France is like…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Heather H.
    What are people in France like? What kind of customs and courtesies are there in France, such as greetings, visiting, eating, gestures, personal appearance, group meetings, traveling and communicating interpersonally?

User Detail :  

Name : Heather H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : W. Jefferson, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Full-time student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ken
    I've traveled to France four times over the past 10 years, and I have always found them to be generally friendly, curious about America and generous with their time. This is especially true in the countryside. Paris is a large city where you are more likely to be treated rudely, like you would be in a large U.S. city. The older French people still have fond memories of American GIs liberating their country. The younger folks are intrigued by American music and films.

User Detail :  

Name : Ken, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 47, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann-H
    Participant
    Greetings are important in France. People would never dream of walking into a store and beginning to shop without greeting the clerk or staff. And one doesn't just say, 'Hi.' Everyone does this little ritual of greeting - it's really quite elegant. You'd say, 'Bonjour Madam' (always addressing a person with his or her title). If you do this, the French are so pleased (because they don't expect it from Americans) - they just light up. Even if you can't say another word of French, just use sign language - but add s'il vous plaît - that's 'Please' - and 'Merci, Madame.' You see: You don't just say 'thanks,' - you say, 'Thank you, Ma'am.' That much I can say with confidence. There's a lot more going on in French culture that is outside my experience.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann-H, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40s, City : Chisago City, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Communicaton, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.