Getting older people off the roads

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

SW
    Participant
    Do most older people feel it's wrong for society to ask them not to drive?

User Detail :  

Name : SW, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 20, City : johnson city, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mike28561
    Participant
    I think this country has low driving standards, but bad drivers can be any age, so I think that it would be unfair to ask older people not to drive.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike28561, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Jen R.
    Participant
    I don't think that they would feel that it's wrong. They just don't want to give up that one last bit of freedom they have. I do think that after the age of 65, a mandatory annual driver's test should be in order. There are plenty of older people who cause accidents. I work in a hospital and have to treat them. They say it's the younger generation that doesn't know how to drive. I've had several near misses with older people simply because they can't see over the steering wheel of their mammoth-sized Caddies.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen R., Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Greenfield, State : PA Country : United States, 

John28932
    Participant
    I think it more about they want to be able to do something for themselves. I know with my grandmother she doesn't drive that much but if it is just through the drive through bankteller she feels like she has done a lot. I don't think they should be driving, though

User Detail :  

Name : John28932, City : Salem, State : VA Country : United States, 

Nick28887
    Participant
    I think that all old people should be required to re-take a special license test at the age of 65. The test should check eyesight, hearing and basic motor skills. Doing this would cause a big change on the streets.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick28887, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Cromwell, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

QTCaliGurl
    I think the DMV should require EVERYONE to retake the driving test after a certain amount of time, maybe every 5 years. Just because you turn 65 does not automatically make you a nuisance on the streets. My grandpa is 75 and he drives better than a lot of people I know. Also, you're only 17, so considering the fact that you have been driving for a maximum of two whole years, you probably don't have the best clues on "good" driving. Older citizens may cause problems on the road due to hearing or vision loss, which naturally come with age, but you could be a problem on the road due to your inexperience behind the wheel.

User Detail :  

Name : QTCaliGurl, City : The Valley, State : CA Country : United States, 

Anne
    Participant
    Many of the residents where I work recognize that it's best for their own safety and others, so they gave up their car keys long ago. A few more are really dreading the day when they can't drive anymore- they view it as a freedom issue. Either way, improving public transportation (paratransit and regular) would really help to increase freedom options and remind seniors that they can still have full lives without a car.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I live with two elderly folks. My grandmother is 62 and her boyfriend is 79. While my grandmother is a decent driver, her boyfriend is absolutely terrible. He speeds, flips the bird and goes on a tirade if he's cut off on the highway, and just generally does the opposite of what's appropriate in a given situation. He's had one big stroke and several ministrokes, as well as Angina (A heart condition), and his reflexes are not what they used to be. He is a danger to everybody on the road, and he knows it. But he still feels it's his right to be on the road.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    Older drivers see their cars as a symbol of independence (as the rest of us do). If they are honest with themselves, they can be convinced of the safety issues by their doctors. With an 86 y.o. mother who's just been strongly advised not to drive by 2 doctors, it's difficult psychologically because it will require some changes in her routine. We haven't taken away her keys, though one of the doctors was willing to sign the legal papers for that, but we've convinced her it's unsafe to her and others for her to be driving. I've also looked into other options for her transportation that have made this decision a little easier. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.