First name/last name

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

John A.
    Participant
    When did Americans begin to call each other by their first names, so that today the military seems to be the one place last names are used exclusively? I know that TV shows from the '50s and early '60s show characters using first names only when speaking to longtime friends. Now when somebody calls me by my last name, it seems jarring in its unexpectedness.

User Detail :  

Name : John A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Augustine23610
    Participant
    Until a few years ago, I never gave it a second thought to call someone near my own age or younger by their first name. Then, two things happened: I moved to South Carolina and I started reflecting on my own age. I also worked in retail where you have a large age range of customers. I found this to be the best policy: address anyone you don't know by courtesy title and last name, unless it is a pre-teenager. Then they will let you know, one way or another, that they prefer to be called by their first name. This way you never commit the solecism of crossing the line and calling someone by their first name when they prefer to be addressed more formally. It's just a matter of respect. Also, when I lived in Washington, D.C. for several years, I noticed that young unmarried people generally went by only their first names, even in the same apartment building or in an office setting. In South Carolina, generally speaking, people introduce themselves by first and last name, which seems normal to me, but in Washington, everything is first-name-only. I literally had neighbors and worked with people who did not remember my last name (it's a simple one) even after I'd introduced myself with my full name! I wonder if this is because many people have ethnic-sounding surnames that are hard for others to spell or pronounce. Can anyone help me figure out why Washington is like that? Is this common in larger cities?

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23610, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Janet20964
    Participant
    Excellent question. In my generational cohort, last names are considered too formal. I have had friends who's last names I never knew, even if I had known them for years. In my last job, even the corporate veeps were known by first names only; its seen as a sign of closeness and egalitarianism. If someone asks for my last name, I feel its none of their business. On the other hand, my mother usually tells anyone who asks that her first name is Mrs. as she feels that her first name is too personal. Im 32 and she's 57, so it must have changed with the boomers.

User Detail :  

Name : Janet20964, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : Ft. Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kim
    i had a rare teacher or two that'd call me my last name.. and i really liked it.. because it was so different and 'traditional'.. i felt more respected too for some reason.. hmm.. i never really thought about it this much till now.. thanks : )

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary, Social class : Middle class, 

Kali26983
    Participant
    I ran into the last name identity a lot in high school. Especially coaches tended to call us by our last names. Several teachers would use this as well. It wasn't all the time, but it did happen. I think this was maybe to distinguish between all the Ashleys and Jessicas that seemed to be in every classroom. I think the TV show reference could be due to the fact that people were more formal then than they are today. Now people try to be friendlier and using a person's first name is a trick most of those in the business world use to build trust with their clients. On a side note, I should think that as a teacher, you might be used to your last name being used quite often, perhaps daily. I find it very hard to believe that it should be at all 'jarring.'

User Detail :  

Name : Kali26983, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Becky23305
    Participant
    I think it has to do with the way people were brought up. I always call people 'Mr. Smith' or 'Mrs. Jones' as the case may be, because my parents taught me to do that, and to always do it unless the person says, 'Please, call me John.' For me it is all about respect.

User Detail :  

Name : Becky23305, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Brooklyn Park, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Finance, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    I cant vouch for the 70's and beyond, but as long as I've been around, since 1981, it's always been like that. As you pointed out, last names get used a lot in military, also, I had P.E. coaches in high school, past and present employers etc who would on occasion call someone by their last name, if to them it seemed more fitting, the reason being: they were ex-military. So, before it bothers you too much, did you ever ask anyone that called you by your last name if either they were ex-military or had a strong military influence in their life? The only other thing I can think of is John is a very common name, they may be trying to differentiate.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
    Since I went to a military academy for a while, I found out that the main reason why that is continued is because so many people have common names. You call out 'John' for morning roll, and four of them will pipe up. But when you call out 'Laughlin' only one will, or rarely two. (never seen that happen before)

User Detail :  

Name : Ian Laughlin, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Palmer, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Jim-B30687
    Participant
    The reason the military uses last names is that in a squad, there could be 15 Johns, 4 jacks, 9 Erics.....etc. It is easier to commmunicate with the right person if they know it is them you are speaking to

User Detail :  

Name : Jim-B30687, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 45, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.