Hiroshima and Nagasaki not terrorism?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Participant
    I am a history major and have taken particular interest in Japanese military history. The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not necessary in order for the Allies to win the war, but they were necessary to minimize casualties on both sides. In Okinawa, when U.S. soldiers hit the ground, massive numbers of Japanese civilians, including women hanging onto little children, heaved themselves over cliffs to avoid surrender. This stems from the Bushido culture, which revolves around the Shinto religion, which advocates ancestor worship - meaning that everything you do in this life affects the afterlife of all of your ancestors. So by committing an act of surrender, you not only doom yourself, you doom all of your ancestors for eternity. The United States dropped the atom bombs in order to prove as swiftly as possible that there was no way at that point that Japan could win. Germany and Italy had long since surrendered, so in effect it was Japan vs. the world. The sooner Japanese civilians recognized this, the more lives could be saved. Because these tragedies occurred to save lives, I don't consider them terrorism. No one yet has given me sufficient argument to prove that the bombing of the World Trade Center was done to preserve life, so that constitutes terrorism (until someone explains to me otherwise, which I remain open to).

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DJ
    Participant
    The atomic bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were horrible events in history. However, there was a good reason behind them. By August 1945, Japan had lost the war (the war they started with a treaty-breaking sneak attack). Their resources and manpower were depleted, and their ally Germany had surrendered months before. However, they were unwilling to stop fighting, and U.S. lives were still being lost. It took those atomic bombings, a show of terrible force, to convince Japan to surrender,and bring an end to the war.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended a war that had brought suffering to many. Acts of terrorism are the opposite: they perpetuate and increase suffering.

User Detail :  

Name : DJ, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, 

Karim26782
    Participant
    I don't know why most everyone who responded to my question assumed I was defending bin Laden. The Sept. 11 attacks were a crime. Bin Laden hurt my country in the early '90s more than he hurt yours (if you don't know that, then it's a big problem). Those who assumed I was defending the Palestinians, however, were not wrong. Just as Pearl Harbor drummed it into your minds that you were fighting for survival, the death of 2,000 Palestinian civilians since the start of the new Intifada did the same to Palestinians. But it's important that people understand that most of us in the Mideast didn't cheer on Sept. 11.

User Detail :  

Name : Karim26782, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Arab, Religion : Muslim, Age : 22, City : Cairo, State : NA Country : Egypt, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

BETH23178
    Participant
    LOOK U GUYS HAVE GOOD POINTS BUT ARE LOOKING AT THIS ALL WRONG, WHEN JAPAN HIT THE USA IT HIT A ARMY BASE WHEN WE NUKED JAPAN IT WAS A CITY FULL OF PEOPLE AND NOT AND ARMY BASE. NOT TO SAY WHAT THEY DID IS RIGHT BUT WE WERE JUST AS WRONG IF NOT WORSE. POINT NUMBER TWO IF AND THIS IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN BUT LETS SAY IT DOES, LETS SAY THAT BY MILTARY FORCE A THIRD COUNTRY STARTS KILLING ALL ARABS FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THEY ARE ARABS, NOW THAT THIRD COUNTRY FEELS SORRY FOR WHAT THEY DID AND TRY TO MAKE IT ALL BETTER SO THEY TAKE THE USA BY FORCE AND GIVE IT TO ARABS AND TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BETTER ABOUT TAKING OVER, THEY SAY THE ARABS HAVE A RIGHT TO DO THIS FOR THE QURAN SAYS ITS THE RIGHTFUL PLACE OF ARABS AND OK TO INVADE KILL AND TAKE OVER A COUNTRY FOR ISLAM. WOULD U AS A PERSON WHO LOVES HIS COUNTRY AND DOES NOT BELIEVE IN ISLAM FIGHT TO UR DEATH OR JUST LET THEM WALK IN AND TELL U WHAT TO DO AND WHEN TO DO IT. OR IS THE FACT THAT IT OCCURED 50 YEARS AGO GOING TO MAKE IT OK, HELL NO I FOR ONE WOULD FIGHT TO MY DEATH EVEN IF I HAVE TO DIE IN THE PROCESS IT IS MY COUNTRY AND I WILL FIGHT FOR IT. NOW WHAT DO U THINK PALISTININS FEEL OR ARE THEY NOT HUMANS LIKE U AND ME. ABOUT HUMAN BOMBERS LET ME MAKE MY FINAL POINT WHAT HAPPEND IN THE US ON 9/11 WAS NOT THE SAME AS WHATS GOING ON IN ISREAL TODAY FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THEIR COUNTRY. I THINK THAT IF JEWS HAD THE RESOURCES TO STRAP BOMBS ON AND TAKE A FEW NAZIS WITH THEM BEFORE THE WERE SENT TO THE OVEN THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING FOR UR GOING TO DIE ANYWAYS. IF U DONT AGREE LET ME KNOW WHY. PROUD TO BE AN A AMERICAN AND I WOULD DIE FOR MY COUNTRY WOULD'T U

User Detail :  

Name : BETH23178, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : D TWON, State : NA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Kumonryu26143
    Participant
    The attack on Pearl Harbor was not an unprovoked affront by the evil Japanese, as we are generally taught in our history classes. It was a response to an American oil embargo and other political maneuvers instituted to limit Japan's territorial expansion. Japan had begun to build itself as a military power in response to European colonial expansion and fears that it would be the next nation to be conquered. Ultimately, the Japanese knew they could not win a war against America, nor could they afford to lose. American naval veterans who landed there have told me that the Japanese were already defeated and demoralized before the bombs were dropped. Historians can tell you that Japan was set to surrender on the condition that they be allowed to keep the emperor, to which President Truman agreed, and a 'miscommunication' followed while President Truman was abroad, leading to what appears to be a deliberate excuse to use atomic weapons. Remember, it had been known that Russia was on the verge of atomic technology and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were more for the purpose of entering the Cold War than for defeating a nation that was already defeated.

User Detail :  

Name : Kumonryu26143, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 27, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Charles32269
    Participant
    First I want to say I don't condone any terror assault on a quid pro quo basis, e.g., 'they bombed Pearl Harbor, we nuked them, all points even.' However, someone brought up the Japanese war efforts in China, by which I take it they mean the Rape of Nanking. What I want to bring up is that at least Americans are *debating* the morality of the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings sixty years later. It is my understanding that remarkably few Japanese today have even heard of the Rape of Nanking. Is this true? And if so, what does it signify?

User Detail :  

Name : Charles32269, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

me21875
    Participant
    The Japanese were willing to surrender on the condition of retaining their emperor. Then the atomic bombs were dropped. After the atomic bombs, Japan was allowed to retain it's emperor anyways.

User Detail :  

Name : me21875, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 15, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, 

Tim
    Participant
    An interesting fact is that suicide bombing is seen in nature. In asia there is a species of Ant that has a soldier that when outnumbered will explode releasing a toxin that kills other ants. Interesting isn't it?

User Detail :  

Name : Tim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Bothell, State : WA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

L M
    Surely just the one bomb would have been sufficient. I believe another reason was that it would be the only chance for scientists to be able to test atomic weapons on a real life sample of people. Very callous.

User Detail :  

Name : L M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Singapore, State : NA Country : Singapore, Occupation : TV Producer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

TOM PETILLO
    Participant
    The dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan in 1945 were unnecessary, interesting. The bombings prove your theory is incorrect. 1]Japan is warned of a super weapon, Japan does nothing. 2] First bomb is dropped, over 100,000 dead, even more exposed to radiation poisoning, Japan does nothing. Three days later, 3] Second bomb dropped same result as the first, Japan does nothing. Ten days after the second bombing Japan finally surrenders. Yet you claim the bombings weren't necessary. Why didn't Japan surrender after the first bomb, if they were on the verge of quitting anyway. It took Japan almost two weeks from the first bombing to surrender. Let me get this straight, two atomic bombs did not get an immediate surrender but a military invasion would of had minimal casualties. WOW! Please show me your historicl reference to your point that Truman vetoed all of his generals. If the bombings were racist, what do you call The Rape of Nan King, The Battaan Death March, The Comfort Women, the invasion of South East Asia starting in the 30's. Japan was not the Victim but the Aggressor. Don't think for a minute that Japan would not have used the bomb on the U.S. if they would have created it first. 'Operation Cherry Blossom' September 1945, Japan planned on dropping biological weapons along the major cities of the west coast. Does'nt sound like a country on the verge of surrendering to me.

User Detail :  

Name : TOM PETILLO, Gender : Male, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : TAMPA, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.