Fanga nails

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tony
    I am trying to understand the use of fake fingernails, and why so many women now wear them. It seems to be mainly with black women, then Latino women, now white women. I have yet to see fake nails that did not look fake. I thought the purpose of wearing something fake was to make it look real, and not wear something that ugly. Fake nails do not look real. Why wear them?

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 45, City : CINCINNATI, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : MANUF 'G, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lucy-H22659
    Participant
    The popularity of fake nails comes and goes just like all fashion trends. And just like all fashion trends, some people think they look good, and others don't see the point. I have fake nails, and since I maintain them, they always look good. And of course you think that you have never seen any fake nails that did not look fake because when you saw them, you thought they were real.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22659, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tony
    Unfortunately a lot of women I have seen, just do not take good care of those fake nail, and as they grow away from the cuticle, they begin to look even worse. I would just imagine women would want their hands to look their best, while wearing fake nails. To the ladies wearing the very long FAKE NAILS,and the ladies who chew on them, that has to be very unsantitary. There are a lot of health alerts over the use of FAKE NAILS. PLEASE BEWARE, and TAKE CAUTIOUS !!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 45, City : CINCINNATI, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : MANUF 'G, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

L-Henry
    Participant
    I too have seen my share of fake nails, and some of them look ridiculously long. However, some girls like the fake nails because they are easier to maintain and harder to chew on. (I tend to chew on my nails.) Plus, sometimes fake nails help girls feel that their fingers look more elegant and graceful, which is why some girls wear them.

User Detail :  

Name : L-Henry, Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Steamboat Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

betsy-m
    Participant
    Fake nails have been a trend for the past 10-15 years. I don't wear them myself, but I teach at a small college in Central NY, and have observed that about half of my (female) students wear acrylic nails and/or get manicures. I think it represents a certain level of 'finish' to these students, even if they are otherwise wearing jeans and no makeup. Many working women consider manicures/fake nails part of their overall professional appearance.

User Detail :  

Name : betsy-m, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : cazenovia, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : college professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

porky30242
    Participant
    To some extent fake nails, like 'Big Hair' are a status symbol. We are inclined to think that women who wear these symbols have time and money to devote to them, and that they do not have to do work which might 'mess them up'. Why did men wear white shirts, ties, polished shoes. Or women with tiny feet or hobble skirts. It's STYLE !!

User Detail :  

Name : porky30242, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 60+, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

annonymous
    Participant
    Tony: I'm with you on this one. Sorry, Lucy. Even the most well-manicured and professional acrylics are readily identifiable. First of the uniformity of the shape, length and density of the nails are a clear indication that the nails are not real. Acrylics in particular have a distintive density to them that do not grow naturally. And just like synthic hair holds up better in braided styles so does air brushing and other nail designs wear longer on fake nails. In my 20's I went through a phase when I donned fake nails. They were relatively new on the scene and it was a definite status symbol for urban women to wear. It said, 'Yes I do pamper myself and I can afford it.' It was a relatively short-lived phase because I also happened to be quite serious about bodybuilding, too. While many female bodybuilders wore these nails to increase their feminine image, I found the nails to be too high maintainance and cumbersome. I couldn't use my favorite gripping style and the cost dipped into funds that could have been used for training sessions, clothing, or other related athletic items. I have had nail technicians comment how beautiful and healthy my natural nails are. My aunt urged me to maintain my nails because men would find them attractive and elegant. Men have complimented me often for wearing my natural nails. Overwhelmingly, I have been told they prefer them to acrylics.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.