Giving alcohol to children

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

dersk25700
    Participant
    I've got lots of Irish buddies who were given a tablespoon of Guinness every day since they were toddlers. Granted, a lot of them are kinda pale and weedy, but that's not so exceptional in a country that gets about fifteen minutes of sunshine a year. (: I'd say it's not a big deal; if you teach your children a responsible attitude towards alcohol rather than demonise it you'll probably have fewer issues. Refined sugar is causing a lot more damage to American youth these days, anyway. Reminds me of the drugs policy here in Holland - essentially, marijuana's been decriminalised. Some American official came over here and lectured us on how we need to update our drug laws (I'm saying us even though I'm an American), the EU is frothing at the mouth, BUT the usage and addiction rates for both weed and hard drugs are a lot lower in Holland than in the US or in the surrounding EU countries. Say what you want; I'll go with the practical solution any day.

User Detail :  

Name : dersk25700, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : amsterdam, State : NA Country : The Netherlands, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Monika
    Participant
    Between the ages of 5 and 12, my grandmother used to give us kids a hot toddy made from moonshine when we were sick. Talk about toasted! But when I woke up that next morning, I had nary a sniffle. As a matter of fact, I absolutely swear by hot toddies today! It's the only thing that got rid of my flu two years ago. Of course, I don't think that kids should be drunk, however, getting them a little toasted when they're sick is ok.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Applications Development, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave26035
    Participant
    I think the best approach is to let kids have a TASTE--just a taste--as soon as they are curious about it. If that's three years old, so be it. Most small children will have one small sip of beer and not want to try again for a long time. As for realling having a small glass of wine or something (not enought to give a buzz), 10 is not too early. Regardless, I fortunately grew up in a home where alcohol was de-mystified and not at all taboo. The first time I got really buzzed, it was at a family reunion and I was about 13. I drank relatively frequently from the time I was 15 or 16. The net result is that I went away to college much better able to handle my alcohol, know my limits, etc.--after having had drinks with, or before coming home to, my parents, for several years. I think the European model is so much better than the American one in this regard.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26035, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jenny
    Participant
    I live in culture that drinking part of doing business. Drinking during business meetings was inevitable. Therefore able to stay conscious during business negotiation is the key to successful business. My family allowed us to have some alcohol when we were very little. I don't recall we were ever band from drinking alcohol. I remember my first sip of beer was at the age 5. They believed that by allowing us to drink it took away the mystery out of alcohol and we were able to know where our limits so we won't drink ourselves to intoxication. It also increases our body's ability to consume alcohol. My parents trusted us when we were out with friends partying because they believe that we are capable of making right decision. I think starting at an early age is okay as long as the quantity of alcohol was controlled. Allowing children to understand alcohol at younger age may be the best way to teach them about drinking. Children who had gotten drunk with a parents will understand what alcohol will do to them so they are more capable making the right decision and be responsible when it came to alcohol. Although I won't make the same suggestion if there are member in the family that had history of intoxication, it may have negative influence to the children. The main idea is to teach children how to handle alcohol healthily and responsibly

User Detail :  

Name : Jenny, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : Sunny Isles, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

mike
    Participant
    no, please don't allow your children to drink any alcohol. it could become very dangerous for young boys and girls. the after math might cause your children to commit a crime or drive under the infl. or even jump off the roof. dont risk that to happen. 'thank you

User Detail :  

Name : mike, Gender : M, Religion : Methodist, Age : 36, City : houston-, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : officer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Meg21922
    Participant
    Girls during puberty should not drink alcohol since it can disrupt important changes since it has an effect on their hormones.

User Detail :  

Name : Meg21922, Age : 21, City : G'ville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Tim24581
    Participant
    As the parent of a young teenage girl, this is one of my concerns. I'm the type that believes that education and experience, with parental supervision, of course, is the best way to raise a kid to be a healthy, happy person. In that vein, I offer my daughter a 'sip' of whatever adult beverage she cares to try, but only in private settings. (She hates most so far.) Those that she likes, she's allowed to drink in moderation (again, at home). At some point in the near future, maybe the next 3 years, we're going to find something she likes, feed her, and let her drink until she feels 'tipsy' and then 'drunk', carefully monitoring it the whole way. Why? Because I want her to understand how much alcohol it takes to get to both points, so she doesn't wind up at some party somewhere at 16 or 17 dead from alcohol poisoning, because she didn't understand that 151-proof Bacardi packed too much of a punch for her.

User Detail :  

Name : Tim24581, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Chesterfield, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann
    Participant
    I think it has less to do with age and more to do with maturity level. Curiousity is okay, but be wary with eagerness. A taste could be okay if they are curious, and perhaps a small diluted amount (not a full serving) during a family celebration that is supervised, but no, it's a terrible idea if they get drunk. However, if there is a family history of alcoholism or depression, I'd avoid giving alcohol altogether. Demonizing and forbidding alcohol will just give it the allure of forbidden fruit. Discuss it seriously and don't avoid uncomfortable questions. You cannot control a child from doing what they want; only influence their decisions. The best way is if they respect your opinions when forming their own.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Keith26539
    Participant
    From my experience, growing up alcohol was always a part of family life. It was there and accessible and therefore never a taboo as long as there was supervision. I feel that a majority of problems insociety about underage drinking is that these individuals are doing something that they are not supposed to do. I never had that thrill. I have kept this ideal with my own children to a point, even though I don't keep my liquor cabinet nearly as well stocked as my parents did, (and don't care to). If my children wanted to join me in a beer or drink they are welcome as long as I set limits and they are staying here. As far as letting them get drunk, not until they are mid to late teen, A hangover can be a very influentual learning tool as it was for me, one was enough. By removing the drinking taboo in my home my children (ages 13 and 16) have no desire to drink which is wonderful in my eyes, some family traditions need not live on forever.

User Detail :  

Name : Keith26539, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Philip30415
    Participant
    My Dad is in the military and for 5 years we lived in Germany. It is quite common to see children drinking wine or beer in public. I think that is the reason why you don't see to much alcoholism over there. If you take the mystery out of something and teach responsibilty with it, then the negatives will be decreased. While in Germany my friends and I would get alcohol and drink it until we were drunk yes, but very rarely and most of time for a birthday party or something. Once returning to the States my new friends were just being introduced to alcohol in later years of high school and abused it like crazy. Instead of drinking it on special events, they would drink it every weekend and to the point where they would be extremely intoxicated and try to drink and drive. Teach responsibilty with alcohol at a younger age, don't keep it some big mystery with the ability to be a 'drug' later on in life.

User Detail :  

Name : Philip30415, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 22, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    I was raised in a German family where alcohol was not a big issue. I remember my great grandmother using Peppermint Schnapps to soothe my sore throats from about the time I was 10 years old. I had beer as a little girl, spiked egg nog at Christmas, and I don't think I'm the worse for wear because of it. Alcohol was demystified for me. I wasn't one of the teenagers getting drunk and getting into accidents in high school. If I wanted to drink, I was welcome to do so at home. Have I been drunk? Sure. Do I have a drinking problem because of my exposure to alcohol at a young age? No. I have an appreciation for it and that interest has spread into a career / hobby in the wine trade.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 31, City : Vermilion County, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : IT Professional / Sommelier, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

laura26050
    Participant
    i actually just had 2 glasses of wine with dinner last nite, but hey, it was christmas, and with lots of food and family. my family's dominican, and alcohol isnt a mystery to me. It's not crack people.

User Detail :  

Name : laura26050, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 16, City : charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bill23246
    Participant
    I don't drink today because I saw how my parents behaved when they used alcohol. I think using alcohol in moderation is relying on chemicals to feel a certain way. I think using alcohol excessively is inconsiderate to others. I think drinking alone... well that goes without saying. I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Alcohol is everywhere and there's a perception that one must get drunk to celebrate or party. In teenagers, there's a perception that you must get drunk or drink to be cool and when you get older, if you haven't acquired a taste for wine, then you might have trouble when dining out with others. Being buzzed is fun, but being thin and not having a beer belly outweights all of that fun and clean up! Why not just tell your kids flat out there are all these perceptions and there is a downside to using it. You might let them taste some when you are explaining this and help them determine if drinking is right for them. Maybe it would be best if you just get them hooked on Mr. Pibb instead. I drank socially in college, I don't drink anymore and I'm glad because I'm liable to abuse it.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill23246, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, 

Christine32084
    Participant
    Personally, I would never give alcohol to children. I don't even drink it myself (I don't believe all this hype that drinking is supposedly good for you - the same thing was said years ago about smoking). And to let them get DRUNK?! I would consider that a form of child abuse. It's disgusting enough when adults do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine32084, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jami
    My parents weren't ok with me drinking, butmy cousin and her friend introduced it to me at 16. I'd never done anything to disobey my parents before, so it was a rush to start, so I did it more and more. My cousin didn't think it was a big deal because her mom let her drink when she was 15. All these people who are saying NEVER let them before 21 are giving rebelious teenagers a reason to drink. As teenagers, we want to rebel, and drinking is a way to do that if you make alcohol an unspoken taboo. Its like saying DON'T HAVE SEX...people are going to wonder what the big deal is, and they'll experiment.

User Detail :  

Name : Jami, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Pullman, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.