Is the Customer Always Right?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Alma
    Participant
    In the last year, I've seen many customer service employees leave their professions because of what they call 'customer rage.' Who came up with the crazy idea that a customer is right no matter how abusive they are? (screaming, profanity, physical abuse) Does this mean the American public is more ill-mannered or that service-industry employees are finally standing up to unwarranted abuse? I've been to Europe and Asia and have not seen the level of irresponsible behavior I see from customers, especially children in the United States. I'd like to hear from professionals who deal with this issue from both sides - the customer and the employee.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Brian23057
    Participant
    Part of my job includes collecting delinquent bills, and I am currently searching for a new job because of what you've described. I've been cursed, threatened and screamed at while on the job, and frankly, I'm sick of it. A few months ago a 70-plus-year-old man threatened to punch my secretary in the nose because he didn't want to pay the bill. As far as I'm concerned, 'individuals' are fine, but 'people' are stupid. The problem seems to be that the 'public' forgets that we are people, too. We're your moms and dads, kids, cousins and neighbors. I am not an indentured servant. I am not a slave. My parents did not conceive me for the purpose of being yelled at because someone else wants to be a 'squeaky wheel.'

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23057, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth23218
    Participant
    My first job when I was 16 trained me that the customer IS always right. No matter what. Make the customer happy - build goodwill. It seems to me like this pride in a job well done has gone by the wayside. I admit, there are customers who get a little hairy, but take a moment and don't take it personally - let them vent. If he's spending his money, and keeping you employed, he deserves your happiest face, utmost respect and understanding. If you can't give it, get out of the service industry.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23218, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Ashkenazic/Mexican - 3rd generation American, Religion : Jewish, Age : 33, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Advertising Agency manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gus
    Participant
    The customer is NOT always right. As a former retail manager, I have been in a lot of customer situations, and I think it comes down to something like this: Most customers are 'OK,' meaning that they just want what they came in after, they want good value for their money and they expect the product to be free of defects. So far, so good. Most retail clerks are indifferent, because they make so little money and perceive themselves just as cash register operators. Naturally pleasant people will always have a smile and a nice greeting in this situation, but otherwise, it's just doing a job and delivering the minimal courtesy needed to get by. (If sales commission is involved, some care and some don't.) Product knowledge is next to zero; when I go to buy something, I check it out beforehand, and the actual store visit is just to purchase the item. I don't expect anyone to be able to help me. A small percentage of customers, though, have self-esteem issues and are just itching for some opportunity to prove that 'I have bought something from you, therefore I own you.' Others just have personal problems in general, and bring those to the retail environment. Others are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Still others (especially high-income customers) expect their lives to be perfect, and when something goes wrong with a product they've bought, they go ballistic because they've been slightly inconvenienced. The independent retailer can tell such customers to take their business elsewhere, but someone working for a corporate retailer can't exercise such a prerogative. The only solution seems to be some sort of 'uniform retail code' protecting the rights of both retailers and customers (including the right of retailers to put together some kind of 'difficult customer registry' similar to bad-check registries), and I for one don't want more federal regulation in my life or anyone else's.

User Detail :  

Name : Gus, Gender : M, City : Cola, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Former Retail Manager, 

Lisa
    I used to work in retail. I was often ill-equipped to deal with customers because my training was so limited in regard to the clothing we sold. There were no commission incentives to motivate familiarizing oneself. The management did not keep us 'in the loop,' so we had no idea what was coming in or being sold. That said, the people I worked with were pleasant enough and worked hard enough. It was a boring job. And even with all our mistakes, our customers were, for the most part, very patient and friendly. The majority of customer abuse I encountered was from 'thieves.' It's so ironic, but people get more self-righteous when they are wrong. Often women would try to return dresses after wearing them once and would melt into a rage when we wouldn't accept them without the tags (even though our tags and return policy were clearly marked everywhere.) One woman tried a scam by paying $100 short in cash and then yelling at me for miscounting. She made a scene! It's not a generalization that applies to all things, but in retail, people seem to get nasty when you don't let them get away with something... And I think it's fair to say that in American culture, when people are uncomfortable or defensive they can respond by turning the volume up; I guess it helps convince themselves more than anything.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mr. Clark
    Participant
    I can't speak for everyone who has ever yelled at a service employee, but it's been my experience that in some situations retailers will try to pull a fast one on a customer if given the opportunity. For example, I decide to return an item I bought two days earlier, unopened, and with a receipt. The clerk tells me there will be a 15 percent re-stocking fee, I scream, jump up and down and generally make an ass of myself - and I get a full refund. Obviously the clerk had the authority to give me a full refund but for whatever reason didn't do it. Was it some unposted policy that only people who make a fuss get treated fairly? If so, the clerk should take it up with management, not me.

User Detail :  

Name : Mr. Clark, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Vancouver, British Colombia, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    No one is always right. If a person operates a business and wants to remain in business, discretion must be used regarding which customers to placate and which would be better lost.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, City : Bradenton, State : FL Country : United States, 

K.R.N.
    As the editor for a national newsletter on customer service, I have to admit that, no, the customer is not always right. However, as an employee in the service industry, it is your job to serve these people, whether they are right or wrong. That's not to say you should stand for verbal or physical abuse of any kind. But there are ways that you can get the customer to calm down and actually get to solutions. From my experiences in talking with industry experts and from years of writing articles, here are a few things to keep in mind:
    1. Customers are usually angry at their situation, not you. If a customer starts to yell at you, instead of getting defensive or angry, think about how they must feel for just a second. Showing empathy is one of the first steps you should take to calm someone down. On the other hand, if you get defensive right off the bat, it immediately sends a signal to the customer that you are 'uncooperative,' and may aggravate him or her further.
    2. Acknowledge the problem/agree with them. It's hard for any 'reasonable' person to continue yelling abuses when you show you are on their side. Saying something like, 'I'd be upset too if I were in your situation,' or 'I agree - that policy does seem unreasonable,' doesn't admit guilt, but it shows the customer you are human and are on their side. Caution: This doesn't mean you should slam your company in front of the customer. That's never appropriate. You should simply take the opportunity to acknowledge the customer's problem and let the customer know you understand how he or she feels.
    3. Show you care. I hate to say it, but you will have a hard time working in the service industry if you couldn't care less about customers. Indifference and having a poor attitude are among the biggest complaints customers have about companies. While you may not be able to change the rules or even turn a customer's situation around, if you make an effort to listen to the customer and show you care, you will go a long way in earning an upset customer's appreciation and respect.
    4. Take action. Don't promise to do things for customers if you're not going to follow up on what you say. I guarantee that if you don't live up to your promises, the customer who might have come in or called a bit frustrated will come back furious - or they may never come back at all. That may be good for you, but it's not good for your company or its reputation.

User Detail :  

Name : K.R.N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Lake Worth, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Renata
    I think the customer is right, to a degree. The customer has no right to call an associate vulgar names or threaten bodily harm. Some customers take full advantage of that policy and get something for nothing. For example, a customer will return an item to a store from which he or she did not purchase it, and get a full refund - just because he or she threatens to call the corporate office; this is a misuse of the policy.

User Detail :  

Name : Renata, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Hope Mills, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : photo-lab technician, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Amy
    Participant
    I have been in customer service for two years full time (two years prior part time). I must say there are plenty of customers who call and are rude and abusive and just call to flat out argue. Lonely, lonely people. But we have had trainings on this and our boss has given us permission to speak up. I have been called every name and some I've never heard of. I let it run off my back, but some co-workers take it personally. We interupt the person and ask them what exactly they need. Typically if they call to argue, they don't have a point and cannot state it, so they'll start yelling. We interrupt and ask again and say we are not there to be abused and screamed at and if they cannot call a business and act like an adult the call will be terminated. Usually they calm down or continue screaming, at which point I hang up and mark their file. So the company I work for has a wonderful approach. At an old company I worked, for we had to take all the yelling. I quit eventually. I would say though, that people think if they call, that the person answering the phone is a nobody that they can scream at, and think we are paid to tolerate it. We are not.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.