Lip-smacking Filipinos

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Fernando
    Participant
    I am Filipino, but not from the 'old school,' as most put it. Some of my relatives, friends' parents, and adults my parents know do smack their lips. I was taught at a young age that manners count for everything. Especially eating. In the summer of 2000 I had a chance to go back to the Philippines and visited my family members on both sides. It seemed that the etiquette was poor, as if they were in a hurry. I still have a friend who has a tendency to do that, and we don't pay him any mind, since he is a long-time friend and we're used to it. What I will say is that it is disgusting, and it isn't in good taste (no pun intended) to eat like such. As I've mentioned before, manners count for everything, and in public I do not do any of the formentioned habits.

User Detail :  

Name : Fernando, Gender : M, Race : Asian, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Eduardo
    Participant
    I was born and raised in Manila, Philippines. I chew with my mouth closed. That's just how my parents raised me. In any case, most of the Filipinos I know chew with their mouths closed. I totally agree with Kim R's reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Eduardo, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 33, City : Mandaluyong, State : NA Country : Philippines, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Gerry
    Participant
    I grew up in the Philippines and was taught it was impolite to make any sounds while having a meal (other than scintillating conversation, of course). There's an old bromide about Filipinos being offended by guests who don't partake of every dish laid out on the table, but I do not know of any adage that says rude noises while eating are considered complimentary to the host. Rude is rude in any society. These notions often disguise biases that reinforce our 'otherness' and condone our marginalization. Filipinos have a celebratory attitude about meals - they are meant to be shared and enjoyed. It's a pity if some non-Filipinos miss out on such an experience because they choose to sit in judgment of our table manners.

User Detail :  

Name : Gerry, Gender : M, Race : Filipino, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Richard29749
    Participant
    I spent a week in 3 different islands there in 1988, always ate with other people around me, and never noticed any such thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard29749, Gender : M, City : Miami Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 

Robert-J28638
    Participant
    Richard, I think that scintillating question was foisted because of possible bias toward Filipinos. If you never noticed while you were in the Philippines, how in the world of all subjects here (poverty, war, Medicare, employment, retirement)are not primordially asked? Instead they zeoed in on 'Lip smacking ' sound!! In America, we need to bridge up to people. We can learn from this. Thanks, I hope you had a nice stay in that country as a visitor. You probably enjoyed the hospitality of the people instead of looking for faults. Mabuhay ka Richard!!

User Detail :  

Name : Robert-J28638, Gender : M, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.