Driving (and leaning) while black…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

M.O.
    Participant
    Why is it that when black people are behind the wheel of a car, they never sit up straight but instead lean to the side? In my city, this is the norm. Also, in my experience, black people where I live are generally very bad drivers. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : M.O., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 44, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

April
    Participant
    From what I know, it is a trend. Yes, mostly a black trend, but to lean over is the norm for a lot of young black men. When you are leaning, you are seen as 'laid-back' and 'relaxed.' It's just one of those things that a lot of young men do. Why do some white teens color their hair purple, or pierce their eyebrows? Same reason: to follow a trend.

Why are they bad drivers? I don't know. From what I observe, a lot of young people are bad drivers. Not enough experience, I imagine.

User Detail :  

Name : April, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    In my experience, anyone who does not drive the way you drive is a 'bad driver.' That means, according to each one of us, everyone else is a bad driver! What are the odds? Individual ego is getting in the way of better judgment. I hesitate to criticize other people's driving because I feel my own skills leave a lot to be desired. However, I, too, am intrigued by the way many people, particularly guys, push their seat all the way back and then hunch forward, hanging on to the steering wheel for balance. This looks like it would hurt. So I'm extremely curious about that, and hope you receive responses explaining that phenomenon.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    It's all about being 'cool'. And it's not new. My Dad and uncles use to 'gangsta lean' all the time when I was growing up. It's one thing to have a car, it's a whole other thing to have the right attitude in your car. Imagine a grown black man driving all huddled up like a little old lady, not cool, plain and simple. One of the down sides to being 'cool' in your car is that you are easily distracted, placing you in the 'bad driver' category. But the same can be said for women who put on their makeup on the car of for professionals who talk on their cell phones.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black and Filipino, Religion : Catholic, Age : 27, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : library clerk, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Adam
    Participant
    This phenomena originated in the ghetto. If you sit back far enough, nobody can see who you are, especially the police. Also, it gives a feeling of prowling and coolness. A lot of young blacks these days, whether they are rich or poor or in the middle, have taken ghetto culture as their own and opted to glorify this extremely negative aspect of black culture either as a way of being 'hard' or as an affront to a real or perceived white opression, or just because it is what is available to and expected of them. There are other reasons for this adoption of cultural traits, but these three are the most significant. And this latter part describes why most black men drive this way (i know it sounds superfluous).

User Detail :  

Name : Adam, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Pineville, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jaeden
    I don't really know why young males do this, but I do know that it is not just black males at least not where I live. Here in California there are whites, hispanics, asians, and typically any young male that listens to rap music doing the whole learning while driving thing. As far as driving badly I think that goes with being young as well as the leaning position. This position while driving also looks unsafe to me like they might not be able to control the car as well if something unexpected happend. All I can say is I hope for the sake of them selves and other drivers that the trend will soon dissolve.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaeden, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : biracial, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : modesto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dan27131
    Participant
    Anyone who hasn't taken basic EVOC training (what they put cops and emergency vehicle drivers through) or who doesn't have a racing license from an accredited school is more or less a bad driver.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27131, Gender : M, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Future Social Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kelly26555
    Participant
    In my city I see just as many Asian and Caucasian males driving in a semi-reclined position and/or leaning in some way as I do African Americans. The one thing they do have in common is that invariably they're young males. Why? I don't know. I find it difficult to see or reach the pedals if I'm not sitting up right. Now, I imagine people lean while sitting low in the seat because that may make it a little easier to see, otherwise one would only have a view of the instrument panel.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly26555, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DeJanae
    Participant
    I think it's incorrect to say that only blacks lean to the side while driving. True enough, I have seen black people in their pimp pose (leaning to the side while driving) but not only black people do that. Where I live it's the norm to see the majority of young males sitting like that while driving, whether they are black, white, Latino, Asian, whatever. My friend (who's Mexican a male) and I once had a similar conversation about different driving styles, we came to the conclusion that usually males leans while most females sit up straight.

User Detail :  

Name : DeJanae, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 17, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

J. Smith
    I have seen guys do this too. And I've seen both blacks and whites do so. It's becuase they're trying to be a thug or to show off their ride. It's just a way to tell people what kind of person you are or what kind a person you want to be.Also, guys do this to attract women (older than me)that are walking or driving.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Smith, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student-high school, Social class : Middle class, 

Simone-Prim28012
    Participant
    I dont wanna come off mean, but I'm about to say whats on my mind, cause that's just how I am. Let me tell you something, I am a 18 year old black/female and hunny I see white folks leaning back, to the side, picking they nose, reading books or doing other crap and yes I see some blacks and other races doing stupid stuff while they drive. Whats really wrong with leaning while your driving? Dont you dare think because you see a few people that are a certain race you can put them in a category. You dont want me to say all white people smell like wet dogs when they get wet or put you'll in a certain category that dont make any sense. I dont believe you'll smell like wet dogs or anything so dont think I do. Im sorry if you feel that I am all up in your butt, but I'm tired of people putting different races in categories it pissess me off. Just drive like you want to and mind your business. I dont here on the news about an accident because a black person was lenning to the side in their car. I hear about accidents with drunk driver. Lets get our heads out of the gutter and concentrate on the things that matter. Thank you!

User Detail :  

Name : Simone-Prim28012, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, 
    Hey lady, try to continue school for more than 2 years because you're getting old and more ignorant.

User Detail :  

Name : Jared WhiteCrack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : anytown, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.