Effect of the web on journalists

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Evelyn H.
    Participant
    To journalists: How has the Internet affected your career and/or industry? What will future journalists in your field need to do differently as far as training and education are concerned? Where do you see the future of your field in the hands of the Internet? And does it make you nervous?

User Detail :  

Name : Evelyn H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I've worked for newspapers for 15 years, and the main effect of the Internet is to give journalists more options: More places to work and, for those of us who want to stay in newspapers, more sources of information and people. It's been a terrific tool. In my daily job, the only difference is that I might write an earlier version of a story for our web site on a breaking story before I do one for the next day's paper. I'm not sure that future journalists will need any different training. The same rules apply with information from the Internet as from any other source - beware of the motivation behind what you find, make sure it's accurate and doublecheck what you can. As far as I'm concerned, the Internet is nothing but a blessing for journalism. The more information outlets, the better.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brian23030
    Participant
    The Internet is changing journalism just as writing changed oral societies, radio changed print media, television changed radio, etc. I don't feel nervous regarding newspapers, television or any other form of medium, because the fact is, we all end up working in circles and this is just one more ring. Man bites dog in Podunk, USA, where the little newspaper picks it up, it hits a wire, it goes on television, radio, the Internet, etc. You could replace any one of those mediums in the order and it would be the same. Also, as long as there are advertisers, there will be those forms of media that they support. People like newspapers because they offer local sports coverage (sorry, your kid probably won't be on MSNBC online) and other local stories. Overall, the Internet is another tool that all journalists can use for research and access.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23030, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Robert29552
    Participant
    As a television reporter for almost 20 years, I've seen the Internet make my job easier--and more difficult. It's easier to find information quickly, and email is faster than regular mail and usually more convenient than faxes. It's made it harder on journalists because TV stations and newspapers now have websites that need content. When I started in this business, I would usually work on one or two stories each day. Now, I also have to write a version of each story for the web after I've finished my usual work. As for training and education, I think future journalists will have to take into account the different writing styles of the different media. A story I write for TV may look and sound great on air, but it wouldn't look good or read well on the Internet. I don't think the Internet will ever replace broadcast journalism, so I'm not nervous about that.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert29552, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 42, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : TV reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.