Egg donation and the rich

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Participant
    I'd like to know what people think about someone donating eggs. Do you think it's wrong to do because there are already children out there who want to be adopted? My father said I'd just be helping out the 'rich' if I did this, and that it would be wrong. He thinks that just because someone can 'buy' eggs doesn't make it OK for them to look past all the kids in orphanages. I am a very moral person. I don't drink or smoke. I'm really doing it solely for the money, but I know it will help someone. Also, isn't it kind of unfair to bash the rich just because they are able to do something like this?

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Amy31604
    Participant
    It can't be any more wrong than sperm donation. I would, however, worry that your children would marry and have kids with their half-siblings.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy31604, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Charleston, State : WV Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy-H22685
    Participant
    Your question is really about two different issues. One is the donation of eggs, and the other is the selling of eggs. The idea of selling body parts in general bothers me. I have seen advertisments from people willing to pay more than $300,000 for eggs from the right 'donor,' i.e. blond and blue, tall, high IQ, etc. It's as if the people are trying to create the 'perfect' child, and nothing less is good enough for them. I would never presume to tell another person how to spend their money, but I think about how much that same $300,000 could accomplish if put to some other use than to buy eggs - especially when there are other options for having a child. Is the selling of eggs any different than selling a kidney on eBay? On the other hand, I think that donation is perfectly OK. Eggs fall into a category similar to organ donation.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22685, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M.K.
    Participant
    There is something wrong with artificially assisted parenthood in the face of needy orphans. But you're not doing that, you're just (thinking of) cashing in on someone else's lax morals. This is also wrong, but on a far lesser scale - we do something similar every time we buy, say, clothes made in a less-developed nation whose labor standards would be unnacceptable in the fortunate West. So yes, maybe it's a bit wrong - but so is not grabbing every opportunity to better your life. Like most moral choices, there is no clear-cut answer.

User Detail :  

Name : M.K., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Technical School, 

Gabriel21756
    Participant
    If the female doesn't make healthy eggs, of course adoption or receiving an egg are their only choice. If your concern is whether you will be affecting the morals of somebody else, forget about it. Rich and poor people adopt, and I'm sure rich and poor alike can buy eggs if they are cheap enough.

User Detail :  

Name : Gabriel21756, Gender : M, Age : 22, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : clerk, 

Marie22258
    Participant
    Dear Possible Future Egg Donor, I have a feeling that whether or not you make your own eggs available, people will purchase them anyway from you or another person, for the same reasons they go to sperm banks. They can pick and choose the color, IQ and other options. It's the same as those who prefer to purchase a breeded puppy or kitten: possibly a feeling of control over what they are doing. I am not against this but am a strong supporter of 'regular' adoption (all my pets have come from the shelter). On the other hand, there have been so many wonderful people who had been adopted. Scott Hamilton, one of my heros, is an adopted child. I think this is such a personal choice for you and them. The other thing that comes to mind is how you might feel after the donation. Where and who is your baby? Can you live with that? Maybe you might want to communicate with some sperm donors first and see how they feel years after they donated. There are a ton of other ways to get cash.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie22258, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather J.
    I don't think there is anything morally wrong with donating eggs. Some people have to have a baby that they give birth to. Personally, I don't. My husband and I have not been able to get pregnant and are looking into adoption, but many of the children available are troubled, and I question whether I can deal with their behavior problems. Many people may not be able to emotionally handle a child who has been abused or neglected, so starting with a baby may be the best option for them, and there are a shortage of healthy newborns to adopt.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather J., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Provo, State : UT Country : United States, Occupation : publishing, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kerrie26487
    Participant
    Please don't donate your eggs. You'll regret it for the rest of your life!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Kerrie26487, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Media Relations Representative, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.