How does it feel to be a minority?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Megan H.
    Participant
    How has being a minority affected your daily life?

User Detail :  

Name : Megan H., City : Johnson City, State : TN Country : United States, 

Dan W. Jones
    Participant
    Just so you know, you're a minority as well. In the sense of numbers, you might not be. However, in political and social equality, you are. So, think for yourself. How does it feel to be demonized within music? How does it feel to know that you will never make as much as your male counterparts? How does it feel to be a minority?

User Detail :  

Name : Dan W. Jones, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia28769
    Participant
    But I grew up in a reasonably diverse suburban neighbourhood.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia28769, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 27, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Writer/Publicist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Laurie
    Participant
    Book suggestion: Learning to be White by Thendaka. She talked about that question.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Speaking for myself, it has depended on how anti-Semitic people are where I'm living. At various times in my life, I've not had a problem until someone has figured out I have a 'Jewish' last name, then I've suddenly found myself ostracized, 'treated' to mass proselytization, suddenly deemed 'untrustworthy', etc. I (fortunately) have never been attacked physically or that sort of thing, but it has affected me at times.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie20806
    Participant
    Since you don't define the word minority here, I will assume you mean to ask what it feels like to be a black person? Or perhaps how it feels to not be a white person? I have never considered myself a minority in the terms you imply in your question. The term 'minority' refers to demographics regarding .U.S population, not in terms of inferior race, which many Americans believe to be the case. Personally, I am a happy, well adjusted, healthy, American black person with a good job, a secure future, a wonderful spouse and a loving and supportive family, hopefully something you enjoy as well. I am also well educated about the history of Africans in America but never use that knowledge as a crutch or an excuse to hate my country or white American society. In other words, I feel quite normal.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie20806, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 49, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Peter
    Participant
    I attend a majority white university (University of North Florida) and when I first arrived to live on campus as a freshman, I had a sort of culture shock because 8 out of 10 people on campus here are suburban whites coming from a life very different from mine. I'm used to it now, but many so-called minorities aren't affected by this if they live in communities where there are many people who look like them. In this case, you don't even think about the fact that you are of a certain ethnicity and you are only reminded when you are in a multicultural setting.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Araceli
    Participant
    It's bad sometimes because people will automatically assume you want to steal something. I'm Mexican American and there are times when I go to the mall with some white friends and I notice that I'm always the one being followed or asked 'if i need any help with anything'. Then many times people will assume I don't speak English and will try to speak Spanish to me, when I'm fluent in English. It's frustrating at times; people still stereotype. Like if a Hispanic person were to steal something, people say 'oh, he had to be Mexican'.

User Detail :  

Name : Araceli, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dee
    Participant
    This is an interesting question because the answer depends on how one defines the word 'minority'. In America, for example, without question whites represent the majority. However, on a global scale, whites comprise only a third of the human race...the other two-thirds of the planet are people of color. In fact, it wasn't until I traveled outside of America that this fact became more apparent to me. To answer your question though and assuming that you're asking about what it feels like to be a minority in America, I'll be completely honest and say to you that I absolutely love my identity (I'm black). I love black culture, love our history, our appearance, and love the deep and unique kinship that I feel towards other black people. This of course does not mean that I don't love people of other races, etc...because I do. However, what it does mean is that, as an American minority, I've never felt anything other than completely honored and humbled to be a part of a group of people who have demonstrated the strength to persevere in spite of the odds. It feels good to be black, to belong to such a spirited and determined colony of people. Last, on a daily basis and on a more intrinsic level, my life is comprised of the bitter-sweet realization that the trap of racism affects every single person on the planet, including whites. In my lifetime I do not believe that we will completely move beyond racism...but we're making progress. I've always said that 'if others could be flies on the wall when a group of morally, spiritually, physically, and psychologically healthy black people are enjoying the company of one another, what they would see would be a mighty and beautiful unified spirit!' Although many of the 'isms' have taken a toll on American minorities, most of us cherish who we are and are still extremely positive and hopeful. If given the chance, I wouldn't change a thing about my identity. Great question!

User Detail :  

Name : Dee, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

Christine28868
    Participant
    It gets pretty stressfull,sometimes. I realize more often then not the fact that I am black is something that runs through my mind everyday, and the messages are not always positive. It makes me laugh, I cant go a day without the realization that I am Black first ,person second.I do have to bouy my spirits sometimes, but practiacally everyone has to do that. I have very high and lofty goals and have to deal with those realizations I might not meet them if my head is not in the right place or if I dont have a good attitude! I can understand part of why statistics show poor health among most black and minorities, sometimes its mental stress. Daily life, well....I live on a predominantly white college, so I do notice diffrences. Other than that, its pretty sweet.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine28868, Age : 20, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, 

NadyaB
    Participant
    Sociology is one of my passions so I don't define minority like everyone else. Minority refers to someone who may be in the demographic majority but does not hold power. For instance, blacks in South Africa during Apartheid were in the demographical majority but the sociological minority. Numbers don't really matter if you're not the one holding the reins. But onto your question. To me my ethnicity hasn't affected my daily life, because I don't let it. If someone calls me a wetback again I'll probably laugh them off because they're being ignorant. I haven't been harassed by the police yet. However, even though I am Hispanic I wasn't raised speaking Spanish so it makes getting by in the barrio a lot more difficult.

User Detail :  

Name : NadyaB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Bipolar disorder, Race : Swexican, Religion : Gnostic, Age : 22, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.