Dumb and dumber

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

KL26932
    Participant
    Why is it that in high school, it's cool to be dumb, to seem dumb or to do badly in school? I'm more than an average student, and have been criticized for being so. Mind you, I don't show off. So why is this?
    Original Code A43. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : KL26932, Age : 15, City : Hamilton, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Rhiannon
    Your question and the responses struck a chord with me. I was also a brainy high school student with poor social skills and few friends. I was accustomed to the taunts and the mockery until I was about 16. I was painfully lonely. I still have a recurring nightmare that I'm forced to go back to high school. But things got better for me, and they will for you, too. When I went to college, I met lots of people I could relate to who were also "brains," and made many friends. Now, I'm a few months away from a PhD. and have close friends and a boyfriend I'm about to move in with.

I don't know what it is about high schools that make them horrible cauldrons of conformity (just look what happened in Littleton, Co.). But when you get out of high school, you'll find that it's a big world out there, and while lots of people may still think you're weird, you'll find many others who appreciate you. And the most interesting, unique people I know were outcasts in high school. Welcome to our club.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 28, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Media studies graduate student, 

Kat26805
    Participant
    We don't like to shine in high school because as teenagers we aren't much more, mentally, than a herd of sheep. Everyone wants to blend in, fit in, not look or act differently, because the herd will cast you out as a traitor, the enemy, in two seconds flat.

My entire high school was gifted, so as nerds we (for the most part) felt quite happy and well-adjusted. We had weird, goofy cliques and oddity was encouraged, not squished. College for me, though, was instant immersion into 18,000 publicly schooled yahoos at a southern public college - I was miserable. But, hey, I got through it and now, six years later, I'm much happier and well-adapted than ever before.

It's OK to be weird or off in high school. Study hard and keep on trucking. You'll hit your stride and blossom in time, into the right set of friends and circumstances. Hang in there!

User Detail :  

Name : Kat26805, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Software, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina
    In my high school, it was not cool to be dumb. In fact, the 'in crowd' were people who were very smart. One of the criteria to be in there was to be intelligent. Even if you weren't in that group, you got some respect if you were able to be in the honors classes and attain a decent GPA. Mind you, I went to a private Christian school, so the environment and goals were different Plus, I think the because the parents had to pay for their kids' schooling, they got on them more to get good grades. That's why my high school 'culture' encouraged it. Still, though, there were the bullies (who in this case were really smart) who controlled everything and everybody. Basically to be 'all-of-that,' you had to kiss somebody's behind. I think in general, in the high school environment, if you refuse to stick to the 'norm,' you will be made fun of. This could be through grades, how you dress, or whatever it is. I myself was considered very smart in my high school, but I still wasn't accepted fully because I am an introvert who wasn't going to worship somebody to get their friendship. Although real life is more accepting of 'nerdiness,' even then being different can cause someone to be an outcast. I think that's what the issue is, overall. It is something you must try to ignore, because what people tease you about today may be what they adore about you in the future.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Teresa C.
    Participant
    Teens can rarely see beyond the here and now or aim for anything higher. Except me or you, that is.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa C., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, 

Mixcoatl20271
    Participant
    I do aim for something higher. If not, what would be the purpose of living? I agree there are some teens thinking only in the present, but there are many others planning for the long-term. I blame 'some' part on society and an MTV-ish media on sending messages to teens that they have to do things now or never.

User Detail :  

Name : Mixcoatl20271, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Nuevo Laredo, State : NA Country : Mexico, 

Ed Adcock
    Participant
    Don't worry. It was the same back in the 50's and 60's. Instead of calling you a nerd/geek/whatever, soon they will learn to call you Sir, Ma'am, or Boss.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed Adcock, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Not sure of sexual orientation, Disability : ADD, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 56, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Technician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rich28437
    Participant
    Hello. I'm a husbasd and father who was born with epilepsy and I have had a brain tumor removed and, seven days later, got a brain hemmorage. The surgurie left me poor judgement, poor impulse control, poor memory and a mean disposition. I say AWFUL things to my son and my wife. I love them, but I can't stop verbally and mentally abusing them. Medication has not helped. At this point, my wife has thrown me out to protect our son. Finacially she is the sole support for the family. We have not had sex let alone made love for about year. Please, please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

User Detail :  

Name : Rich28437, City : Toronto, State : NY Country : Canada, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.