Is Spanish language taking us over?

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant
    Your question is the same as that of a white person asking, 'Why the hell are Black people taking over McDonald's commercials?'. Spanish-speaking immigrants are a huge population, and earn an enormous amount (in the aggregate) of disposable income that is outside of the normal demographic data flow (i.e., an untapped market). More simply, they have money to spend. People want to sell things to them. It's easier to sell to them in Spanish. On a more personal level, I get much better tips from my spanish-speaking customers than the other waiters at my restraunt, because I can speak some spanish. They appreciate the effort, y me gusta la practica. If you'd like more information about the broader implications of your concerns, google 'reconquista la raza'

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Rythmless, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 28, City : Troy, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : waiter, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Amanda Berrocal
    Participant
    I am Puerto Rican but born and raised in the U.S. The reason that a lot of people do not learn English is because English is the most difficult language to learn due to its many complicated rules and is not offered in every country. Since Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory many learn English in school, but in underdeveloped South American countries it is not always offered and usually immigrants have to wait to get to the united states before they can learn English. Also, this country was founded so that people could be free and that also means that citizens can speak any language they wish. Latinos are the fastes growing minority considering that there are many Spanish speaking countries and Hispanics are also a large percent of consumers and big companies and the goverment are realizeng this. So they offer Spanish to those who may need it. i think maybe you should be a little more tolerant and just deal with it....maybe this is a SPanish language take over....but you should have known that considering that you have had two years of college and i am still high school!!

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda Berrocal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Bristol, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kari22216
    Participant
    Sometimes I can understand why people get angry at 'everything' becoming bilingual but I hate to hear about it most of the time when people say that now you're in america so speak english because english is not the original language of america it was brought over from immigrants like spanish is being now. before english there was over 500 different languages here in the americas.

User Detail :  

Name : Kari22216, Gender : F, Race : American Indian, Age : 17, City : tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, 

BMarler
    YES!The problem is with the government there are too many people overstaying their visa's or just plain legal/illegal immegrants who have no respect for our country or customs.They think that just because they grace us with their presence we should change our ways to suit them.I had to move from my hometown of Miami further north just to find a job where I'm not required to speak spanish.I don't speak spanish nor do I wish to EVER learn it.There are much more beautiful languages out there to learn.

User Detail :  

Name : BMarler, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 34, City : Miami/Middleburg, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : bartender/manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Luca
    Participant
    I live in South Florida, where everyone speaks predominately Spanish. Tell me about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Luca, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Lauderdale Lakes, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Real Estate, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sandra
    Participant
    Well,what do you mean by OUR language? I believe that people who are living in this country should be able to speak the language that they first learned. Another thing that you should pay attention to is that Spanish isin't the only language spoken in this country. Many people who move to this country are trying to look for better opportunities for both themselves and their families and Spanish (or any other language)is the only language they know.People shouldn't just be expected to come to this country already knowing how to speak English. It just wouldn't be fair.

User Detail :  

Name : Sandra, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 22, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student/care giver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bob
    Participant
    Glenda, if you were to go to France to live you would have to learn French since it is the official language of the country. The U.S. does not have an official language. Latinos are the largest growing people of color in the U.S. and so it only makes sense for many reasons including economic reasons to want to reach this population. Fortunately many Latinos do not wish to assimilate into the 'melting pot' and keep their language, culture, and traditions, and surprisingly enough, many of us are multilingual and can speak English. And finally I ask you how much is the government currently spending on the education system in order to ensure that all children are not just monolingual?

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Native American, Age : 32, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Higher Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

christine28941
    Participant
    yeah I am . To me it shows a new emerging social order. look at statistics that focus on the next fifty years, about one forth of the U.S will be hispanic. Since I cannot stop the flow and birth rates of hispanics in this country , all I know is that I have to start taking any kind of spanish class I take very seriously, better job and advancement opportunities in the future.

User Detail :  

Name : christine28941, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : hartford, State : CT Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

J
    Participant
    Hey Glenda, Have u considered WHY spanish people have come to the U.S. Its because they dont have opportunities back home. And by the way, have u ever tried to learn a new language. Its really hard and can feel overwelming. Especially when u have to deal with so many different accents. By the way did u know that the whole western area of the U.S. was once spansh as well as the state of Florida, that was discovered by Spain. So THIS so called 'English' Country was actually once partially Spanish. Moreover, it is a GREAT thing that the U.S. is becoming aware of its Spanish influence FINALLY!!!

User Detail :  

Name : J, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 19, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhea28917
    Participant
    I completely agree with you, Now they want to make it a requirement in our school systems that the children need to take up the language. What is wrong with making them who come into our country to learn our language, English. I don't think we should force our children to learn their language we're not in their country they came to our country. So I say learn English.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhea28917, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Daryl28817
    Participant
    Really refreshing to know you speak Native American fluently since you live here. Too bad that English took over in the early 20th century. Otherwise in the late 1890's you had to press 2 for english! But seriously - yes I am a bit offended - but not much. As humans we are evolving whether we want to or not. Language is also evolving. English too has been corrupted to its present form. The moment it stops evolving - it goes extinct. So it's all good - 'viva la difference!'

User Detail :  

Name : Daryl28817, Gender : Male, Race : Asian, Age : 30, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

AmyM
    Participant
    "Taken over?" Giving people an option on a phone line means being taken over? It is really hard and takes time to learn a new language. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans living in France who know only enough to get by, and the level of language that allows one to buy groceries just doesn't cut it when trying to solve a problem over the phone. Since there are so many of these Americans (and British, and Indians and others) most educated French people speak a fair amount of English. In addition, the language(s) spoken in a country are not determined in advance by some higher authority (except perhaps in rare cases like Israel). A language becomes dominant by convention, and in the U.S. the convention throughout most of history has been to use English. This is due to the fact th

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.