everyone is different. I'm a young black woman who doesn't talk loud and scream all the time. As far as black women jumping to conclusions and getting defensive all the time, once again, not all of us do. It's impossible for me or any other black woman to really answer these kinds of questions because I don't feel like this is a racial issue. Some black women will get really defensive over the least little thing, and some won't. But then again, the same thing can be said about white women and any other race of woman. To sum it all up, if you want to know why some black women talk so loud, you will have to ask the ones who talk loud. If you want to know why some black women get really defensive and jump to conclusions, you will have to ask the ones who get really defensive and jump to conclusions

User Detail :  

Name : Stacia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Naperville, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G.E. Long
    I would think that as a teacher you would know better than to make a generalizaton about a group, just because of the actions of a few. Black girls are no louder than white, Asian, etc. - and depending on the age group you are teaching, they ALL could be loud, but for some reason, you take note more when it comes from your black female students. I've been in the company of white women who greet each other quite loudly with those 'sorority sister' screams - how does the behavior of your students differ from that? As far as their being defensive, is it your actions and statements towards them that cause them to respond so?? Also, how much exposure did you have to black people before taking this position?

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

zina
    Participant
    I have the same question about white women. I've always noticed in public places that white women seem to scream at each other like they are hearing impaired.

User Detail :  

Name : zina, City : richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

alma31448
    Participant
    Gina, I applaud your taking the initiate to ask this question, even though i only saw one objective reply posted; the rest were totally defensive. I work in a military enviroment thats comprised of a very diverse group and can tell you that loud and/or defensive behavior is by no means isolated to any one group. You're talking about a learned behavior that could attributed to any number of things, enviroment, peer pressure, home setting, you name it. 'Y' is here for the express purpose of asking questions about other cultures that we may not understand. Your question tells me that you desire to better understand your students and that is commendable. The answers you see posted are from people who are excerising their rights under the 1st admendment to express their opinons. And wheter they like it or not, you have that same right. Go girl!!!!!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : alma31448, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 47, City : kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

JerryS
    Participant
    Perhaps this has to do with the popular figures they see on TV? It seems to me that certain TV shows that feature African-American casts are populated with characters who screech a lot. There have been influential TV shows in the past whose characters and dialogue influenced common behavior, so this may be just another example that happens to couple African-American women with a particularly noisy schtick.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Trina
    The first answer that came to mind when you asked why black girls are so loud was, 'Maybe because you're not listening.' Ask yourself if you are showing bias to the other girls in your classroom. Is the only time you talk to your black female students to tell them to settle down? Do you ever compliment them on their achievements or appearance? Have you encouraged them to channel their outspokenness and energy into productive activities or projects? In a society fraught with racism and sexism, African-American girls are at a double disadvantage. That defensiveness is an act of survival in a society that tries to render them invisible because of their sex and race. Given how we treat girls, often an outspoken girl (of any color) is a blessed individual whose refusal to be silenced is the sign of a healthy spirit. As their teacher, search for ways to channel their spiritedness into productive activities and make your classroom a safe space for African-American girls, where they are valued.

User Detail :  

Name : Trina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Latina, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Chris32153
    Participant
    I think the real question is, Why is everybody else so quiet?? Why don't white people speak up, and Asians? Can somebody answer this?

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32153, City : Windsor, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Paul
    Participant
    I don't know why, but you are right - though I would say it seems to be African-American young people moreso than just females. I realize this is a generalization, but it is a legitimate issue. My wife is Chinese, and I assure you that she too is struck by this phenomenon. We don't go to predominantly 'black' movie theaters because we can rarely hear the movie over the noise.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Maya
    Participant
    Not all black females are loud, I am NOT a loud person. I dont really like associating with loud people, my mother, grandmother, aunt,uncle, and a few cousin are not loud, whereas the others are. It all depends on that persons' personality and sometime the people they assoicate with...

User Detail :  

Name : Maya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black,Hispanic,white,asian, and american indians, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 18, City : Winston Salem, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Megan
    Participant
    Women are taught to shut up and be submissive. Be glad that some have enough 'balls' to speak up, even if they happen to be black!

User Detail :  

Name : Megan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : dubuque, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Megan
    Participant
    I am white and I grew up in a family of women. None of us are quiet. In class everyone know to shut up, because I'll yell right over them. I am well-mannered, but if I have something to say...I'm going to goddamn say it. More women need to be the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Megan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : dubuque, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.