How do blind people cross the street?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jennifer G.
    Participant
    I've seen blind people waiting at intersections to cross the street, but how do they know when to cross?

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer G., Gender : F, City : Maryville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    A lot of cities now have crossing lights with audible cues, and even where these don't exist, there are environmental cues, like a lot of cars stopping, or other people beginning to walk.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Laurie
    Participant
    They listen to the traffic. When there's no traffic coming from the dangerous directions, cross. A sighted person can see a blind person at the crosswalk, and ask, 'Can I help you?' The blind person could say, 'Yes, may I take your arm and you can lead me across.' Note: When assisting a blind person, DO NOT grab their elbow and push them forward. Rather, offer YOUR arm, and let them hold onto it, and walk slightly ahead of them, with you leading.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Laurie
    Participant
    Some blind people listen for the traffic, and when they hear that no cars are coming, they cross.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 
    When someone goes blind (or is born blind), the other senses attempt to compensate for the lack of information that the eyes supply. For example, a blind person can "feel" a wall before they walk into it, whereas someone who is sighted but wearing a blindfold would probably walk right into it. A blind person's sense of hearing is a lot more sensitive than the sighted. They listen for cars coming from the directions of the street they're trying to cross. Some intersections have bells that ring when it's safe to cross. Others have seeing eye dogs that know when to cross.

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.