Less racism in Canada?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rachel
    Participant
    I've only lived in Canada a year, but I perceive far less racism here and far more acceptance of diversity. My biracial son even asked, 'Mom, why are black men in Canada so different from black men in the States?' Black men in Canada don't seem hopeless or held back. Are my perceptions true? Is there less racism in Canada?

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Niagara-on-the-Lake, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aysha20803
    Participant
    Historically, Canada has had less racism than the U.S. Back in the days of slavery, there was the 'Underground Railroad', where slaves were smuggled out of the south and into freedom. Contrary to popular belief, they were not trying to get into the North U.S. They were trying to reach Canada, where they could live as free people. Harriet Tubman, the 'leader' of the Railroad, also had a home there. Interracial marriage was also legal in Canada long before it was legal in the U.S. That is something that is still seen as a problem here, people marrying out of their own ethnic background. From what I have been told by people who have lived in both Canada and the U.S., they feel the U.S. stresses ethnic differences much more than Canada. I have heard many comment that the stress of racism in much stronger in the states.

User Detail :  

Name : Aysha20803, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Ammon, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    There was never any black slavery in Canada, however, if you think white Canadians are 'less racist' ask a Canadian Aboriginie. I think you might be a little surprised at exactly how racist they are. The 'lack of hopelessness' you see among black men in Canada may also be due to a lack of tolerance of the 'victim' mindset so prevalent among blacks of all ages and both sexes in the U.S.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J.J.
    A lot of Canadian liberals will say YES, because it is rather fashionable among members of that crowd to see Canada as some sort of utopia that is free of all the sins of the United States. In reality though, I think the situation is much more complicated, and isn't simply a matter of Canadians being inherently 'less' racist. I think part of the fact is that Canada, overall does not have much of a history of blacks, so there is less cultural/socioeconomic 'baggage' attached to being black in this country. Slavery in Canada was incredibly short lived because it was very impractical in a cold northern nation like this. This led to smaller black populations, which in turn left no need to create elaborate anti-segregation laws. It's really not unlike the situation in northern states like Vermont or Idaho or wherever. But because we had no equivalent of the US South in this country, today Canada lacks the whole elaborate Jesse Jackson African-American civil rights subculture that is such a powerful force in American society. Blacks thus aren't really considered 'special' in Canada, and are instead simply just another visible minority group, like Asians and east Indians. A lot of today's Canadian blacks are likewise immigrants from Haiti, Jamaica, etc, and as such they are even more distant from the American African-American culture. In short, I think the easiest answer is that a lot of Canadians simply don't really think or care much about blacks as a unique community. They've never really had enough of an active presence in Canadian society for people to develop strong feelings one way or another.

User Detail :  

Name : J.J., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Vancouver, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : cartoonist, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Rebekah
    Participant
    I'm glad that you and your family perceive less racism in Canada - it gives me some kind of pride in my upbringing. On the other hand, don't be fooled, it definitely does exist in Canada. Different areas will bring out different attitudes, different family backgrounds, too. I think perhaps there is a different heritage to Canadian racism - there wasn't any slavery, so the inherent 'division' was never entrenched in law or as accepted practice. I've often perceived, from a distance, a difference in how African Americans view themselves within their country and culture, but don't understand the mechanisms behind this. Is it the history? Does it have to be that way? Is it just in the South, or the North as well? One of my biracial Canadian friends spent several childhood years in Africa, and doesn't seem to identify with any of the 'American' African cultural ideals. Geography and history seem to be really important somehow...

User Detail :  

Name : Rebekah, Gender : F, Age : 32, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Laurie
    Participant
    From what I've read, Canada is less racist. And the reason is because Canada did not enslave black people, as the U.S. did, so their traditions and culture are less racist.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

SadhbhDC
    I think the difference is that the USA has a very polarised view of and continues to believe in the construction of 'race'. This is so ingrained in the culture and history of the USA that the people of that country are often perplexed when they see other nationalities no sharing their own view of 'race' and it not really being an issue. Also, i think Canada is a very enlightened country- i mean they produce a lot of activists and are far more internationalist than people of the USA.

User Detail :  

Name : SadhbhDC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 15, City : Dublin, State : NA Country : Ireland, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.