Idolatry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Augustine23549
    Participant
    You are on the right track. Things such as crucifixes, holy water, statues, icons and so on are not viewed as objects of worship in and of themselves; they are not 'God,' and God is not 'in' them. They are viewed by Catholics and many others (Orthodox, conservative Anglicans, etc.) as instruments of divine grace or 'sacramentals.' It is not considered idolatry to venerate or pay respect to them; you are paying respect to what they represent, much as you might kiss a picture of a loved one or hold with reverence an object that belongs to them.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23549, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rob S.
    I know when the word "Idolatry" is used in the Bible, it usually refers to those who believe a God that is in an object. But I also know that it can be used to describe the state of having more priority and compassion in an object (a car, etc.) than your loved ones or even God. But in movies with vampires in them, a Crucifix can keep vampires at a distance or even burn them if it touches them. And the same with Holy Water. Is that Idolatry? Or is it not, because God is not portrayed as being in the Crucifix, just Divine Power, as it was blessed by a Priest, like Holy water is? Holy water is used in Baptisms and Christenings. Or a Crucifix will be touched on the forehead of a person being baptized if water isn't used. Also, there are legends that surround holy objects, such as at Kents Cavern in Devonshire, where there is a rock near a pool of water that looks like the face of a witch. The legend is that two monks were near that pool of water, which is holy water, and a witch came and tried to attack them, and the monks splashed some of the holy water on her, and she turned to stone.

User Detail :  

Name : Rob S., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Poole, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : na, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    In these cases of objects being used, the attachment is not to the object, so you could not speak of the person as 'having other gods before me [God].' The object is not being worshiped, it is being used for a particular purpose. Of course, if God were believed to be in the object, then there is even less problem. In Roman Catholicism and Anglo-Catholicism, the doctrine of transsubstantiation even asserts that the communion bread and wine changes 'substance' into the body and blood of Christ.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Augustine23551
    Participant
    Ben S. makes a very important distinction that I deliberately did not bring up in my prior response. I confined my remarks merely to 'sacramentals.' Traditional Roman Catholics as well as Anglo-Catholics and Orthodox believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, that it is not merely a symbol or representation of Christ. Logically, then, Catholics regard the Eucharistic Host (wafer) as an object of worship in and of itself, because it has ceased to be bread and has become the living Body of Christ. Someone who does not share this belief, of course, looks at this and sees idolatry.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23551, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacey
    Participant
    As you said, often in the Bible images are referred to as things made to honor other gods. However, it is also clear that God does not want to be worshipped through images. For example, Isaiah 42:8 shows that praise is not to be given to images, nor should God's glory be given to anything else. That would include holy water and crucifixes, would it not? If people are putting their trust in these images and things, are they putting trust in God? Apparently not ... not if God commanded in Exodus 20:4 not to make any images and not to make carvings of anything that is anywhere - heaven, earth, water. It seems like it really comes down to one issue: does having an image, be it a cross, rosary beads, etc. agree with what God has asked us? No. the bottom line is that He said not to make any images of anything. The Scripture in Isaiah makes it clear we're to stick with this even if we are wanting to praise God. We are to give that praise to Him and only Him. I wouldn't say the movies themselves are promoting idolatry, because they are just movies. However, belief that holy water keeps away witches and crucifixes can keep away vampires is not in accordance with God's way. It is only whole-souled reliance on God that can help us stay away and get out of trouble.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Angie
    Participant
    What is Rosicrucian?

User Detail :  

Name : Angie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    Some people believe that God resides in crucifixes, etc. Some simply believe His power resides in these objects, and that they thus carry some kind of abilities to protect and so forth. These beliefs are entirely pagan and not based in scripture at all. As a street evangelist, I once made this point by ripping a Bible in half. It is paper, crude matter, will rot someday. Does that mean God's Word will rot? Of course not. Because God's Word is abstract, not material. Crucifixes, amulets, St. Christopher medals, representations of Mary or the saints or other dead people carry no power or ability to accomplish anything. Putting your faith in these material things is a form of idol worship as clearly described in the Bible.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mix of caucasian and Iroquois, Religion : Non-denom. Christian, Age : 30, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, street evangelist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.