I want to act more black

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Zip
    How would I be able to learn to act 'more black' around my black friends?

User Detail :  

Name : Zip, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Italian Canadian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

LT
    Participant
    Zip, if they are your friends, they will accept you for who you are. Why try to act 'more anything' than you are? Also, they might not appreciate you thinking that 'black' is a way to act. I know that I don't appreciate it when people here in the states try to adopt what they perceive to be cultural characteristics of African Americans and think it will bring them closer to me. My culture and history are something that cannot be bought or sold. If you're really interested in learning about the culture of your black friends, why not ask them about some good books to read and study?

User Detail :  

Name : LT, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia31392
    Participant
    Please don't try to 'act black.' I am sure your efforts to mimic your perception of black culture would be offensive and would not be appreciated. Besides, there is no such thing as 'acting black.' The range of behaviors, dress, language and style within the black community is immense. When you say you want to 'act black,' do you mean you want to adopt the hip-hop culture? The militant? The religious? The 'Buppy?' Do you want to emulate black professionals, black athletes, black drug addicts, black entertainers, the black working class, black politicians, black ministers, black activists, black entrepeneurs, black academics...? You see my point? If your friends are truly your friends, they will like and appreciate you for who you are. Don't try to be someone you're not. Try being yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia31392, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Krystall
    Why would you want to act more black? No one can acquire the skills to 'act more black.' Being black isn't having a certain walk, talk, clothing, etc. It's a collaboration of things. Being black is an experience. Instead of trying to be more of something you're not, try learning more about the black culture as a whole. Learn the history, food, art, experiences, music, etc. through books, magazines, classes, films, documentaries and so on. Learning more about black culture is the best way to fit in with your friends. Trying too hard will only make you look foolish, and I am sure that's not what you want.

User Detail :  

Name : Krystall, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black, Spanish, Indian, British and Italian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : broadcasting, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Monika20318
    Participant
    Zip, I understand where you are coming from. When I was around your age I felt the same thing. My friends were black and I often felt like an ass when I walked into clubs. I thought everybody was making pure jokes about me. Now that I'm older, I see that it was just insecurity. The age you're at right now is a very difficult age in the sense that you're still discovering who you are. Trust me on this one, don't try to 'act' in anyway that is not natural to you. If they are really your friends, and the girl you like is worth it, then they will accept you regardless. If they don't then you know that they are not really your friends. And don't mistake good natured jokes about white people as an insult. The best advise I can give you is to have confidence in yourself, whatever you choose to do, do it with confidence and lighten up on yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika20318, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed, Age : 22, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : dancer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

J. I.
    As a white male whose partner is a black female, I've had an opportunity to gain insight into the way whites are viewed by many blacks. Not all of your black friends may actually want you to understand them -- one way black people have survived over the years is by deliberately not letting whites know how they think. But so what? Your friends won't always know what's inside your head, either. I know it's hard when you're 17 to stop worrying about what other people think of you, especially if it's people you find really cool, but nobody, no matter who they are or what they are, is going to have respect for you (admiration, not fear) if you give out the message that you don't think you're cool enough without their approval. When people are friends, they're supposed to meet somewhere in the middle.

User Detail :  

Name : J. I., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 56, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Voiceover, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mark22097
    Participant
    Being black is not an act. Be yourself. They will appreciate you more.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark22097, Gender : M, City : Marrysville, State : CA Country : United States, 

RH30164
    Participant
    I understand what it's like to be close to a group, but not feel like you're on the inside, but 'acting' like someone/something that you're not will not help you get on the inside. If you listen, treat your friends with respect, and just be a part of the group you will be on the inside and it will be on your own terms, not some false 'Act.' Be yourself and people will love you and respect you.

User Detail :  

Name : RH30164, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Syracuse, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.