Jewish people and money/power

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

G-Chan
    Participant
    Why does it seem that many members of the Jewish community have a lot of money, power and smarts? From Einstein to Streisand, and Hollywood to diamond dealing, where does it come from?

User Detail :  

Name : G-Chan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Monréal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

A.V.
    Participant
    The roots of many Jews in North America go back to the great wave of immigration from South and East Europe in the early 20th century. It's likely that members of the Jewish community you have in mind have been here for three or four generations. They have been able to settle, open businesses, make money, own real estate and organize on many levels. As for celebrities and other notable individuals, I'm sure plenty of them are non-Jewish.

User Detail :  

Name : A.V., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Brian23022
    Participant
    I know several Jews through work, and none of them has any money. The only Jewish family with any money that I have known was that of a doctor. Jews I work with now are journalists. If all I knew of blacks was gathered from television, I'd probably think they were either ghetto poor or NBA rich. People of all races litter every platform in our society.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23022, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Peru, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Theo
    Participant
    I don't think it's just time that has helped Jews to become a force in American culture. It's the fact that Jews, maybe more than some other cultural groups, seem to put a heavy emphasis on literacy, higher education and hard work. It's true that Jews do have a disproportionate representation in the media, and in many high-profile occupations. It's not a plot to take over the world, as some seem to think. It's just a culturally ingrained drive to excel. Also, perhaps because of their history of persecution, Jews do tend to have a certain solidarity. They help each other by supporting Jewish businesses and charities and lending a hand to new Jewish immigrants. There is a stereotype that Jews only help each other, though, and that is not true. Many Jews put themselves on the frontlines during the Civil Rights Movement in the '60s, and have been active in countless other causes. If you want insight into Jewish society and Jewish attitudes about civil rights, I suggest you read the book, 'The Temple Bombing.'

User Detail :  

Name : Theo, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sean-H28272
    Participant
    I always understood that it was because early Christianity forbade the charging of interest on loans (much as Islam does today). Judaism had no restrictions, so the Jews ended up being the moneylenders to all (religious persecution also limited what else they could do). Thus the Jews were forced into doing what they have been historically derided for doing - being the moneylenders.

User Detail :  

Name : Sean-H28272, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Geologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ronit
    Until recently, Jews were discriminated against when looking for work, so they had to become self-employed by opening a business or becoming a doctor, etc. And you know the saying, 'You never get rich working for someone else.' So with a lot of hard work and sacrifices, they made their fortune. With this money, they can help their kids start or continue the business or go on to higher education. Also, Jews tend to be smarter than average because for centuries they were persecuted. Only the smartest ones survived; the dumber ones got weeded out of the gene pool. Currently, anti-Semitism is very low in North America, and professors are finding that Jewish students don't score as highly as they used to; now there is no pressing need to overachieve.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronit, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 38, City : Mississauga, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Self-employed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ike
    Jews are better able to 'blend' into mainstream (white) society than other ethnic minority groups. So, in conjunction with a good work ethic and other key 'traits' for success, Jews have become successful in the States. If other ethnic minority groups could 'blend' so well, I'd venture that they could become more successful, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Ike, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : Jersey City, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Eve25277
    Participant
    The sole reason is that Jews are God's chosen people and are destined to succeed because they have been anointed and chosen by God because of their father Abraham, who was a man of genuine faith. So it is ultimately for divine reasons. They have the God-given ability to succeed and whatever they do turns to 'gold'. They are also hard workers and very shrewd.

User Detail :  

Name : Eve25277, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    My own opinion: it's because literacy and education have always been stressed. In order to be a good Jew, one must be educated in Jewish law. The stress on religious education and literacy has spilled over into secular education and literacy. More literacy and education equals more smarts.

Another explanation: Because of anti-Semitism, Jews around the world were banned from certain occupations, land ownership, etc. Therefore, Jews were forced into service occupations, such as medicine, law and teaching, all of which require extensive education.

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D-Poet31806
    Participant
    There are many Jewish people who don't have money. Barbra Streisand worked for her wealth, she sings and acts, that's called working for it. Einstein was a genius and got what he deserved: acclaim and praise. If you put in 100 percent, you get 100 percent, or even more. I know many lower-class families who don't have this drive and remain in lower class surroundings. It all depends on the individual. This may not be the case all the time, but when someone works hard, they can go far. People who are rich worked hard for it, it's just a coincidence they are Jewish. There are many wealthy Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Catholics, Portestants, Mormons, Wicken, etc. Religion has nothing to do with it.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Poet31806, Age : 16, City : Anywhere, State : NA Country : Everywhere, 

Ita
    Jews are smart because as children we are taught to think from the Bible (Talmud Gemara). Jews from a very early age are taught to think for themselves, question authority and think sharply. Judaism is a religion that encourages questions and investigation, which is why Jews are always thinking of what to do next. In addition, Jews are brought up with good moral standards. It is easier to focus on success when you are not consummed with drugs, alcoho and sex. As kids we are discouraged from watching TV, but rather focus on schoolwork and community service. Jews tend to come from large families, thereby making them responsible individuals who are good at multi-tasking, and pressure. The main reason Jews are so smart is because we follow God, and only good things can come from that.

User Detail :  

Name : Ita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 22, City : Netanya, State : NY Country : Israel, Occupation : journalist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

James J
    What a great question - and equally great answers, however, it still side-stepped the real issue of diversity . . . Is it the genes or the environment?

User Detail :  

Name : James J, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 70, City : Santa Rosa, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AAa24998
    Participant
    They have been merchants for thousands of years. The first Jewish settlement here I believe in the 1600's one individual ended up owning 28 ships and another owning 18 before thay die, and so on. That is just the way they are and the way they think. I believe that humans are divided into many differnt kinds of tribes who are talented differntly and they are a merchant tribe.

User Detail :  

Name : AAa24998, City : AAA, State : AR Country : Denmark, 

zane
    Participant
    Studying history does in fact show a lot about why people of Jewish stock are involved in money. In addition to the facts already pointed out, that Jews had a hard time getting other jobs because of who they were, that scholarship and family tradition are strong in the culture, and the issue of usury, during the middle ages, there were actually papal bulls in which the pope said that handling money was dirty and inappropriate for a Christian to do. In those days, what the pope said was what the community did. So Jewish people, who were in European cities for various reasons, found that by applying their culturally-driven work ethic and shrewdness they could get and succeed in these suddenly vacant jobs in finance and so forth. By the time Christians decided that maybe money wasn't so bad (Christians still used money a lot, obviously) there were already lots of Jewish, if i may use the word, dynasties of strong family owned and staffed financial establishments. The only other people in Europe who got into it before the more modern era were the denizens of Amsterdam, for whatever reason.

User Detail :  

Name : zane, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Student of Jesus, Age : 20, City : phila, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.