Hair grease

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tiffany24567
    Participant
    Why do black people have to grease their hair?

User Detail :  

Name : Tiffany24567, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : McKeey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Sara28347
    Participant
    African-American hair tends to have fewer natural oils and is very susceptible to breakage. Also, the heat and chemicals used to straighten the hair tends to damage it and cause further drying putting oil and conditioners on the hair helps to protect it and keep it from breaking.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28347, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

annonymous
    Participant
    In general, black hair is dry. This is partly due to styling and applying heat, but even in its natural state, our hair follicles do not produce the amount of oil you associate with your own hair. Of course, there are variations among individuals, regardless of race. Some blacks have oilier hair and shampoo daily or frequently during the week. Others, like myself, only shampoo every few weeks. Yes, I only shampoo once a month if that. I do oil my hair with a liquid oil. I wear locks and apply oil only to my locks, careful to apply only small amounts to my scalp. This reduces the amount of buildup and excess dirt. My eldest child relaxes her hair, and uses hair oil more frequently. Oiling the hair and scalp makes the hair manageable, gives it a nice sheen, reduces breakage due to dryness and reduces flaking from a dry scalp. I use Kemi oil. It also perfumes my hair nicely.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Leslie22891
    Participant
    Thanks for answering something I've always wondered about and could never ask!

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie22891, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Topeka, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandi
    Participant
    For the same reasons one uses body lotion: to moisturize, smooth and enhance general appearance.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

RG30359
    Participant
    It's because our hair is dry. We have to replace the oil and moisture lost due to washing, contact with the sun, etc. Also, it makes our hair more manageable (at least, it makes MY hair more manageable).

User Detail :  

Name : RG30359, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Summer27755
    Participant
    Black folks grease their hair because there are a lot of crappy hair care products marketed toward Afro-textured hair promising faster growth and softness. These products are full of petroleum-based products that never penetrate the hair. It just makes it greasy, and in turn, dirtier faster. These products aren't usually made by black people or people who have knowledge of black hair. Black women do a lot of things to their hair to keep it straight or make it grow (they think). The greasing of hair probably started when we started using hot combs to straighten our hair. The grease was probably used as a protectant from the severe heat of the hotcomb, and one could achieve straighter results. The grease also helped keep the hair from reverting to its natural texture. Our scalps produce as much oil as any other race, but because of the porous, coarse and coily texture typical of our hair, the oil does not travel down the length of our hair like other people, which is why we don't have to wash so often. Now that I wear my hair natural, I wash everyday or every other day, but when it was relaxed I washed once or twice a week. Black women are starting to get smarter with their product purchases, leaning toward more natural oils that the hair can absorb, not some greasy coating.

User Detail :  

Name : Summer27755, Age : 24, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Tony
    Black people grease their hair because we have very dry hair, due to the fact that the hair shaft is flat and does not retain moisture as easily. As a white person, your hair shaft is normally round and retains moisture. Everyone's head secretes oil to keep the hair and scalp moist. Most white people do not like to have oil in their hair, whereas black people need to keep the scalp oiled to keep the hair from becoming brittle and breaking off when combing, styling, getting straightening/perms, etc. Both items are a matter of culture as well as need, and you will find according to where you are in this country, as well as around the world, that culture plays a great part in how a person manages his or her hair. In some cultures, hair is extremely important, and it is a big part of their identity, whereas in other cultures hair is of little value. You will also find that white people will wash their hair every day, whereas black people will wash their hair once or twice a week. To get a better idea, just take a trip to black hair salon and tell them you are doing a report on hair. They will be more than happy to answer all your questions.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 45, City : CINCINNATI, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : MANUF 'G, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kimberly26388
    Participant
    Contrary to popular myth it isn't a must for African Americans to oil their hair or scalp. I too asked a similar question regarding hair washing and you should read all the responses laced with attitude. It is cultural more than anything else. The older generation of Blacks swear by the hair oil, claiming that it is necessary for hair health and growth. Notice the length of most Black women, usually short, right? In my culture we wash our hair regularly. My hair is slightly above my waist.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberly26388, Religion : Muslim, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : housewife, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.