Latinos and taking action

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Lucy-H22473
    Participant
    Many Latinos run on a different clock than everybody else. We like to refer to it as Chicano Time. This clock is more relaxed than other people's clocks; in fact, sometimes time means virtually nothing, which with tend to frustrate those who want to get everything done NOW. Chicano Time is at odds with the tightly wound world that many people live in, where there is too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I love being around my family, where time doesn't mean much. It's amazing how much more time there seems to be when you don't pay attention to it.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22473, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alma
    Participant
    You didn't specify if your attempts are work- or leisure-related. If it's a leisure activity, I have the same issue, but I know the reason, and I don't think it's exclusive to Hispanic culture. The friends and co-workers I deal with are military personnel with families. Whenever something comes up outside of work, their first reaction is 'What do I have planned with my family during that time?' Family time is a major issue with them because it tends to be very limited. The usual answer I get is 'Let me check with my wife/husband and get back to you.' It's not indecision; rather, they want to make sure no family plans are interrupted. Especially for young parents on tight budgets, decisions require joint discussion to preclude unexpected stress. Are the people you're thinking about very family-oriented? Do they want to be involved in activities for cousins and grandparents as well as spouses and/or their own children? That takes up a lot of time for one person. Maybe the reason you think the issue deals only with Hispanics is that you deal with many Hispanics on a daily basis. And ... I applaud your question; it means you have enough tolerance to want an honest answer to an honest question.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Richard
    I get frustrated when I try to get something done or make plans with a Latino and they seem to have an air of insecurity and indecision about doing it right away. Why are Latinos like this?

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 42, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Richard
    I understand and appreciate your comments but what stills drives me crazy is the inequality of the situation. What I am referring to is the fact that some latinos will do things in their time but expect others to do it on the other time schedule that you refer to. I do not have a problem with the lationo time zone if it is applied equally to both sides.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 42, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

ACC24053
    Participant
    It seems to me that 'Mexican time' is identical to and descended from its father, 'Indian time.' That's probably where Latinos originally got their 'unhurried' sense of time. There's a common saying among many native peoples: 'The shortest measure of time is a day.' It makes no more sense to us to break down time further into hours and minutes than it would for you to count milliseconds. We only do it when we have to, e.g. when Anglo employers or customers force us to. So it's no wonder those acquaintances of yours would chafe at being forced to modify their behavior to suit Anglo standards when they are on their own time. For that matter, I've often heard black people talk about 'C.P.T.' (Colored People's Time). I've heard Filipinos joke about 'Filipino time,' so maybe it's common to some Asian people as well. There might be other groups with similar views of time out there that I don't know about. I think I should turn your question on its head and ask: Are Anglos the only group that, by most other groups' standards, is so complusive and even downright anal about time?

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24053, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : West Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

Nelson-A20177
    Participant
    I can talk to you about doing business with Latin-Americans in general (from Argentina to Canada). Most Latinos (not only Mexicans) are kind of laid-back and have a 'let's look into it and see' approach to things. We get things done, and right away if we're interested enough and SURE about it. But we'd rather study it well, discuss it, sometimes over and over, a few 'business' meetings in between, and finally say 'let's go.' But then again, we're not English on the deadlines, either. Use the 'ish' approach to time instead of the 'sharp' when doing business with us. Also, expect some nights on the town (Scotch and martinis), restaurants, social gatherings, etc. If you can't stand this, we notice it, and we may do business with you but you will never be a true partner or associate, unless you learn to 'enjoy' business, or life in general, like we do.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20177, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephen S.
    Participant
    When I show up on time to an engagement (and I mean ON-TIME) sometimes I am teased for running on German time, which implies that Germanic people have a predisposition for being punctual. I do not know if this is my heritage coming through (I am half-German) or not. To me, it is the polite thing to do. If someone thinks enough of me to invite me into their home or out on the town, the least I can do is show up when they ask me to. Showing up late without a good excuse is just plain rude.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen S., Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.