Is acne a turn-off?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Kelsey
    I'm a 19-year-old guy and still have a fair amount of acne on my face. Is acne a big turn-off to girls? I'm not particularly ugly, but I was curious about how much acne affects the attractivness of a guy.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelsey, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Caroline
    Participant
    When I first met my husband, he was in his mid twenties and had a fair amount of acne. I had been to a dermatologist who did wonders for me when I was 19 and still not acne-free. I gently suggested my old dermatologist to my then boyfriend. I did this because his bad skin seemed to be affecting his ego. He worked out, ate right and was highly successful, but didn't like the way pictures of himself came out and thought he should have outgrown acne by then. True, girls like smooth, healthy, youthful-looking skin. I think it's just nicer aesthetically. However, if my husband had never gone to the dermatologist, I still would have married him. It seems like something relatively shallow to judge a person by, but first impressions count for a lot. I guess what I'm saying is that if it bothers you, see a doctor. The confidence clear skin brings will be extremely attractive to girls. I'm also saying we are each our own worst critics, and chances are if it doesn't bother you, it won't bother those around you, either.

User Detail :  

Name : Caroline, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 25, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Shannon28080
    Participant
    I may be a little late in answering, but better late than never! Anyway, yes...acne does affect attractivness VERY MUCH. I'm a 16 year old female and when I see a guy with a large amount of acne on his face, it turns me off from him. It sounds really rude, but its true. Although, Once I get to know that person really well and if he's a great guy, then his acne disappears because his personality draws out more. :o)

User Detail :  

Name : Shannon28080, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : MoVal, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Yuna
    I'm not attracted to Acne. But if a person has many other attributes that i like, i'm not going to not like him just because he has acne. I've liked many guys who have had acne. sometimes you just don't notice it that much because it is just a light sprinkle. basicly, if a guy can make me laugh, is friendly, self-confident(MAJOR), and has similar views on certain issues as me(DOUBLE MAJOR), i'm going to like him whether he is fat, skinny, has acne, doesn't, is any race, whatever... initial physical attractiveness? if your acne is really bad, some people might be turned off, initially. We are tres (very) ignorant when first meeting people. We have been culturally conditioned to act that way. Anyway, your special qualities should outweigh attractiveness anyday. Attractiveness fades, especially if you are a jerk. Attractiveness also changes, one day one race may not be considered attractive, the next day they are, one body type is not considered attractive, the next day it is...

User Detail :  

Name : Yuna, Gender : F, Age : 17, City : Queens, State : NY Country : United States, 

Poro Poro
    Life is unfair, but yes, as Caroline says, looks and first impressions do matter, and if you have a blemished face, people will probably notice and have to get around that before they see the real you. Clear skin, after all, conveys good health, and it is built in their primal instincts to be attracted by that. On the brighter side, I think in a way it helps protect one from running into people who only care about looks.

User Detail :  

Name : Poro Poro, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben
    Participant
    As a young man with bad acne, I can interject something into the conversation. Does acne matter to girls and women? You bet it does - a lot. For a long time, even though I was in very good shape and rather well-built at 5'11" and 185 lbs, I was ignored by women. I know it wasn't my personality, as I had a number of female friends who liked me a lot, but bad acne is something that's nearly impossible to overcome. I'd been seeing a dermatoligist for years and tried dozens of treatments with little to no success, including the strongest one on the market, Acutane. Fortunately for me, the Internet exists. I met a girl online, and we talked for nearly a year before meeting in person. She fell in love with my personality enough that she didn't mind my looks when we met in person. We've now been together nearly two years and are very happy. I feel incredibly lucky, as I'm not sure I would have met anyone another way. My advice to other guys in a similar situation is keep up hope; I've been there and know how it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

johnny
    Participant
    well i hope it isnt :< , i dont have rele bad acne but there is a bit there , so ya girls does it affect anything ?

User Detail :  

Name : johnny, City : melbourne, State : AR Country : Australia, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.