How do most Muslims treat women?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Fred H.
    I have read that most Muslims in the world deplore the actions of the radical fundamentalists and that they are actually peaceful people. In mainstream Muslim societies and families, are females considered the equal of males in all respects? Does the religion consider women and girls as somehow inferior or less important than boys and men? Is it expected that females would be afforded as much education and opportunities as males?

User Detail :  

Name : Fred H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 72, City : Avon, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

I-Cade
    Participant
    Most religions, cultures and societies consider women less important than men, including Christianity.

User Detail :  

Name : I-Cade, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : graduate, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debra
    Participant
    I appreciate your question. Let me, as a literate, American Muslim, inform you that in no way does Islam oppress women. The religion of Islam is based on the revelation we call Quran. According to the Quran, women are not only to receive equal treatment to men, but in some cases it would seem even better treatment. One of the main problems we have in Islam is the interpretation of the Quran by Arab/Middle Eastern 'scholars' who infuse their cultural backwardness into the religion. Most of the people in the so-called Islamic countries are illiterate - male and female. They depend on a sheik, mullah or religious 'scholar' to tell them what the book says, and they live by that. Illiteracy and Islam can't co-exist. The word Quran derives from a word meaning 'that which is to be studied.' There's so much that can be said on this topic. I suggest you ask some of the 'scholars' who claim that mistreatment of women is a part of Islam whether Muhammad (peace be unto him) ever abused or oppresed women. Ask them what condition the women of Arabia were in before the revelation of Quran and how that changed when Muhammad began to teach the religion. There's a well-known story in Islam of a young man who asked Muhammad whom he should show the most regard for - the Prophet answered, 'your mother.' The young man said, 'and then who?', the Prophet said, 'your mother.' After saying this yet a third time, on the fourth time the Prophet said, 'your father.' The Quran also says that a man who educates two women is destined for paradise (paraphrased).

User Detail :  

Name : Debra, City : nyc, State : NY Country : United States, 

Kent26457
    Participant
    The Quran does not teach violence. The actions of the Taliban and El Queda have as much relation to mainstream Muslims as Adolph Hitler had to mainstream Christians. Both justified atrocities with religious-seeming language. But so did the Christian Crusaders of 1,000 years ago; they mercilessly slaughtered Jews and Muslims who lived in Palestine together peacefully. Most of us do not understand our own religions' foundations in a great prophet whose people interpreted his life within a social context. As the social conditions have changed, so the religions must also change. Those religionists who would try to take the world back only impede the visions of their religion's founders.

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26457, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Anglican, Age : 60, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Patrick
    Participant
    First, you must examine why man created religion. It all makes sense if you think about it. Religion was created to explain what could not be explained otherwise. Even today, we cannot explain everything, and it's doubtful we ever will be able to. It had nothing to do with enslaving women. Women helped plenty with religion, too. It's human nature to want to believe in something greater, and that one does not simply vanish from existence upon death. People tend to cling to antiquated religions for comfort and a sense of purpose. And cut the bull about women being enslaved. Where I'm from, women are treated like goddesses. But I suppose that would just be more oppression. I suppose extremists are needed to obtain a balance in society.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick, Gender : M, Race : Irish, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Los Altos, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Carol-B
    Participant
    Women who take part in religion are idiots. Anybody with a brain can see that religion is a man-made construct. All these 'divine' rules were invented by men to satisfy their base needs, to the detriment of women. It's all bulls***.

User Detail :  

Name : Carol-B, Gender : F, City : Waldorf, State : MD Country : United States, 

Ronald V.
    In most religions of the world, women are deemed inferior. However, Christianity does not look down on women. Jesus spoke with the women, which surprised the disciples. The teaching for women to submit to men comes right after the verse in Ephesians that we are to submit to one another. A man is to love his wife as his own body, caring and nurturing it. Christianity has a higher view of women than most other world views.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald V., Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Susie27505
    Participant
    A few years ago, I met some Muslim girls who were in their last year of high school. This was in Winnipeg. We started talking a little bit about why they chose to wear the hijab (head scarf), and they asked me to remember what I thought about most when I was in school. (I said, guys and being pretty and probably drinking.) They said that for them, wearing the hijab, along with not drinking, being alone with men, etc., had freed them to study. All three of them were planning on medical school, and their grades were a lot higher than mine. They told me they expected to be equal partners to their future husbands, and, unlike lots of Western girls, they seemed straightforward and unambivalent about this. This is all to say that those particular Western Muslim girls (born in Canada) certainly had high standards for themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Susie27505, Gender : F, Age : 34, City : Winnipeg, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : journalist, Social class : Middle class, 

Amber31546
    Participant
    I find it rather amusing that Christians supposedly treat women better than other religions...Sexism is still very prevalent in America today. Though women have it much, MUCH better in the US than many countries, I would say this is due to economic factors, rather than the fact that Christianity is America's most common religion. That said, I have noticed that muslim fathers of some of my girlfriends are extremely protective, insisting on a 'purity' and 'obedience' which they do not expect from my girlfriend's brothers. Having a protective father can be both good and bad but I wonder how anyone can justify having different standards of 'obedience' and 'purity' for their children based on their sex.

User Detail :  

Name : Amber31546, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Barrow, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Public Radio, Social class : Lower class, 

cinnamon
    i think the prime indicator of attitudes to females is the widespread practice of female genital mutilation (excision of labia and clitoris) in moslem socities. with arranged marriages, it can be seen that women are to have no choice, and certainly, no pleasure, that is reserved for the men. numbers? last time i heard in the millions per annum.

User Detail :  

Name : cinnamon, City : glasgow, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

J21425
    Participant
    I am not an idiot, and I do not appreciate being labeled one. I am aware that your vehement accusations are impersonal, but please think before you act. You know no more than any of the religious, and are no more free than I. Everyone searches for answers. Don't attack hope. Hope is all we have.

User Detail :  

Name : J21425, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.