How can this be?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

KarissaD.
    Why are the elderly, (not all but the ones who have difficulty with driving) who clearly should not be driving still allowed to have a driver's license?

User Detail :  

Name : KarissaD., City : Elizabethton, State : TN Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Because in most states they are such a powerful and screechy voting contingent that legislators are terrified to pass any laws preventing it. In Florida and Arizona, (where senile jag-offs in cars have killed hundreds of people), once you reach 68 or 70 (I forget which), you can no longer just totter in and (barely) pass a vision test to get your license renewed. You have to take and pass the road test every single year, and once you've failed the road test a certain number of times, your license is permanently revoked. Which, incidentally, is how it should be everywhere. I say this with utmost sincerity because two years ago my car was t-boned, and I was nearly killed, by a 92-year-old hag making an illegal left turn in a land-yacht, who admitted to the first cop on scene that she nev

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    It is a problem. My mom (86) and my aunt (89) still have their licenses. It represents their freedom. Neither drives at night and both have cut down on their driving, still ... Older drivers have slower reaction times, and generally have poorer vision and hearing loss. With the increased use of cell phones by drivers and pedestrians not looking where they're going, driving has become even more of a challenge. Personally, I think all drivers should have to take not only the vision test but the driving test every 10 years. If more cities had good, safe public transportation, it might be easier to convince older drivers to give up their keys. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.