General

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Joe
    Participant
    Why must we debate it at all? So I labeled myself Atheist under the optional information. Sure, I do not believe in any high power or entity, I believe in what I see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears. I was raised in a strict Christian family, just chose not to subscribe to it after a while. Countless Christians who wanted to debate with me were shocked to find out I knew their religion better than they do. However I do not belong to any group, church, organization or society, it's an individual basis. So take the Atheism, stir in some Humanism, sprinkle on Scientology, bake at 98.6 degrees for 9 months, and I am born. I've noticed there's a lot of discussion on this board pertaining to why this and why that directed at other religions; I respect all religions (except Star Trek), I believe there is so many beliefs that noone knows what the real 'truth' is. A personal belief of mine is that all priest(ess), pastors, gurus, heads, should wear a t-shirt with a slogan stating 'The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect that of my god.' One of my strongest stand points is that ones own religion should come from their own personal thoughts and feelings, so, to me in essence, showing disrespect towards another religion, or attempting to impose your beliefs on another, is essentially the same as saying sure, you may care for their eternal soul, but you have no respect for their thoughts and feelings as a person. Respect is a mutal thing, you must give it to get it. Often I am asked 'why do I hate god?' The answer is simply I don't hate your god, or love him/her/it, it's impossible to show emotions towards something you don't believe in. Far too often I hear the phrase 'I am right and you are wrong.' Now, with the aforementioned statement about how much belief we have, upon getting a 50/50 statement such as this one, with no elaboration as to why they're right and I am wrong, I'll take my chances in believing they have a more substantial risk in being wrong. The least I'll do, or they can do, is have some proof, or at least a bit of logic. So pick whatever suits your needs, God, the devil, Allah, Buddha, lucky rabbit foot, whatever, and get on with your life. To quote George Carlin, 'so long as thou keep thy religion to thyself.' Can I get an amen?

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.